The Student Room Group

As edexcel biology unit 1 25 may 2017 unofficial mark scheme

Hi guys, hope we all smashed that exam, it was kind of good. Here are my answers that I managed to jot down. Please add your own too :biggrin:
1) a) i) Age ii) General increase in heart rate, avg 52 Beats per min iii) Zebrafish is transparent - easy to see heart etc. Abundant/not rare
iv)verterbrate unlike daphnia so feels pain
b) i) A ii) D
2) a) i) B ii) Diffusion through cell membrane only because single celled & low SA:VOL ratio
b) Alveoli - increase surface area etc
c) 1.05%
d) steepen concentration gradient to make up for high SA:VOL ratio caused by enlarged sacs
3) a) dipolar (explain) glucose attracted, cohesion etc
b) polar, requires channel/carrier protein therefore is facilitated diffusion
c) osmotic effect of glucose. Glycogen insoluble and not polar. Glucose is soluble and polar.
d) i) a-Glucose, 1-4 Glycosidic bonds
ii) Angles of 1-4 glycosidic bonds between a-glucose makes it coil up ->compact. Also insoluble so isnt hydrolysed and glucose not used up until necessary.
4) a) A
b) forgot my answer :/
c) repeat and get average
5) a) D
b) i) wtf was that diagram ii) A
c) i) 27.7% ii) C iii) stored as tryglyceride
d) Explain what CF is and how it happens (chloride ions not being released into mucus etc), mucus builds up in tube between pancreas and small intestine, less digestion, malnourishment, requires higher energy intake.
6) a) collagen - strength to withstand ; elastic fibres - contract to maintain high blood pressure
b) i) atherosclerosis explanation ii) increases blood pressure, risk of another damage and inflammatory response iii) B - antihypertensive
7) a) described structure of mononucleotide, phosphodiester bonds through condensation reactions between phoshate of one and pentose of another. hydrogen bonds, complementary base pairing.
b) just explain mesehlson-stahl findings and how its semi-conservative
c) both have pentose sugar but in DNA its DEOXYRIBOSE and in ATP its RIBOSE. both have phosphate but ATP had triphosphate. Both have nitrogenous base.
8) a) catalyses reactions in organisms by reducing activation energy.
b) i) say collagen is fibrous and enzyme is globular. both consist of polypeptide chains made of amino acids linked with peptide bonds. fibrous have little/no tertiary structure, globular does. explain solubility and insolubility and fibrous has a structural role while glob has functional
ii) 5 different solutions, same volume different concentration. place 5 pieces of same mass collagen and leave for set time. use colorimeter. more colour = less activity.
c) not really valid bc could just be due to enzyme being used up, didnt use control with 0% concentration to compare.

Hope we all smashed it. Please correct any mistakes ^ :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ismail55325
Hi guys, hope we all smashed that exam, it was kind of good. Here are my answers that I managed to jot down. Please add your own too :biggrin:
1) a) i) Age ii) General increase in heart rate, avg 52 Beats per min iii) Zebrafish is transparent - easy to see heart etc. Abundant/not rare
b) i) A ii) D
2) a) i) B ii) Diffusion through cell membrane only because single celled & low SA:VOL ratio
c) 1.05%
d) steepen concentration gradient to make up for high SA:VOL ratio caused by enlarged sacs
c) osmotic effect of glucose. Glycogen insoluble and not polar. Glucose is soluble and polar.
ii) Angles of 1-4 glycosidic bonds between a-glucose makes it coil up ->compact. Also insoluble so isnt hydrolysed and glucose not used up until necessary.
4) a) A
5) a) D
d) Explain what CF is and how it happens (chloride ions not being released into mucus etc), mucus builds up in tube between pancreas and small intestine, less digestion, malnourishment, requires higher energy intake.
6) a) collagen - strength to withstand ; elastic fibres - contract to maintain high blood pressure
b) i) atherosclerosis explanation ii) increases blood pressure, risk of another damage and inflammatory response iii) B - antihypertensive
7) a) described structure of mononucleotide, phosphodiester bonds through condensation reactions between phoshate of one and pentose of another. hydrogen bonds, complementary base pairing.
c) both have pentose sugar but in DNA its DEOXYRIBOSE and in ATP its RIBOSE. both have phosphate but ATP had triphosphate. Both have nitrogenous base.
b) i) say collagen is fibrous and enzyme is globular. both consist of polypeptide chains made of amino acids linked with peptide bonds. fibrous have little/no tertiary structure, globular does. explain solubility and insolubility and fibrous has a structural role while glob has functional
ii) 5 different solutions, same volume different concentration. place 5 pieces of same mass collagen and leave for set time. use colorimeter. more colour = less activity.
c) not really valid bc could just be due to enzyme being used up, didnt use control with 0% concentration to compare.

What do you think the grade boundaries are this year?
Reply 2
Original post by ella.k00
What do you think the grade boundaries are this year?

tbh i think they're going to be around the same, but all Edexcel have done this year is screw us over so lets see :frown:
Reply 3
b) i) A ii) D
c) 1.05%
4) a) A
5) a) D

1 B ii. A
2 B ii. Surely if its a single celled organism it has a large SA:V ratio
3 D ii. Glycogen is easily hydrolysed because it has branches.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by H1.Hashim
1 B ii. A
3 D ii. Glucose is soluble

the glycogen is insoluble not the glucose, the q was on glycogen and what was question 1bii again? thanks :smile:
Reply 5
the glycogen is insoluble not the glucose, the q was on glycogen and what was question 1bii again? thanks :smile:

It was about the blood pressure and we had to pick one of the arrows I believe
Is this new or old spec?
Reply 7
It was about the blood pressure and we had to pick one of the arrows I believe

so wouldnt it be D, straight after the blood leaves the heart?
Reply 8
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Is this new or old spec?

New
New

Are you guys the ones who got a 6 marker on what affects a microscopes resolution?
1 B ii. A
3 D ii. Glycogen is easily hydrolysed because it has branches.

For 2 b ii. I said shorter diffusion thickness given that its 1 cell thick so diffusion from surroundings is adequate to supply cell organs, would this be correct?
Are you guys the ones who got a 6 marker on what affects a microscopes resolution?

nope
Original post by Jturner05
For 2 b ii. I said shorter diffusion thickness given that its 1 cell thick so diffusion from surroundings is adequate to supply cell organs, would this be correct?

probably, it makes sense :biggrin:
nope

is this edexcel biology b or a
is this edexcel biology b or a

biology A
Reply 15
b) i) A ii) D
c) 1.05%
4) a) A
5) a) D

wow i think I did okay then :smile:
lol for that question for UK death rate per 10000 i got 1 in 95 im not sure because people were putting percentages i did 10000/105
Anyone got any clue of what the grade boundaries are gonna be looking like?
probably, it makes sense :biggrin:

Okay phew😂 Also, for 8c, the enzyme isn't used up, it's the substrate going from reactants to products!
Original post by Jturner05
Okay phew😂 Also, for 8c, the enzyme isn't used up, it's the substrate going from reactants to products!

Ahhh hope i get marks for saying there wasn't a comparison with 0% solution
Reply 19
Original post by kk2000
wow i think I did okay then :smile:
lol for that question for UK death rate per 10000 i got 1 in 95 im not sure because people were putting percentages i did 10000/105

I did both and got 1.05% chance or 1 in 95 chance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending