The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Chemistry Unit 01 - 26th of May, 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luj99
They didn't specify it , they just said write down the first 2 processes so I wrote ionization and acceleration. How about the last question about polymer what did you do ?

they actually asked that after they r converted to ions write the three other processes . I wrote acceleration, deflection, detection
Original post by shahida sulaiman
they actually asked that after they r converted to ions write the three other processes . I wrote acceleration, deflection, detection

i wrote the same..
Original post by zooshan
i wrote the same..

do u know what u wrote for the peak question which was on 28? People here r saying its Fe2+ I dont understand how , I wrote silicon
do u know what u wrote for the peak question which was on 28? People here r saying its Fe2+ I dont understand how , I wrote silicon

isnt it sillicon.. :/
Reply 184
Original post by Droneon
Maybe they will penalise it once only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So will i lose 1 mark only?
Reply 185
Original post by Matt_levar
I put in Si + as the species, and yes the ppm was 2.7.
The answer to the organic compound question was A unfortunately.
Can't remember my lattice value exactly, but it was something along the lines of -2000kJ.

Nice! Do you think I'll get a mark for putting Silicon rather than the ion?
And what was the answer to the question about the reason why the enthalpy change was difficulT to measure, I put the atoms aren't in gaseous state.
Reply 186
Original post by zooshan

Same. I wrote silicon
the reason it is Fe2 is because it said it was part of substance X which means its definitely iron and so after that you have to think what m/e value gives you 28 m=the molecular mass and e=the charge of the ion and so 56 divided by 2 give you 28
Original post by sasoki9
the reason it is Fe2 is because it said it was part of substance X which means its definitely iron and so after that you have to think what m/e value gives you 28 m=the molecular mass and e=the charge of the ion and so 56 divided by 2 give you 28

yeah but cant silicon be a part of substance X ?? They didnt say anything about it being an isotope of it or relating the substance in anyway to only iron :/ .I think its silicon cuz they said the peak is at 28 and in a graph of mass spectrometer the peak of a certain substance shows the atomic mass of that substance so I still dont get it why 28 will be Fe 2+
Original post by zooshan

Idk they say its wrong :frown:
Does any one here use kik?
Original post by Hola1234
Does any one here use kik?

kik?
yeah but cant silicon be a part of substance X ?? They didnt say anything about it being an isotope of it or relating the substance in anyway to only iron :/ .I think its silicon cuz they said the peak is at 28 and in a graph of mass spectrometer the peak of a certain substance shows the atomic mass of that substance so I still dont get it why 28 will be Fe 2+

No the whole sample contained only the isotopes of iron, cuz that's how we could calculate the RAM at the beginning of the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luj99
And how is the solid ionized guys ? I wrote the solid is converted to a gas and the gaseous sample is bombarded with high energy electrons thus producing a unipositively charged ion. And for part 2 , I wrote 1st=ionization 2nd=acceleration 3rd=deflection. In ionization gaseous sample is bombarded with high energy electrons . In acceleration the the ions are accelerated by electric field

Don't you use a velocity selector to control velocity of the ions before they are accelerated through a magnetic field?
Original post by Luj99
I didn't balance it but I wrote the equation correctly and I did show the continuation

I write the equation well, but how do you write the continuation of polymer?
What do you think would be the grade boundary for this paper?

okay, let me elaborate more, you see the peaks given in a mass spectrometer the ones on the x-axis are the m/e mass over the charge of the ion and the y-axis is its abdundance. sometimes when the atom is bombarded the electrons remove more than one electron so in this case it removed two from the iron atom so the charge or e became +2 so the x-axis value is 28 and since m/e gives 28 so 28 multiplied by 2 gives you the isotope of iron which was 56. Also, the sample injected was only iron it wasnt a compound so it cant contain other elements like silicon.
Reply 197
Original post by raai ahamed
nooo never!! the paper was simple so it is impossible for the grade boundaries to go down

If the paper was easy for most of the candidates, then I'm pretty sure that the grade boundaries will go up
I wish I could have done exams this time
Original post by Reshyna
If the paper was easy for most of the candidates, then I'm pretty sure that the grade boundaries will go up
I wish I could have done exams this time

really it was better to do this tym!!!
Reply 199
Original post by raai ahamed
really it was better to do this tym!!!

hmmm
let's see, whether it will be good for october

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending