The Student Room Group

Fasting and gains

Lads how would you recommend maintaining most, if not all of my gains while fasting for 18hrs?
You're not gonna lose any gains in 18 hours. You'll drop some water and glycogen so you might look flatter, but get some carbs back in you and you'll look the same as you did before the fast.
Original post by WoodyMKC
You're not gonna lose any gains in 18 hours. You'll drop some water and glycogen so you might look flatter, but get some carbs back in you and you'll look the same as you did before the fast.

essentially he means a whole month of going without food or water for 18-19 hours a day.

but otherwise agree with what you say.
Training is going to suck during ramadan. I'd not aim to gain anything over it, aim to maintain, train at the end of your fast or during your eating time. Eat big and just wait it out
Original post by quasa
essentially he means a whole month of going without food or water for 18-19 hours a day.

but otherwise agree with what you say.

Ah right, yeah when I wrote that post I'd totally forgot Ramadan season was coming up otherwise it would have clicked :lol: Well, either way, total caloric intake per day is going to be the main factor. Casein at the end of your feeding window is a good idea. Ideally, have a nap toward the end of your fast, wake up at the start of Iftar, get your calories in and train just before your last meal.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Angry cucumber
Training is going to suck during ramadan. I'd not aim to gain anything over it, aim to maintain, train at the end of your fast or during your eating time. Eat big and just wait it out

Original post by WoodyMKC
Ah right, yeah when I wrote that post I'd totally forgot Ramadan season was coming up otherwise it would have clicked :lol: Well, either way, total caloric intake per day is going to be the main factor. Casein at the end of your feeding window is a good idea. Ideally, have a nap toward the end of your fast, wake up at the start of Iftar, get your calories in and train just before your last meal.

My gym isn't 24 hours so I'm unfortunately gonna have to skip it for a whole month.

What I'm doing is having 2 scoops of whey in the morning and when breaking the fast so I'd hopefully retain most of it. Maybe a few pushups/dips at home too.
Strength is one of the most resilient physiological adaptations once you've gained it as hard as it is to come by so it won't be a complete bloodbath once you get back into it. Getting as much protein inside you as you can safely do will reduce muscle loss and anything you do to tell your body you will still need the strength will stop the wastage.

When you get back into it your CNS detrains quicker than your muscles and your muscles detrain quicker than your ligaments and tendons so you you might actually end up lifting more than your muscles are adapted to which leads to the most brutal DOMS even if you completed the work out.
Reply 7
High frequency training post iftaar with a decent amount of protein and calories within the 6 hours window. It's basically impossible to bulk effectively so just cut effectively because you can.

Original post by Jirga
My gym isn't 24 hours so I'm unfortunately gonna have to skip it for a whole month.

What I'm doing is having 2 scoops of whey in the morning and when breaking the fast so I'd hopefully retain most of it. Maybe a few pushups/dips at home too.

Do band workouts and get a pull up bar, that should largely sort you out for upper body tbh.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest