The Student Room Group

A-levels for both an Economics and Engineering Course?

Hi I was wondering if by taking Maths Physics Chemistry (Russian AS), would this allow me to take an Economics Course with these A levels at a Top university?
Would they look down on the fact that I am not taking Further Maths and economics?

I cannot decide yet which course I want to take so I'm trying to see what would be the best combination to keep both options open for a top uni.
Thanks for any replies.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Student2204
Hi I was wondering if by taking Maths Physics Chemistry (Russian AS), would this allow me to take an Economics Course with these A levels at a Top university?
Would they look down on the fact that I am not taking Further Maths and economics?

I cannot decide yet which course I want to take so I'm trying to see what would be the best combination to keep both options open for a top uni.
Thanks for any replies.

Different unis will have different entry requirements and some will have subject specific requirements so you may want to check with the unis themselves. The UCAS search tool will let you have a quick look.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Different unis will have different entry requirements and some will have subject specific requirements so you may want to check with the unis themselves. The UCAS search tool will let you have a quick look.

Thanks I'll try it out.
Idk I would go with Maths, Further Maths, Physics/Chemistry and Economics?
Reply 4
Original post by surina16
Idk I would go with Maths, Further Maths, Physics/Chemistry and Economics?

I know I want to definitely do Maths Russian and Chemistry/Physics,

I guess on top I just have to decide on Economics or Further Maths.

Probably further maths will be more useful.

Was in same boat as you chone economics in the end when it came to applying and dropped a science
If it's definitely general or mechanical engineering or structural then maths further maths physics economics and ripped economics
If it's chemical or something like biochemeng u need chem so I wud say maths physics chem econ
Best combo imo is first one as you drop the science and you look convincinglylike a perfect econ applicant and for those engineerings it's only maths and physics which is key the further maths gives you the edge for both degrees ,I done that combo got into warwick ucl and soon many have further maths now for econ so it's good

Ok then, I would agree with you that FM would probably be more useful. If you're looking at the top unis, they list FM as preferable for both Engineering and Economics, whereas Economics A Level isn't actually essential for you to do the course at uni (although understandably, I imagine that it would be pretty useful).
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice people. I'll probably take further maths. Shame I wanted to take Russian instead
Reply 8
Actually, In the event that they cannot accomodate me to change to further maths, would it still be fine for top unis if I did,
Maths
Chemistry
Physics or econ
Russian . ?
Actually, In the event that they cannot accomodate me to change to further maths, would it still be fine for top unis if I did,
Maths
Chemistry
Physics or econ
Russian . ?

If you decider now you will be able to plenty of time
Howcomes you want to do Russian? I'd say if you are or can speak Russian you just need to say it and don't need a qualification to show it as showing your fluent in it doesn't require an A level but if you are you could easily do it at home

I say this because maths chem economics Russian won't get you on many top unis engineering courses besides biochemeng and chem eng where the latter still would desire physics

What are the 'top unis' you wanna go to like imperial Oxbridge level bath bristol etc

Also for econ at unjs like lse Oxbridge warwick they'll want a very good explanation on why you didn't do it as they'll know if your school offered it so the combo of maths chem physics Russian would be perfect for engineering but detrimental for economics
For economics all you need is maths economics and whatever the combo is fine
Original post by Youngkeynes
If you decider now you will be able to plenty of time
Howcomes you want to do Russian? I'd say if you are or can speak Russian you just need to say it and don't need a qualification to show it as showing your fluent in it doesn't require an A level but if you are you could easily do it at home

I say this because maths chem economics Russian won't get you on many top unis engineering courses besides biochemeng and chem eng where the latter still would desire physics

What are the 'top unis' you wanna go to like imperial Oxbridge level bath bristol etc

Also for econ at unjs like lse Oxbridge warwick they'll want a very good explanation on why you didn't do it as they'll know if your school offered it so the combo of maths chem physics Russian would be perfect for engineering but detrimental for economics
For economics all you need is maths economics and whatever the combo is fine

I thought Russian would help me stand out. I'm not fluent. I was given the option to study it in year 8.

In that case I guess maths physics chemistry and economics would be the best but feels weird without including something different.

Thanks for the advice.
Reply 11
I thought Russian would help me stand out. I'm not fluent. I was given the option to study it in year 8.

In that case I guess maths physics chemistry and economics would be the best but feels weird without including something different.

Thanks for the advice.

3 not 4. Quality not quantity.

Chemistry is not (usually) needed for engineering and never needed for economics.

Maths is needed for both.

Physics is (usually) needed for engineering.

Economics is helpful for economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Thanks for the advice.

If you're very good at it but I mean veryyy good then okay but languages at a level are soo difficult but you can probably manage it
In terms of applying for economics or engineering having ecomomicsor having 2 sciences respectively will help you much more than sacrificing one for Russian
However if you was fully determined to do economics then doing maths economics a science and Russian would probably be better same as if you 100% was going for engineering maths 2 sciences and Russia would be although for engineering you wouldn't stand out as much as a language isn't really relevant at all those with maths further maths chem physics wud stand out more

Economics a language wouldn't stand out when applying as much as further maths in terms of gaining an actual a level qualification however when you finish your degree say you wanna go into finance like 90% of the grads you could then learn Russian as it will help you apply for job palaces where they need to do deals with halide foreign firms say however they won't require an A level to prove you can speak it you can just learn it and out it on your cv

What 'top unis ' you thinking about
Thinking of the Russel group unis.
And sorry I always do this but when I list 4 subjects I mean I will drop one for as.

By the way I think I would prefer an economcis course.
Would maths economics and chemistry be best for That? Baring in mind I probably cannot take further maths because it's full
Reply 14
Thinking of the Russel group unis.
And sorry I always do this but when I list 4 subjects I mean I will drop one for as.

By the way I think I would prefer an economcis course.
Would maths economics and chemistry be best for That? Baring in mind I probably cannot take further maths because it's full

Yes.

But Physics would still leave the Engineering option available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

Thanks for any replies.

Top unis for Economics such as Cambridge and LSE will prefer you if you have further maths, I recommend taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics if you are certain on Economics as your degree choice. However if you do Chemistry instead of Economics I do not believe you will be at a disadvantage, but A level Economics will be helpful to keep up your interest in Economics, and aid you in personal statement and potential Interviews.
(I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics, since I was deciding between an Economics or Maths degree)
Original post by varshax
Top unis for Economics such as Cambridge and LSE will prefer you if you have further maths, I recommend taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics if you are certain on Economics as your degree choice. However if you do Chemistry instead of Economics I do not believe you will be at a disadvant
age, but A level Economics will be helpful to keep up your interest in Economics, and aid you in personal statement and potential Interviews.
(I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics, since I was deciding between an Economics or Maths degree)

I think I already said this but Im asking under the assumption that I won't be able to take further maths because of overbooking for it.
I may have signed up too late.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
I think I already said this but Im asking under the assumption that I won't be able to take further maths because of overbooking for it.
I may have signed up too late.

Sorry, I should have read the whole thread.
However I don't think you should compromise on the subject you want to take so do press them. In my school many people changed courses in the first week of year 12 so they may be some leeway but I appreciate that your situation may not work the same. If you can't take it then do not worry, Maths is enough to be able to apply to really good Russel group unis.
How much do you want or not want to do Economics as an A level?
Original post by varshax
Sorry, I should have read the whole thread.
However I don't think you should compromise on the subject you want to take so do press them. In my school many people changed courses in the first week of year 12 so they may be some leeway but I appreciate that your situation may not work the same. If you can't take it then do not worry, Maths is enough to be able to apply to really good Russel group unis.
How much do you want or not want to do Economics as an A level?

Hey it's fine and thanks for the honest advice.

Yeah I've spoken to them and they said I have been put on the waiting list and that there's a chance I could get in.

In the case I don't get it I want to make sure I can still do economics in a Russel group uni.

So yeah I'm thinking of definitely taking Maths and Economics at a level and probably a science on that in place of FM?
Would that be OK and which science would be preferred?
Reply 19
Hey it's fine and thanks for the honest advice.

Yeah I've spoken to them and they said I have been put on the waiting list and that there's a chance I could get in.

In the case I don't get it I want to make sure I can still do economics in a Russel group uni.

So yeah I'm thinking of definitely taking Maths and Economics at a level and probably a science on that in place of FM?
Would that be OK and which science would be preferred?

Yeah that is absolutely okay, good in fact. Honestly take whatever science you like the most as you will get a better grade in it, science at A level takes a lot of motivation so you have to find it interesting. Physics and chemistry are both demanding and physics is useful if you are doing mechanics modules in maths but I don't know how the new A level Maths works. Also reading the title if you want to be open to engineering then definitely physics is preferred.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest