The Student Room Group

A* in History

How to get an A* in the upcoming Edexcel history exams. Any tips...

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I'm doing AQA history but I'm my advice should still be relevant. I think at this point you should be doing as much past papers as possible and familiarising yourself with the layout of the exam. You should be confident of the structures of each of your answers and be able to do it in the time conditions. What I'm currently doing is making a huge timeline for my two topics (Nazi Germany & Medicine through time) and making sure I know the dates and where each event lays in conjunction to other events.
I hope this helped:smile:
Original post by dania.abdalla
Hi,
I'm doing AQA history but I'm my advice should still be relevant. I think at this point you should be doing as much past papers as possible and familiarising yourself with the layout of the exam. You should be confident of the structures of each of your answers and be able to do it in the time conditions. What I'm currently doing is making a huge timeline for my two topics (Nazi Germany & Medicine through time) and making sure I know the dates and where each event lays in conjunction to other events.
I hope this helped:smile:

Thank you :h: and I'm also doing medicine through time and I wanted to ask that when I send past papers to my history teacher, she always gives them grade D/C. I've done everything she tells me to do. E.g evidence, evaluate and a mini conclusion at the end of each paragrpah but I never get higher than a C. Do you know how to layout the stucture of paragraphs for an A/A*.
Original post by GCSE 9
Thank you :h: and I'm also doing medicine through time and I wanted to ask that when I send past papers to my history teacher, she always gives them grade D/C. I've done everything she tells me to do. E.g evidence, evaluate and a mini conclusion at the end of each paragrpah but I never get higher than a C. Do you know how to layout the stucture of paragraphs for an A/A*.

yee i do medicine through time and the same board:h: do you have the 3, 7 and the 15 marker for medicine in paper 2?:smile:
Original post by tasha_tah
yee i do medicine through time and the same board:h: do you have the 3, 7 and the 15 marker for medicine in paper 2?:smile:

no I don't have the 3, 7 and 15 marker? :smile: i have the 8, 12, 9 and 16 marker for edexcel?
Original post by GCSE 9
no I don't have the 3, 7 and 15 marker? :smile: i have the 8, 12, 9 and 16 marker for edexcel?

oh okay because thats we havee
do you cover germany as one of the topics too?
Original post by GCSE 9

I do medicine through time and the american west in history. My teacher has taught me that the questions that have many marks you have to think about the time, author and purpose of the source you will be answering. The context of the answer is also important and make sure you include all the subject terminology you have learned regarding that particular question and give evidence to support your answer.
I do AQA history and i hope this is useful. :smile:
Original post by waveycurls
I do medicine through time and the american west in history. My teacher has taught me that the questions that have many marks you have to think about the time, author and purpose of the source you will be answering. The context of the answer is also important and make sure you include all the subject terminology you have learned regarding that particular question and give evidence to support your answer.
I do AQA history and i hope this is useful. :smile:

Thanks, and for the evidence what does that really mean. Do you have to give evidence with numericals and dates or just state it. I don't get the evidence part?
Original post by tasha_tah
oh okay because thats we havee
do you cover germany as one of the topics too?

No I do medicine through time, the maerican west and surgery :h:
For the evidence, it is just things you know about that topic that can be used to back up your point and you just need to state it to show the examiner you have good knowledge about that particular topic.
Original post by waveycurls
For the evidence, it is just things you know about that topic that can be used to back up your point and you just need to state it to show the examiner you have good knowledge about that particular topic.

So would this be evidence:
Galen was a very important individual and this is strengthed by the fact that he had authority right up untill the Renaissance period.
Yes. That's right. Make sure you do this to get more marks. :smile:
Original post by GCSE 9

I'm doing medicine through time, surgery and American West. I've been able to maintain an A* so far (hopefully I'll do ok in the real exam). As it's the first exam for history, when you think about medicine through time, come up with a few factors that can be moulded into acceptable answers for all questions just in case your mind suddenly goes blank, e.g. The church, army/war, lack of medical knowledge etc.
Also, you should keep your answers structured, lay it out clearly, Point Evidence Explanation. Revise a few answer structures and ensure that you include bits of own knowledge in your explanations; add a date in or anything you can think of that is relevant to the question. In the exam, keep an eye on the time, my teacher said that you might not be able to write everything you want in the exam in the time given, so try to reduce 'waffle' and keep an eye on the clock.
Good luck :smile:
Original post by Retro_bean
I'm doing medicine through time, surgery and American West. I've been able to maintain an A* so far (hopefully I'll do ok in the real exam). As it's the first exam for history, when you think about medicine through time, come up with a few factors that can be moulded into acceptable answers for all questions just in case your mind suddenly goes blank, e.g. The church, army/war, lack of medical knowledge etc.
Also, you should keep your answers structured, lay it out clearly, Point Evidence Explanation. Revise a few answer structures and ensure that you include bits of own knowledge in your explanations; add a date in or anything you can think of that is relevant to the question. In the exam, keep an eye on the time, my teacher said that you might not be able to write everything you want in the exam in the time given, so try to reduce 'waffle' and keep an eye on the clock.
Good luck :smile:

Thank you so much and my history teacher said to compare in your exam for high grades, should you do this at the end of every paragraph. Or in the conclusion. Seeing as you get A* what do you recommend.
(edited 6 years ago)
I do Edexcel History and I got 96% in the mocks, so I can give you some advice. I do Medicine Through Time, Germany, and Surgery.

In terms of revision, I would say the most important thing now is practicing those essays, as you should probably know all the content by now. It's important to do practice papers in timed conditions, as there's a lot to write in the exam. You also need to make sure you know the content off by heart. I have all mine written on cue cards, and I get my family to test them on me. Make sure you remember specific detail, as that gets you extra marks, such as 'The Fabric of the Human Body was pubished in 1543'.
In the exams, for your 1st and 2nd exam, make sure you start on the 16 marker. Then do the paper backwards. In the source question, we got told to do the questions in the order: 1,2,5,4,3.

16 marker

In the 16 markers, start with a small introduction. You should state your viewpoint, and then a little explanation. We got told to say what we're talking about in the essay. Then you should try and write around 3-4 paragraphs, which should be a balance of both sides of the argument. All the way through link back to your opinion, so for example, 91 Jews died in Kristallnacht, which shows how the treatment became much more violent. You should also explore the other side of the argument as well, but always go back to your opinion. Finally, you need to write a small conclusion, which should be something like 'I maintain my opinion because...' and give a new piece of information.
12 markers.

Source Questions

In the sources, I use CROPS. C is content. R is reliability. O is origin. P is purpose, and R is reliability. In the source questions, you have to be explicit about your background knowledge, so use phrases like "From my own knowledge, I know that". It's also really important to consider the origin, as that affects the purpose, and therefore the reliability. A lot of people assume that secondary sources are not reliable, but that's not the case, as if it's from a textbook, then a lot of research would go into it, so the information is likely to be accurate.
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I do Edexcel History and I got 96% in the mocks, so I can give you some advice. I do Medicine Through Time, Germany, and Surgery.

In terms of revision, I would say the most important thing now is practicing those essays, as you should probably know all the content by now. It's important to do practice papers in timed conditions, as there's a lot to write in the exam. You also need to make sure you know the content off by heart. I have all mine written on cue cards, and I get my family to test them on me. Make sure you remember specific detail, as that gets you extra marks, such as 'The Fabric of the Human Body was pubished in 1543'.
In the exams, for your 1st and 2nd exam, make sure you start on the 16 marker. Then do the paper backwards. In the source question, we got told to do the questions in the order: 1,2,5,4,3.

16 marker

In the 16 markers, start with a small introduction. You should state your viewpoint, and then a little explanation. We got told to say what we're talking about in the essay. Then you should try and write around 3-4 paragraphs, which should be a balance of both sides of the argument. All the way through link back to your opinion, so for example, 91 Jews died in Kristallnacht, which shows how the treatment became much more violent. You should also explore the other side of the argument as well, but always go back to your opinion. Finally, you need to write a small conclusion, which should be something like 'I maintain my opinion because...' and give a new piece of information.
12 markers.

Source Questions

In the sources, I use CROPS. C is content. R is reliability. O is origin. P is purpose, and R is reliability. In the source questions, you have to be explicit about your background knowledge, so use phrases like "From my own knowledge, I know that". It's also really important to consider the origin, as that affects the purpose, and therefore the reliability. A lot of people assume that secondary sources are not reliable, but that's not the case, as if it's from a textbook, then a lot of research would go into it, so the information is likely to be accurate.

Thank you and for the 16 marker I didn't know you had to give both sides of the argument. So do you mean like on one hand I appreciate the fact.... then one the other hand this is not... So you say the good things about it and the bad things then state your opinion? Also, will this strategy give you higher marks
Original post by GCSE 9
Thank you so much and my history teacher said to compare in your exam for high grades, should you do this at the end of every paragraph. Or in the conclusion. Seeing as you get A* what do you recommend.

It depends what type of question it is. If it's the first question (source comparison) then in paragraph one, refer to source A, state what the source shows and then in paragraph two, with source B provide the contrast. E.g
Paragraph one:
Source A shows that...
This is shown in the source by....
This is important because...

Paragraph two:
On the other hand/ In contrast, source B shows that...
This is shown by...
This is important because (compare to A)

But if it's a judgement question then you should lay it out as so (or similar)

Intro:
In [question] one of the most important factors is [factor stated in question]. Yet [2 other factors] also played an important role in [question].

P1: Factor in question
Point
Evidence
Explanation
Mini-conclusion: this depends on whether or not you agree with the opinion stated in the question, so; this proves that [factor] was a key area in [question] because... Yet I believe that it is the most/least important factor in contrast to [other factors] because...

Repeat for 2 & 3.
In the conclusion you should explain your argument and summarise the comparisons of each source.

Ideally, you should be comparing throughout but make sure you lay it out clearly. E.g. Don't start off with a comparison in the source comparison question without stating anything to compare it to first.

Hope this helps.
Original post by GCSE 9
Thank you and for the 16 marker I didn't know you had to give both sides of the argument. So do you mean like on one hand I appreciate the fact.... then one the other hand this is not... So you say the good things about it and the bad things then state your opinion? Also, will this strategy give you higher marks

Yeah, you have to look at both sides to get high marks. But make sure your opinion is clear the whole way through, and you maintain it. I can send you an example of an essay later, that I got full marks on if you want?
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
Yeah, you have to look at both sides to get high marks. But make sure your opinion is clear the whole way through, and you maintain it. I can send you an example of an essay later, that I got full marks on if you want?

yes please and do you have time to see one of my essays and see where i went wrong?
Original post by GCSE 9
yes please and do you have time to see one of my essays and see where i went wrong?

Yeah, I'll try and see where you went wrong, but it might be better to email your teacher and ask for feedback, as they'll have experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending