The Student Room Group

Another nail in the coffin of free speech.

Katie Hopkins has been sacked from LBC.

LBC likes to think of itself as freer and more tolerant of all political views than the BBC, which is why it's very sad that she is being sacked for a trivial possible 'thought crime'.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/may/26/katie-hopkins-leaves-lbc-radio-final-solution-tweet-manchester-attack

The words 'final solution' do not have the exclusive meaning of a Holocaust reference, and nobody knows if Hopkins intended that. The fact that she deleted it herself suggests it wasnt intended.

So a thought crime yes?
She loses her job without any evidence proving she is guilty.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mair18919

LBC likes to think of itself as freer and more tolerant of all political views than the BBC, which is why it's very sad that she is being sacked for a trivial possible 'thought crime'.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/may/26/katie-hopkins-leaves-lbc-radio-final-solution-tweet-manchester-attack

The words 'final solution' do not have the exclusive meaning of a Holocaust reference, and nobody knows if Hopkins intended that. The fact that she deleted it herself suggests it wasnt intended.

So a thought crime yes?

No, she loses her job because she's a scumbag.
Complete and utter hypocrisy, free speech only seems to exist when it's from a liberal perspective. Completely agree, a sad day for free speech, regardless if you agree with her views or not.
Free speech doesn't mean you can say what you like with no consequences. You can say what you like, but everyone else has the right to ignore you, argue with you, boycott you, sack you etc.
LBC is right to sack KH for her comments, which were beyond the pail even for her.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check

I agree with you but I think in reality for LBC as a business...

1. They could not cope with the pressure from unhappy listeners but more importantly a potential loss in revenue - advertisers had applied pressure and at the end of the day LBC needs to make money.

2. Hopkins had brought in listeners despite her controversial babble in the past but LBC backed her as it increased their revenue. Most recently she had gone too far and LBC had no choice but to get rid immediately.

On Twitter she is 'bigging herself up' still which is no shock - she is, impo, a vile self-publicist and really is not bothered by either how many people she upsets or how many times she gets herself into trouble.

I am incredibly pleased she has been sacked and I really hope the Mail does the same and her so called 'career' takes a spectacular nose-dive.

PS: I'm not on my soapbox here without backing it up - I have messaged both LBC and Hopkins today expressing my positive thoughts :smile:
Reply 5

Appalling language from someone on the support team to describe a broadcaster who has committed NO CRIMINAL OFFENCE, whose only 'offence' is to hold views you disagree with.

Salman Abedi is a "scumbag" not Katie Hopkins.
Reply 6
Original post by Drez999
I agree with you but I think in reality for LBC as a business...

1. They could not cope with the pressure from unhappy listeners but more importantly a potential loss in revenue - advertisers had applied pressure and at the end of the day LBC needs to make money.

2. Hopkins had brought in listeners despite her controversial babble in the past but LBC backed her as it increased their revenue. Most recently she had gone too far and LBC had no choice but to get rid immediately.

On Twitter she is 'bigging herself up' still which is no shock - she is, impo, a vile self-publicist and really is not bothered by either how many people she upsets or how many times she gets herself into trouble.

I am incredibly pleased she has been sacked and I really hope the Mail does the same and her so called 'career' takes a spectacular nose-dive.

PS: I'm not on my soapbox here without backing it up - I have messaged both LBC and Hopkins today expressing my positive thoughts :smile:

James OBrien offends people almost daily but LBC seem to cope with that just fine.

May I ask if you have evidence that it is pressure from advertisers led to her sacking?
Or is that simply guesswork?
How absolutely disgraceful that a self acclaimed organ of free speech should bow to such political meddling by corporate interests.:eek:

That would certainly confirm the title of the thread.
Reply 7
James OBrien offends people almost daily but LBC seem to cope with that just fine.

May I ask if you have evidence that it is pressure from advertisers led to her sacking?
Or is that simply guesswork?
How absolutely disgraceful that a self acclaimed organ of free speech should bow to such political meddling by corporate interests.:eek:

That would certainly confirm the title of the thread.

LBC (in all the years it has been on-air) has always advocated free speech but it is a business not a charity.

I will answer your question by telling you I know a few people who work/have worked there. That's all I can say.

LBC is better for getting rid of Hopkins - rest assured of that :wink:
Reply 8

So a thought crime yes?

Self entitled people don't like top be told to take a hike.
Reply 9
Original post by Drez999
LBC (in all the years it has been on-air) has always advocated free speech but it is a business not a charity.

I will answer your question by telling you I know a few people who work/have worked there. That's all I can say.

Ok, so we just have to take you on trust then.

Do you agree that advertisers (corporate interests) dictating who and what political views we are allowed to hear aired is a shocking state of affairs i a so called free society?

LBC is better for getting rid of Hopkins - rest assured of that :wink:

Nah ! It is certainly not. Katie was a charming polite and tolerant presenter who provided a stark contrast with her political polar opposite the ranting, offensive, bullying, bigot James O'Brian. :rant:

Now that is one they would do well to sack!
Reply 10
Ok, so we just have to take you on trust then.

Do you agree that advertisers (corporate interests) dictating who and what political views we are allowed to hear aired is a shocking state of affairs i a so called free society?

Nah ! It is certainly not. Katie was a charming polite and tolerant presenter who provided a stark contrast with her political polar opposite the ranting, offensive, bullying, bigot James O'Brian. :rant:

Now that is one they would do well to sack!

Get a grip treacle...
Reply 11
Oh c'mon on, of course she intended that! Katie is hardly dumb, she knows exactly what she was trying to say.
Anyone who defends her is supporting what the Nazis did.
'Typo' my ass.
Reply 12

So a thought crime yes?

It doesn't matter. Her silly twitter rants is damaging LBC's reputation and they no longer see her as fit for service. If they were offended by her tweets or they're some leftists, she wouldnt have been hired in the first place.

This is actually a day of celebration for free speech, whereby you are free to say anything you like and you suffer the consequences of that too.
Reply 13
Original post by izpenguin
Free speech doesn't mean you can say what you like with no consequences. You can say what you like, but everyone else has the right to ignore you, argue with you, boycott you, sack you etc.
LBC is right to sack KH for her comments, which were beyond the pail even for her.

Exactly.

She also wasn't sacked only for this comment, but for all the times she's deliberately targeted people and incited racial and religious hatred, all to get attention. LBC is absolutely right not to give the time of day to a woman who thrives off making other people miserable.
I thought she had made herself pretty toxic by the use of the phrase, she must have surely known. LBC I believe are interested in making money and it wasnt a good risk anymore. never mind OP am sure she will find some other radio station to join and then you can tune in or she can do a subscription podcast. Unlikely she will have left your life forever. Dry your tears.
Appalling language from someone on the support team to describe a broadcaster who has committed NO CRIMINAL OFFENCE, whose only 'offence' is to hold views you disagree with.

Salman Abedi is a "scumbag" not Katie Hopkins.

Her "views" are purposely hurtful and controversial to garner attention. She knows they keep her in the limelight so she makes appalling comments all the time, same as other individuals such as Piers Morgan. She is a scumbag, free speech is one thing, making controversial, hurtful claims disguised as "opinions" are another, I have yet to witness an example of her producing anything constructive.
Reply 16

So a thought crime yes?

There's no free speech considerations against a private organisation. End of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

!

Isnt that the point of commercial radio and it being a business?

Maybe she has a YouTube channel you can tune into?

I'm reporting your comment, disgraceful from a TSR support team member
Original post by Elastichedgehog
Her "views" are purposely hurtful and controversial to garner attention. She knows they keep her in the limelight so she makes appalling comments all the time, same as other individuals such as Piers Morgan. She is a scumbag, free speech is one thing, making controversial, hurtful claims disguised as "opinions" are another, I have yet to witness an example of her producing anything constructive.

No they are not, I disagree with some of the things she says, but her right to say it shouldn't be infringed, what you guys still don't understand is that what you call " Hurtful and controversial" is seen as the utter truth by a large proportion of the population, you're not the moral standard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending