The Student Room Group

Aqa gcse 2017 English literature paper 2 official thread

Hey guys👋 So with paper 1 out the way, we should probably start thinking about paper 2! I'm doing Lord of the Flies and the power and conflict poetry- any predictions? I think one of the easier war poems will come up (not poppies, war photographer or kamikaze) and lord of the flies will hopefully be a key character (jack, Ralph or piggy) or a key symbol (conch, fire, beast) or savagery. What do you guys think? Good luck everyone🤞

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elliebrown1203
Hey guys👋 So with paper 1 out the way, we should probably start thinking about paper 2! I'm doing Lord of the Flies and the power and conflict poetry- any predictions? I think one of the easier war poems will come up (not poppies, war photographer or kamikaze) and lord of the flies will hopefully be a key character (jack, Ralph or piggy) or a key symbol (conch, fire, beast) or savagery. What do you guys think? Good luck everyone🤞

Hey! I'm doing Lord of the Flies and Love and Relationships.

My teacher and I think that given the easiness of Paper 1, we're going to be given a character and a theme, so Jack/Simon and the theme of "the darkness of man's heart (basically write about the beast)

For your cluster my school are thinking London or Tissue (God forbid!) but for my cluster, I'm assuming it'll be Love gone bad so Neutral Tones, Winter Swans or Porphyria's Lover
Reply 2
I wrote quotes from remains but said it was exposure...how many marks will I lose?
Quotes are references to text.(A02 I think)I believe A02 is 12 marks. Assuming u did the other bits of A02 well Id say ull lose 6 marks if the examiner notices.But dont get down focus on other exams
Hey Guys, I'm a A-Level English student and i just wanted to give you some tips.

Answer the question asked not the one you would have liked to be asked.

Avoid being irrelevant.

Be sure that you show explicitly how your ideas relate to the question

Do not adopt the first possible approach.

Try to range widely but keep to the terms of the question.

Be willing to dispute the terms of the question if you are given the opportunity (for example, in questions that ask ‘how far…', ‘to what extent' or ‘do you think'?).

I feel like I've completed failed it I wrote about 'War photographer ' and compared the effects of people involved in the war itself and different perspectives such as the readers away from the conflict. I felt so confident in the exam now I'm reading what everyone put and I feel like a failure ☹️. Did anyone else write about War photographer ?????
Original post by Itsmeelliec
I feel like I've completed failed it I wrote about 'War photographer ' and compared the effects of people involved in the war itself and different perspectives such as the readers away from the conflict. I felt so confident in the exam now I'm reading what everyone put and I feel like a failure ☹️. Did anyone else write about War photographer ?????

I wrote about War Photographer too so don't worry, as long as it was relevant what you put and did links to the questions they cannot say it's wrong because realistically all the poems can be compared, it's just some can be used with more quotes than others!
Reply 7
I compared my poem to The Charge of the Light Brigade. Did anyone else?
Original post by Mb.xo

I did, and wrote twice as much for Tennyson's poem then Hughes's!
Reply 9
I didn't write the paper reference on my answer sheet, will my work even get marked?
Reply 10
Original post by Memeasaurus
I did, and wrote twice as much for Tennyson's poem then Hughes's!

Same thing! I wrote about the dactylic dimeter since i revised about it the night before!
Original post by Ruzwan
Same thing! I wrote about the dactylic dimeter since i revised about it the night before!

I had no clue about Bayonet Charge

Did you say how it mocks how "someone had blundered"?
Original post by billbil
I wrote quotes from remains but said it was exposure...how many marks will I lose?

they do not subtract marks - they will just not add marks for the quote. Also, they mark the skills when errors like that are made
Original post by billbil

I don't know if you would lose any, to be honest. Using quotations isn't actually a requirement - we're looking for references (which can be quotes, but might be paraphrases or details explained in your own way). We accept that you are less likely to use quotes from a poem that you don't have in front of you.

It's more likely that your mark will depend on how many poems you wrote about in total. Did you write about the named poem AND Remains AND Exposure? Or did you write about the name poem plus one other (even though you mistakenly used the wrong title)? If you wrote about two poems, I think you'd be given full credit, even with the wrong poem name. If you'd written about 3 poems, the examiner will simply ignore any points made about a third poem and just rewards references to the name poem and one other. Either way, you should be credited properly for AO2 without much problem.
Original post by Itsmeelliec

Rest assured that this is a perfectly valid comparison. Well done!

- From an English teacher and ex-examiner
I did exposure- did anyone else? I wrote first about the contrasting structures (ABBAC rhyme scheme vs no rhyme), then about the protrayal or PTSD, ending with the concept that war dehumanises soldiers. Is this good enough?! I was confident but now it seems no one did the same poems as me; most people seemed to pick Remains or War Photographer.
Original post by Frankie8
I did exposure- did anyone else? I wrote first about the contrasting structures (ABBAC rhyme scheme vs no rhyme), then about the protrayal or PTSD, ending with the concept that war dehumanises soldiers. Is this good enough?! I was confident but now it seems no one did the same poems as me; most people seemed to pick Remains or War Photographer.

i picked charge of the light brigade
Reply 17
Original post by Eva_Smith
I don't know if you would lose any, to be honest. Using quotations isn't actually a requirement - we're looking for references (which can be quotes, but might be paraphrases or details explained in your own way). We accept that you are less likely to use quotes from a poem that you don't have in front of you.

It's more likely that your mark will depend on how many poems you wrote about in total. Did you write about the named poem AND Remains AND Exposure? Or did you write about the name poem plus one other (even though you mistakenly used the wrong title)? If you wrote about two poems, I think you'd be given full credit, even with the wrong poem name. If you'd written about 3 poems, the examiner will simply ignore any points made about a third poem and just rewards references to the name poem and one other. Either way, you should be credited properly for AO2 without much problem.

So i wrote about three quotes and i said that all of them were from exposure but only one was actually from exposure, the other two from remains
Original post by Mb.xo

yhhhhhhhhh
Original post by mimi999
I didn't write the paper reference on my answer sheet, will my work even get marked?

Do not worry, the examiner(s) will work out what question you've asked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending