The Student Room Group
University of Bedfordshire | Outside Campus Centre
University of Bedfordshire
Luton
Visit website

Graduation Gown

Why is a Graduation Gown so expensive to rent? Are there no cheaper alternatives...?
Reply 1
Original post by MathewTT
Why is a Graduation Gown so expensive to rent? Are there no cheaper alternatives...?

Hi Mathew . Im new to the Student room too. I was thinking the same thing iv been told it will be at least £55 to rent for half a day !!! WTF?
University of Bedfordshire | Outside Campus Centre
University of Bedfordshire
Luton
Visit website
Reply 2
Universities should provide gowns. Essentially it's just a black cape, so it shouldn't cost that's a stress at the end of term with people typically worrying about overdrafts and their future employment.
(edited 6 years ago)
Wait til you see the price of the official photos.
Ah I know it is ridiculous! I remember that when I graduated. after all the expense of university it's a shame that they can't subsidise the cost for the graduation gowns x and yes the photos are ridiculously expensive to if you want a photo of you shaking hands with someone you don't even remember the name of :P
I found the hat measuring the hardest bit haha I didn't have a tape measure so had to wrap my bra round my head to how big it was. Haha worked though x
It's because most likely they will be the only supplier.
As for not knowing whose hand your shaking. If you can't recognise your vice chancellor after 3years your doing something wrong
Original post by niteninja1
As for not knowing whose hand your shaking. If you can't recognise your vice chancellor after 3years your doing something wrong

our uni was on multiple campus's and he never really came to visit ours and he was new so must of only seen him around a couple of times. plus our course was purely independent study with a few lectures in yet another building so didn't get to see much of anyone who wasn't on my course. The group photos you take of you and your classmates, friends and family are always the most cherished
Can't talk much for the event itself, but I'm just going to take a picture of myself outside the uni with my degree in hand and photoshop a gown and hat on. Then print, frame and send to my mother. Much easier, much cheaper.

(This option requires some digital skills though)
Original post by jgoddard08
Can't talk much for the event itself, but I'm just going to take a picture of myself outside the uni with my degree in hand and photoshop a gown and hat on. Then print, frame and send to my mother. Much easier, much cheaper.

(This option requires some digital skills though)

Wow... are you actually being serious? Please tell me you're taking the piss.
Original post by Reality Check
Wow... are you actually being serious? Please tell me you're taking the piss.

Maybe, it's always an option, and a reasonable one at that. I'm merely suggesting an alternative. Funny though it may sound, and deliberately so, on a serious note it is actually quite efficient.

You can disagree if you like, it wouldn't be for everyone. I'm merely thinking outside the box :smile:
Original post by jgoddard08
Maybe, it's always an option, and a reasonable one at that. I'm merely suggesting an alternative. Funny though it may sound, and deliberately so, on a serious note it is actually quite efficient.

You can disagree if you like, it wouldn't be for everyone. I'm merely thinking outside the box :smile:

Well, it's certainly different! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending