The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham College Allocation Thread - 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Interesting effects of the allocation system. The hill colleges are well placed for sciences students. So presumably more sciences apply to Hill colleges. But Durham wants an even spread by subject so it sends science people to the colleges at the bottom. Forcing them to do the mile uphill 2-3 times a day. At the same time arts students are forced to do the same walk in reverse - fair for the university but unfair for the individual.

Even more peculiar is how Hatfield ends up with 42% state school occupancy and Grey College has 69%. Apartheid?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I got allocated to Trevs. I was just wondering if you can go to other colleges formals or can you only go your colleges ones? Also what is trevs like for social life?
Original post by kikikeen
I'm an international student who has been allocated to Hatfield College for Psychology. Only just realised it's the 'most hated' college at Durham haha... should this affect my decision to come to Durham?

No!! lmao I'm an international student that got allocated to Hatfield too. It's a great college with tons of spirit- the hate is for fun.
I got allocated Van Mildert to study Modern languages, anyone else similar? Or does anyone know anything about it as a college? Thanks! x
Original post by Pars12
Interesting effects of the allocation system. The hill colleges are well placed for sciences students. So presumably more sciences apply to Hill colleges. But Durham wants an even spread by subject so it sends science people to the colleges at the bottom. Forcing them to do the mile uphill 2-3 times a day. At the same time arts students are forced to do the same walk in reverse - fair for the university but unfair for the individual.

Even more peculiar is how Hatfield ends up with 42% state school occupancy and Grey College has 69%. Apartheid?

Apartheid? Are you daft
Reply 345
Original post by jct1993
Apartheid? Are you daft

Apartheid was an elitism based on race. I dislike all forms of elitism. How about you?
Original post by Pars12
Apartheid was an elitism based on race. I dislike all forms of elitism. How about you?

Interestingly enough people were persecuted, tortured, and killed under apartheid. If I'm not mistaken, that has yet to happen at Durham. False equivalence perhaps?
Love how we're beefing before we've even started uni
Me, a South African, just sitting here with popcorn.
Reply 349
Original post by quinnthequail
Interestingly enough people were persecuted, tortured, and killed under apartheid. If I'm not mistaken, that has yet to happen at Durham. False equivalence perhaps?

All forms big or small, but I take your point. I was at the Barclays picket, I doubt if I will be picketing the Castle.
Original post by marechanics
I got allocated Van Mildert to study Modern languages, anyone else similar? Or does anyone know anything about it as a college? Thanks! x

I've been allocated Van Mildert for Modern Languages, too. 😊 I did an overnight stay there a couple of months back and it was really nice, it's one of the larger colleges and their accommodation is fully catered. They have a great bar, too. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 351
The university mistake my application and thought i wasn't going this year, but I am, so they didn't kept my accommodation offer and now i'm on a waiting list, i'm a postgraduate student. Do you think i will make it to college accommodation or should i be desperately looking for private accommodation?
:frown:
Original post by Feña
The university mistake my application and thought i wasn't going this year, but I am, so they didn't kept my accommodation offer and now i'm on a waiting list, i'm a postgraduate student. Do you think i will make it to college accommodation or should i be desperately looking for private accommodation?
:frown:

Phone up the office, ask if you've been allocated to a college yet and ask whether college accommodation has all been taken. I would start looking at private or student-type accommodation at this point as well - luckily Durham is on the cheaper side.
Hey guys,

Thank you everyone ,this forum has been uterly helpful to me and many others.

There are few things I am still confused about, I wonder if you can help.

I just received an email saying I have been allocated a shared room in Plamers Garth ( Hatfield college) and that is about it. I don't have any vital informations like, residence agreement form, details about the room, prices etc. Should I expecting more, importantly, am I missing something here?

I hope you can help!
Original post by MaleVip
Hey guys,

Thank you everyone ,this forum has been uterly helpful to me and many others.

There are few things I am still confused about, I wonder if you can help.

I just received an email saying I have been allocated a shared room in Plamers Garth ( Hatfield college) and that is about it. I don't have any vital informations like, residence agreement form, details about the room, prices etc. Should I expecting more, importantly, am I missing something here?

I hope you can help!

Idk if it's like this at every college but you should have got an email asking you to formally accept your accommodation offer (and this should include the estimated price). Other than accepting the accommodation package, I don't believe they send any additional information about the room so if you have questions about what they provide you should email hatfield. :smile:
Got my Durham offer for Politics, I had no college preference so it stills says 'Z'. Just wanted to know if there was much chance, if any, of being allocated to a college on the Bailey? Baring in mind the Politics department is further away from the bailey colleges than the hill, so I was hoping I'd have a better chance as less Politics students may have applied to the bailey for this reason? Any help would be appreciated.
Original post by beltranvic101
Got my Durham offer for Politics, I had no college preference so it stills says 'Z'. Just wanted to know if there was much chance, if any, of being allocated to a college on the Bailey? Baring in mind the Politics department is further away from the bailey colleges than the hill, so I was hoping I'd have a better chance as less Politics students may have applied to the bailey for this reason? Any help would be appreciated.

To be honest if you had no college preference it's kind of unlikely as the Bailey colleges tend to be much more oversubscribed for any subject- I know plenty of people in Bailey Colleges doing politics and things even further away like psychology. There is a chance you might get allocated to a Bailey college though, but it's random allocation after people's choices have been taken into account.

Quick Reply

Latest