The Student Room Group

IELTS condition

Hey, I hold a conditional offer for St. Hugh College which requires an overall band score of 7 in IELTS (with at least 7 in each section). However, I've taken the exam twice, my scores being: 8/7/7/6 (Listening/Reading/Writing/Speaking) and 8.5/8.5/6.5/7.5. Considering the fact that I've managed to get an overall score of 8 last time as well as I got 7 in each section (at least once), do you think that by any chance the University of Oxford will mark this condition as acquired so I don't have to take the exam one more and last time?
No, that is insufficient; they must all be in the same test report.
Reply 2
Original post by jessjanellbhons1
No, that is insufficient; they must all be in the same test report.

I asked this because I'm aware of the fact that they have previously accepted other students which didn't fulfill the former condition.
Original post by dexenberg
Hey, I hold a conditional offer for St. Hugh College which requires an overall band score of 7 in IELTS (with at least 7 in each section). However, I've taken the exam twice, my scores being: 8/7/7/6 (Listening/Reading/Writing/Speaking) and 8.5/8.5/6.5/7.5. Considering the fact that I've managed to get an overall score of 8 last time as well as I got 7 in each section (at least once), do you think that by any chance the University of Oxford will mark this condition as acquired so I don't have to take the exam one more and last time?

St Hugh's might condone your 6.5 and you have nothing to lose by asking them. It may depend on how important writing skills are for your intended programme of study.
Original post by dexenberg
I asked this because I'm aware of the fact that they have previously accepted other students which didn't fulfill the former condition.

Officially, your IELTS scores do not meet the entry requirements. I know many instances of people having to repeat their IELTS exams multiple times to get the minimum scores in all the bands in one test report form, despite being in a similar situation as you are (missing the mark in one band while reaching it previously in a different test report form). Thus, I answered your question accurately when I said that officially, you did not meet the minimum entry requirements as set by Oxford.

However, if Oxford is willing to bend the rules to accommodate you, that is a different issue and you may ask them for an exemption. If I were you, I would just resit the IELTS exam until I meet the minimum requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending