The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Chemistry Unit 01 - 26th of May, 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by mr.holmes
for the unpaired electrons, what choice was the carbon?
and for the Aluminium iodide, is int the charge of the Aluminium is more than the sodium ion? or was it something else?
i did not add the ionisation energies so will i lose all the marks?
and foe Hess, do you multiply the energy values by anything? i do not remember. how much did you get it by the way?

I can't remember the unpaired electron question and for the question about covalent character the answer is aluminum iodide since aluminum is smallest and has greatest charge and iodine is the largest.I think you might get at least 1 mark for the born haber cycle.
Reply 161
Original post by mr.holmes
for the unpaired electrons, what choice was the carbon?
and for the Aluminium iodide, is int the charge of the Aluminium is more than the sodium ion? or was it something else?
i did not add the ionisation energies so will i lose all the marks?
and foe Hess, do you multiply the energy values by anything? i do not remember. how much did you get it by the way?

Either the 2nd or 3rd,yeah its AlI3 as aluminium has a greater charge hence more polarization, probably no it will be ecf, and yes for the hess cycle you needed to do 2x as the Nahco3 was 2NaHCO3, i got either 103 or 31 Kj Mol for that one i dont eemember
Reply 162
Guys what did you write for the question asking why the compound is less endothermic ?
Original post by Luj99
Guys what did you write for the question asking why the compound is less endothermic ?

what did they ask exactly i forgot?
guys for the multiple choice on making crystals, i put filtration, heating to concentrate, and then distillation or sumthing
Original post by Shamin06
guys for the multiple choice on making crystals, i put filtration, heating to concentrate, and then distillation or sumthing

i put the other type which included filtration since i have never seen distillation as a step to obtain crystals, distillation is done usually to separate liquids.
It would be great if someone wrote out all the questions they remember, and from that make an unofficial mark scheme
Reply 167
Original post by Matt_levar
It would be great if someone wrote out all the questions they remember, and from that make an unofficial mark scheme

From the Peak at m/e 28 in question 15 about Mass spectroscopy, was the specie silicon?

The very first question about ppm, was the answer 2.7? Which was C btw.

There was a question about which organic compound has a different molecular formula to its empirical formula. Was the answer B which was a cyclic ethene?

What was the answer to the value of the lattice energy?
Original post by Ddde
From the Peak at m/e 28 in question 15 about Mass spectroscopy, was the specie silicon?

There was a question about which organic compound has a different molecular formula to its empirical formula. Was the answer B which was a cyclic ethene?

The species was Fe2+
Yeah it was 2.7
No the answer was A which was a cyclic pentane (C5H10)
The lattice energy I got was 2000 something, don't remember.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ddde

I put in Si + as the species, and yes the ppm was 2.7.
The answer to the organic compound question was A unfortunately.
Can't remember my lattice value exactly, but it was something along the lines of -2000kJ.
Why was it difficult to measure the Enthalpy change? I put in "you cannot control decomposition reaction"
Reply 171
How many of you think that the grade boundaries will go down?
Original post by CaptainJackFail
Why was it difficult to measure the Enthalpy change? I put in "you cannot control decomposition reaction"

That is in a certain way correct. The answer should be something along the lines of the difficulty of measuring enthalpy change while heating, due to heat loss and other factors.

About the grade boundaries, it might go down a bit since they've changed the structure of the paper a bit but I don't think it'll go below 60. It was a pretty easy paper after all.
Original post by Droneon
The species was Fe2+
Yeah it was 2.7
No the answer was A which was a cyclic pentane (C5H10)
The lattice energy I got was 2000 something, don't remember.

If I remember correctly, C5H10 was option B, a cyclic pentene. It was an alkene(CnH2n). The empirical formulae for it was CH2.
Original post by Profane
If I remember correctly, C5H10 was option B, a cyclic pentene. It was an alkene(CnH2n). The empirical formulae for it was CH2.

No, if you draw a cyclic pentane molecule, you can count 10 hydrogen atoms. Cyclic pentene has 8 hydrogen atoms (C5H8). Cycloalkanes have the alkene general formula (CnH2n) while cycloalkenes gave the formula CnH2n-2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 175
For the propagation question i used methane instead of ethane do i get any marks?
Original post by Mahdi4
For the propagation question i used methane instead of ethane do i get any marks?

Maybe they will penalise it once only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey you guys!
How are you revising for Chemistry Unit 2? Any tips?
Original post by Reshyna
Hmmm, if the paper was easy for most of the candidates, the grade boundaries would probably go up
And the grade boundaries are chosen after the examiners finish marking all of the candidates' papers
Unfortunately, I changed my decision, so I'm doing exams in October, coz I needed more time for exam preparation as I'm self-teaching

then I guess they will go up bc it was easy for almost everyone in my class.
I'm considering to self-teach next year, I just want to ask you, what websites do you use? do you do any online classes?
thanks!
Original post by Reshyna
How many of you think that the grade boundaries will go down?

nooo never!! the paper was simple so it is impossible for the grade boundaries to go down

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending