The Student Room Group

What's the silliest exam mistake you've ever made?

Scroll to see replies

"Je suis dans la table"

I am in the table
Original post by _princessxox
Gcse biology mock
"name an example of a transgenic organism"
I guessed and put "Caitlyn Jenner"
I've never lived that down :smile:

Haha im dying:giggle:
In an in class test (so not really important) all about DNA replication and genes etc I wrote mitochondria every time instead of chromosomes!!! Literally don't know what I was thinking 😅😅😅
Original post by surina16
26/7 = 4 and 2/7

(MEI C1 2017 rhombus q if u can relate lol)

:frown:

(formed basis of the whole question pretty much)

Stupidest thing ever done by MEI, a RHOMBUS???????? I was expecting a circle or atleast a triangle, not a RHOMUBS LIKE WTF.
Original post by Fox Corner
Written the wrong name? Farted in the exam hall? Written answers for the wrong subject?

I once was stressed I called the invigilator mum :doh:didn't really help me focus on my exam!!

What's the silliest mistake you've ever made in an exam?

I answered Question 6 in question 5 box and question 5 in question 6 box. 1 was 5 marks and the other was 6 marks so they were about similar lengths, only realised after the exam but still did well in the exam so they either realised or i did well elsewhere.
Reply 25
Mine was saying pro-life people were for abortion. It was only 3 marks but in Religious studies, where 69/76 (technically 69/72) is an A*, it is a little crushing.
Original post by asinghj
A stupid mistake i did just today was not changing my calculator to radians from degrees...

oh shoot, how did you find the paper? (c2 edexcel?)

our math teacher reminded us before the exam that if we get a dodgy answer, check degrees or radians
I wrote 2 was a prime number and in the very next line wrote 2 wasn't a prime number during a proof of a maths problem.
Original post by E_M_M_I_E
Just because I'm 4'10" doesn't make me any less of a human!! It doesn't make Pluto any less of a planet either! #SolidarityForPluto

If Pluto was considered a planet for its size then we'd have 13-14 total planets.
I wrote the wrong question numbers in my answer booklets, but luckily 5 mins after the exam i realised and managed to go back and asked to change them, thankfully.
I have the same problem
I used to misread 10 as 1 or 0
And also misread the decimal points
Reply 31
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
The silliest and perhaps most crucial was made in a Cambridge admissions test on interview day. It consisted of two questions; the first was number theory, the second mechanics. I got basically nowhere in the first question but I thought I might be okay as I managed a full solution in the second question. Then when it came to the interview where we discussed this, it turned out I had modeled the motion of a falling particle under gravity as linear rather than parabolic, greatly trivializing the derivation of a certain identity.

oh goddamit i know how you feel, i am always trivialising my parabolic derivations fml
Reply 32
Original post by Dominoes
Thought GCSE exams meant something

They don't?
Am I wasting my time?
That's not worse than misreading the question and writing an answer based on a completely different character
I once wrote orgasm instead of organism in a biology mock.
Mortifying.
Original post by BobBobson
I wrote 2 was a prime number and in the very next line wrote 2 wasn't a prime number during a proof of a maths problem.
I'm sure that someone has at least once confused themselves by saying that 2 is a very odd prime number because it's the only prime number that isn't odd...
Silliest mistake I ever made was in a primary school English exam (comprehension test) to determine streaming. I didn't realise there were questions on the other side of the paper, so did rather a lot worse than I should have done. Took about 6 months to catch that up (although given it was primary school the whole thing was pretty meaningless anyhow).
GCSE AQA Geography 2015, I'd gotten a C in my course work, so I needed to do well in the exams to pull my grade up, i finished 30 miniutes early. Got out of the exam, and a friend asked me about an 8 mark question that I hadn't even heard of.

Turns out there were 8 marks on the back cover of the exam that I hadn't seen, and completly missed. Was so mad with myself, ended up getting a B overall, and 4A* to A in total. If I'd just done that question I would have managed 5A*-A, would have gotten on sutton trust programs, pathways to law and other summer schools. Would have given me the extra edge i needed in my uni application.
I still hate myself for that, but on the bright side i always check the back page now
Reply 38
8 x 0 = 8

2 x 12 = 36

No wonder I only got a C in maths :rolleyes:
I convinced myself that I knew what I was doing...

That was a stupid move.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending