The Student Room Group

Any gardeners here? Need fast-growing climbing plants

Couldn't find the right forum so I'm putting it here.
Attachment not found

I have a really ugly south-east facing brick wall at the top of my garden that I want to cover with thick vegetation. I was thinking of Ivy but that can get out of hand. I need something thick (and ideally evergreen) to cover it up quickly.

I also have a west facing fence at the bottom with the conservatory. I need something visually appealing to cover that area.

In both cases, I will be using a trellis/chicken wire to support the plants so any advice would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

clematis armandii?
Thanks. Seems like a pretty popular plant but one that is suited to shade. The wall I want to cover will receive a lot of harsh sunlight so maybe not entirely suitable.
My clematis grows well in full sun. The BBC gardening website can help you find the right ones
Original post by hamzaahmad786
Thanks. Seems like a pretty popular plant but one that is suited to shade. The wall I want to cover will receive a lot of harsh sunlight so maybe not entirely suitable.

RHS says differently, it is ideal for the job and quite beautiful.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=97
Original post by Sammylou40
My clematis grows well in full sun. The BBC gardening website can help you find the right ones

Which clematis do you have because the armandii one says it needs to be sheltered on the RHS website.
Attachment not found

I have a really ugly south-east facing brick wall at the top of my garden that I want to cover with thick vegetation. I was thinking of Ivy but that can get out of hand. I need something thick (and ideally evergreen) to cover it up quickly.

I also have a west facing fence at the bottom with the conservatory. I need something visually appealing to cover that area.

In both cases, I will be using a trellis/chicken wire to support the plants so any advice would be appreciated.

We have some roses that climb up our fence they were just shy of 1ft last year and are now at the top of our 6ft fence!
because the armandii one says it needs to be sheltered on the RHS website.

No it doesn't.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=453

A Virginia creeper would be a good choice for quick wall coverage, and you get the benefit of autumn colour. Apart from that, you will need to balance flowers and seasonal interest with evergreen coverage of the wall. To this end, I'd suggest a 'background' coverage with something planted in front for interest - standard roses would work well in full sun (so long as the roots aren't being baked and the soil is suitable), or even annual plants like sweet peas either grown on obelisks or cordon trained.
x

"A vigorous species for a warm south or south-west facing wall with protection from cold winds."
My personal preference has to be Ceiba pentandra. It's got a great growth rate and I've had strong results with it for a number of years.
Original post by Meany Pie
"A vigorous species for a warm south or south-west facing wall with protection from cold winds."

oh my bad. thanks
Original post by Reality Check
A Virginia creeper would be a good choice for quick wall coverage, and you get the benefit of autumn colour. Apart from that, you will need to balance flowers and seasonal interest with evergreen coverage of the wall. To this end, I'd suggest a 'background' coverage with something planted in front for interest - standard roses would work well in full sun (so long as the roots aren't being baked and the soil is suitable), or even annual plants like sweet peas either grown on obelisks or cordon trained.

I was considering Virginia creepers to. and the autumn colour would be great.
Original post by Preece95
We have some roses that climb up our fence they were just shy of 1ft last year and are now at the top of our 6ft fence!

Interesting. Do you think roses plants would be suitable/economical for a 5m long wall, I mean how much would I need?
I was considering Virginia creepers to. and the autumn colour would be great.

We have several over various structures and I find them to be quite a workhorse. They're drought-tolerant once they've become established and aren't fussy with soil type or even aspect (though your full sun will be ideal).
Thanks all. Any suggestions for the West facing fence (It's actually going to be on trellis's to avoid damaging the fence)
Original post by donnaseemchandra
My personal preference has to be Ceiba pentandra. It's got a great growth rate and I've had strong results with it for a number of years.

not sure trees grow on walls buddy
Interesting. Do you think roses plants would be suitable/economical for a 5m long wall, I mean how much would I need?

We have two plants and they have spread really well... I wouldn't go for the kreepers my mum has this on her house and it's overrun it and a pain to get rid of! I'd say it would be fine for a 5m wall. ours is probably about that maybe just under so 2 or 3 plants? They don't require much maintenance either. Although we have applied wires for it to crawl along as it grows, and I guess it needs pruning every now and then! But it is a good plant and not high maintenance at all!

Quick Reply

Latest