The Student Room Group

Is transsexuality a mental disorder?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chaseyyy
Lmao gonna start this argument again but it is a mental disorder and classified in the DSM V as gender dysphoria also known as gender identity disorder, but the only way for it to be treated can't be through therapy and medication

The DSM and ICD both list it is a disorder, so it's a fairly easy answer - yes it is a disorder.

So not sure why it needs a counter-argument?

The poll results show it is a majority win for 'Yes it is a disorder' so I guess those who answered 'No' are just fooling themselves.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think it must be a mental disorder. Say you're a woman and you think you should've been a man or you feel you are a man. Something is wrong, either your brain or your body...if you've got a fully fledged female body, how can anyone possibly come to the conclusion that you were born in the 'wrong body' as they always say as opposed to simply having something wrong with your brain, which we know is fairly common with other mental disorders? From a pure science point of view, I just can't get my head around the nonsensical idea that someone's body is incorrect. If someone said they really thought they should've been born as a cat, we wouldn't say ok we'll medically alter your body so that you're a cat. Or as someone said, if you thought you should only have been born with one arm we wouldn't amputate a healthy arm.

I don't have a problem with people changing if that's what they want to do as ultimately it's not really any of my business regardless of the fact that I don't get it, but I don't think it should be a service available on the NHS, if you have a perfectly healthy body and you decide you want to change your gender public services shouldn't be footing the bill for it.
Original post by Det.Hartigan
The DSM and ICD both list it is a disorder, so it's a fairly easy answer - yes it is a disorder.

So not sure why it needs a counter-argument?

The poll results show it is a majority win for 'Yes it is a disorder' so I guess those who answered 'No' are just fooling themselves.

Yeah but ***** like the one above and 'paul' disagree that they deserve any form of treatment and tbh the only treatment is hormone therapy and SRS which they think is absolute '********' but its the only way to alleviate the symptoms or cure the dysphoria
Original post by infairverona
if you have a perfectly healthy body and you decide you want to change your gender public services shouldn't be footing the bill for it.

So true, we should not be paying for this ****. If the person wants it, pay for it themselves out of their own pocket.

Original post by Chaseyyy
its the only way to alleviate the symptoms or cure the dysphoria

It's not the only form of treatment, they should also be offered counselling to find out what the issues are behind this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending