The Student Room Group

**megathread** - the best ukcat books?? (2018 entry)

I’ve booked my UKCAT test for August this year and wondered if anyone knew the best books to buy. I'm kinda broke so don’t really want to spend too much. Does anyone know the best UKCAT books to prepare for the exam?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

The ISC 1000Q one is pretty good. The questions are fairly hard but the actual test will feel like smooth sailing after them!
booked mine for 30th august

just bought the 1500 uckat questions (or whatever it was, think it was £10 off amazon)
the third edition of 600 book is out which is 1250 questions, good start then move onto medify or something like that. good books but have reputation of being harder than medify and the actual exam but think this could be a good thing due to being over prepared
Yes agreed. The ISC 1250Q book which is the 2018 entry version of the 1000Q book is the best one to start with (See here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1905812264/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495692173&sr=8-1&keywords=ukcat). Then Medify as xJessScott says.
Reply 5
Hey :-) Yes, the ISC book is a good start, as is Kaplan's Score Higher on the UKCAT (mainly for it's explanations but beware of outdated sections in older editions). If you're looking for online practice, you obviously have the official mocks but you can also find some stuff on our website (including free resources!)

Best of luck,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
Get Medify. That's the main one. I used the 1000q book at the start but it just demotivated me so eh. I got 810 last year in my UKCAT, I will answer any questions if u want
Original post by isabella1999
Get Medify. That's the main one. I used the 1000q book at the start but it just demotivated me so eh. I got 810 last year in my UKCAT, I will answer any questions if u want

ah well done on your score! did you get an offer for this September then? i applied for September but got rejected as i only got 643 average in UKCAT i used medify a lot and it helped loads! using it again for 2018 entry and hopefully get a score more like yours aha
Hey guys,

I did the UKCat and I'm now in year 1, studying dentistry. Any questions or queries, feel free to message me :smile:
Original post by Moniqueue1994
I’ve booked my UKCAT test for August this year and wondered if anyone knew the best books to buy. I'm kinda broke so don’t really want to spend too much. Does anyone know the best UKCAT books to prepare for the exam?

Thanks in advance :smile:

ISC 1250 book is good for Abstract and Quantitative. Has really good and harder questions that make the real thing easier .

The Ultimate UKCAT guide: 1250 qs by Rohan Aggarwal et al is really good for Decision Making.

Score higher in the UKCAT by Kaplan is really good for VR but do be aware it doesnt contain any Decision Making questions. However they do provide access to online material to prepare for DM.

Hope that helps. Best of luck
Hey guys,
I'm selling some UKCAT, BMAT and interview prep books. Please PM me if you're interested :smile:
Original post by xJessScott
ah well done on your score! did you get an offer for this September then? i applied for September but got rejected as i only got 643 average in UKCAT i used medify a lot and it helped loads! using it again for 2018 entry and hopefully get a score more like yours aha

wasnt the average last year 630? i would have thought your score would have been good enough?
Original post by shawnmendesfan
wasnt the average last year 630? i would have thought your score would have been good enough?

depends on the uni, i didnt do too well in gcses and a levels so have to apply to unis that dont particlarly look at my other stuff, e.g warwick and newcastle only look at my degree, but newcastles cut off for 2017 entry was 700 for a100 and 743 for a101. but yeah the average was that
The Kaplan books is the yellow one third edition the newest and best one for this year I think it has 1000Q becuase there are two yellow books out
Original post by xJessScott
depends on the uni, i didnt do too well in gcses and a levels so have to apply to unis that dont particlarly look at my other stuff, e.g warwick and newcastle only look at my degree, but newcastles cut off for 2017 entry was 700 for a100 and 743 for a101. but yeah the average was that

I am in the exact same position as you right now! applied last year had a below 700 average as VR let me down - my gcse and alevels arent really med school standard so I have to be super picky with which universities i apply to - it's tough to say the least! :u:
Original post by hahuss001
I am in the exact same position as you right now! applied last year had a below 700 average as VR let me down - my gcse and alevels arent really med school standard so I have to be super picky with which universities i apply to - it's tough to say the least! :u:

Yeah I agree. It is really difficult. I have the entry requirements for Warwick and newcastle and then just sort of risking the other choice as it is possible if I get a high ukcat

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is always good to get practice of different types of questions. The ISC book is extremely difficult and not representative of the actual exam - but this doesn't mean that you should avoid their book completely. Sometimes doing harder questions will mean you find averagely difficult questions easy

KAPLAN is also good, and they give good advice for timings but their content is slightly out of date - it's still a fairly reputable book.

For a question bank, I'd recommend Medify - A resource we give free to all of our Medic Mind Mentees for one month.
For theory and explanations, I would have a look at our 6 Medic Mind books (one for each section, plus a special UCAS book) that we give for £20 in total - http://www.medicmind.co.uk/ukcat-books.html

Have a look at the Verbal Reasoning section of it to get an idea.

Hope that helps!

Mohil
UCL Medicine Y4
medicmind.co.uk/ukcat-mentoring
(edited 6 years ago)

well done! i was wondering could you give me any tips on how to improve in QR because i've been doing all the 1000 QR questions as well as onlin, yet am only able to answer 10 in the time limit. it's not the fact that idk how to answer them, i just find it impossible to answer each question in 40 seconds sue to its complications. Also, if you have any other tips on how i can get 810 like you, please let me know thanks! :smile:

Do you think medify was the main reason to why you got 810 last year?
Original post by Medic Mind
It is always good to get practice of different types of questions. The ISC book is extremely difficult and not representative of the actual exam - but this doesn't mean that you should avoid their book completely. Sometimes doing harder questions will mean you find averagely difficult questions easy

KAPLAN is also good, and they give good advice for timings but their content is slightly out of date - it's still a fairly reputable book.

For a question bank, I'd recommend Medify - A resource we give free to all of our Medic Mind Mentees for one month.
For theory and explanations, I would have a look at our 6 Medic Mind books (one for each section, plus a special UCAS book) that we give for £20 in total - http://www.medicmind.co.uk/ukcat-books.html

Have a look at the Verbal Reasoning section of it to get an idea.

Hope that helps!

Mohil
UCL Medicine Y4
medicmind.co.uk/ukcat-mentoring

I just got access to your books today but thank you so much they've already helped me and I feel more confident for my exam next Wednesday!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending