The Student Room Group

Misreading questions

I've been worried sick after my Eng Lit exam because I misread a question on Mrs Birling and wrote my entire essay on Mr Birling instead! How will i be penalised and how do you think it will be marked??

Scroll to see replies

Wow that is a toughie, you may get no marks, that is quite unfortunate
Lol damn AQA have done this on purpose. A very surprisingly substantial number of people, are going to have made this mistake. Some won't even realize they made the mistake. This is a classic thing AQA like to do. Sorry.

On the plus side though, the grade boundaries are going to be very low, most likely. It's the first year of a hard, new specification, and all foundation people are doing it as well. Keep the faith!
Reply 3
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Wow that is a toughie, you may get no marks, that is quite unfortunate

Well, Eva Smith won't be the only one drinking bleach tonight.:h:
Original post by doII
Well, Eva Smith won't be the only one drinking bleach tonight.:h:

lmao got a chuckle out of me, well done
Original post by School_ftw
Lol damn AQA have done this on purpose. A very surprisingly substantial number of people, are going to have made this mistake. Some won't even realize they made the mistake. This is a classic thing AQA like to do. Sorry.

On the plus side though, the grade boundaries are going to be very low, most likely. It's the first year of a hard, new specification, and all foundation people are doing it as well. Keep the faith!

No, they haven't.

It's an easy mistake to make but there's no reason why it would have been done intentionally. People were just expecting a Mr. Birling question over a Mrs. Birling question.
Did you mention Mrs. Birling at all? You'll get marks there. If you've neglected all mention of Mrs. Birling, I'm afraid you're going to be very restricted in your marks.
Loads of people at my school read the question wrong so you're not the only one
Original post by _gcx
No, they haven't.

It's an easy mistake to make but there's no reason why it would have been done intentionally. People were just expecting a Mr. Birling question over a Mrs. Birling question.

Actually, it most likely was. They could have written either "Sybil Birling" or "Arthur Birling", EXACTLY how they did in their specification papers. AQA did a similar thing with the start of the old English Literature specification that my brother sat. He made that mistake, as did a lot of other people. There was a storm on twitter, and I remember AQA tweeting a thing or two about it, with them admitting they had made it too easy for people to fall for the mistake. I'll see if I can find it.

And even if it was done unintentionally, it is a mistake that is too easily made - hence why thousands would have very likely made it today (evident by the numerous threads on TSR and reactions I saw at my school). They would have picked up on it. This common mistake will likely show in the grade boundaries.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by School_ftw
Actually, it most likely is. They could have written either "Sybil Birling" or "Arthur Birling", EXACTLY how they did in their specification papers. AQA did a similar thing with the start of the old English Literature specification that my brother sat. He made that mistake, as did a lot of other people. There was a storm on twitter, and I remember AQA tweeting a thing or two about it, with them admitting they had made it too easy for people to fall for the mistake. I'll see if I can find it.

And even if it was done unintentionally, it is a mistake that is too easily made - hence why thousands would have very likely made it today (evident by the numerous threads on TSR and reactions I saw at my school). They would have picked up on it. This common mistake will likely show in the grade boundaries.

I agree with the second paragraph and I do admit that it was an easy mistake to make. (though, when I did the paper I did read it correctly, and chose the other question accordingly. I do see how it could have been misread if read quickly) Still, it's rather a reminder to read questions carefully, highlight parts of the question, etc. I may be wrong, but I'm sure my copy of the text called Sybil, "Mrs. Birling" as opposed to "Sybil". Doing it on purpose would be quite pointless, it would only reflect poorly on the exam board.

But yes, we can all enjoy lower grade boundaries.
Reply 10
You can't change anything now, so use this as a learning point for the future. Everyone makes mistakes - it's just unfortunate that yours came during an important exam, and not during a mock (but that's one of the reasons mock exams exist).

Read questions carefully. You might want to underline or highlight key words. Read and understand what the question is actually asking, and not just what you hope or want it to say. Refer back to the question regularly if writing a longer answer such as an essay. It can hep to go through the whole paper and read all of the questions before you actually start writing anything.
I did the exact same thing today. My mate asked me which question I did and I was like 'the first on on Mr Birling' and they were like 'NAHHH IT SAID MRS BIRLING!' and ive been in total shock since then, almost 4 hours ago.
I don't see why the didn't make it more explicit. The significance in terms of character between Mr and Mrs Birling is massive, so by not using Arthur or Sybil, and not making 'Mrs' in bold at least is quite head-scratching - especially since hundreds of thousands of student are gonna be reading it, expecting a question on *Mr* Birling. I got a 9 on my mock, so with 30 marks down the drain I think I'll be lucky with a 6. ****ing bs
why they say always read the question and underline it! Send at least a decent time reading and planning... but.. hope it goes okay i feel for you
Reply 13
I'm sure you should still get your SPAG marks lol
Reply 14
That sucks

How did you not reread it? Didn't you plan or anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't worry, I've seen around 10 people who've done that at my school. In the future, make sure to highlight key words, and forget about the exam, what has been done, has been done. I'm sure the exam board will not restrict you, and possibly allow you to get full marks, if possible, since many people have made this mistake.
Same! I'm worrying so much I was hoping for an 8 but I completely messed up on the inspector calls question by misreading the question. I didn't read the part about the inspector so wrote my whole essay about the need for change in an inspector calls and only one paragraph mentioned the inspector!
The same thing a has happened to me today. I swear I saw 'Mr Birling' and I wrote a level 8 worthy essay. Then, I went to form time to discuss the exam only to find that everyone was saying that's I misread the question. A few people in my history class did the exact same thing as me and were distraught. AQA should see that even the highest performers have made the same mistake and lower the grade boundaries. I suppose this means that my language grade will be higher than my literature for the first time ever.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
I came out of the exam really satisfied with what I had written, despite running out of time on the third paragraph of unseen Q2. However, when I got out of the exam my friends were talking about how much they wrote and it's making me doubt myself- I seriously don't think I wrote enough for the 7 I was hoping to get. I know quality > quantity but the longest essay I wrote was 2 pages (for anthology section) whilst some people wrote 3/4 for each! :frown: I'm pretty sad about it now & wish I would have worked faster....
Reply 19
Original post by handcrafted
I did the exact same thing today. My mate asked me which question I did and I was like 'the first on on Mr Birling' and they were like 'NAHHH IT SAID MRS BIRLING!' and ive been in total shock since then, almost 4 hours ago.
I don't see why the didn't make it more explicit. The significance in terms of character between Mr and Mrs Birling is massive, so by not using Arthur or Sybil, and not making 'Mrs' in bold at least is quite head-scratching - especially since hundreds of thousands of student are gonna be reading it, expecting a question on *Mr* Birling. I got a 9 on my mock, so with 30 marks down the drain I think I'll be lucky with a 6. ****ing bs

Saw on twitter than a few people had done this, I didn't do this book but since a significant amount of people made this mistake then I'm sure the exam board will take it into consideration and you'll get decent marks as long as you have written a good essay. Don't panic :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest