The Student Room Group

Thoughts on starting a personal statement with a quote?

I've seen a lot of people saying quotes at the beginning, or in any part, or a personal statement are a no-go. Personally, as long as it's relevant I don't see the problem. What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

no dont do it
Depends on the quote but generally its a bit cringe sometimes .
Don't do it, it's cliche and over-used. The universities want to see what you think, not what whoever you've quoted thinks
Reply 4
I used a quote that was relevant to what i was saying and to my course and i was told to take it out 😂 admissions officers don't like quotes.
Can sometimes look pretentious.
Don't
Better to start with your own words, it's quite common to use quotes best to do something different
I have seen many hundreds of statements and do not recall a single time that a quote improved one. It is very unlikely to directly cost you an offer obviously, but it is typically a very poor use of space.
Original post by SomethingQuarky
I've seen a lot of people saying quotes at the beginning, or in any part, or a personal statement are a no-go. Personally, as long as it's relevant I don't see the problem. What do you guys think?

Possibly appropriate when UCAS system of personal statements began - and it was seen as 'unique' and interesting.

Now it can seem ostentatious. I certainly didn't put a quote in mine.
Reply 10

I recommend not :tongue: you only get limited characters so may as well put in something showing your personal interest in the subject and relevant experience :h:

IMG_1472.JPG
It's a cliché or it's clichéed.
Reply 13
I did about 6 years ago and got all 5 offers. I used a quote (2 lines) from a mathematician and linked if to the beauty of maths and why i wanted to study it. This was also the tine when people told me not to do it for the same above reasons. So dont rule it out.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by loloway
I did about 6 years ago and got all 5 offers. I used a quote (2 lines) from a mathematician and linked if to the beauty of maths and why i wanted to study it. This was also the tine when people told me not to do it for the same above reasons. So dont rule it out.

For maths you could have copied a 40 line quote from scooby doo and still got offers from most universities. Maths admissions staff don't normally put any weighting on a personal statement. Other subjects do. Your personal experience doesn't mean you're qualified to advise future applicants.
Original post by chazwomaq
It's a cliché or it's clichéed.

Yeah I don't know how to put in the accent haha
Original post by PQ
For maths you could have copied a 40 line quote from scooby doo and still got offers from most universities. Maths admissions staff don't normally put any weighting on a personal statement. Other subjects do. Your personal experience doesn't mean you're qualified to advise future applicants.

Bit harsh, it's a forum where people contribute all they have to go on is their experiences - you can't shut someone down because they're sharing their view?
It's called personal statement for a reason. Using a quote is using someone else's words which is in no way personal to you. Just make up your own quote...
DONT DO IT!
a personal statement is exactly that - PERSONAL to you. yes a quote might sum up your views on something but they dont want to hear about the person who quoted it, they want to read about just you
I just think there's better ways of doing it. I can imagine an AT sort of rolling their eyes and groaning as soon as they see the quote marks: 'here we go again with another smart arse'. I'm sure there are ways of using a quote effectively in a PS - it's just that I can't recall seeing one!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending