The Student Room Group

Why didn't Trotsky read out Lenin's Testament at the 12th Party Congress?

I'm not sure why he wouldn't, I've just assumed it's because he wouldn't want to be see as attacking Stalin but I'm not sure whether that's right.
(edited 6 years ago)
I thought it was due to a general agreement among other prominent Party members that it shouldn't be read out, like Stalin of course and also Zinoviev and Kamenev who also played a part in the leadership contest but the testament didn't exactly give an 100% favourable view of them. The Ban on Factions (1921) meant everyone had to agree; so Trotsky was probably forced to take the majority view that it shouldn't be read out! That's what I assumed anyway :tongue:
Original post by electrahearts
I thought it was due to a general agreement among other prominent Party members that it shouldn't be read out, like Stalin of course and also Zinoviev and Kamenev who also played a part in the leadership contest but the testament didn't exactly give an 100% favourable view of them. The Ban on Factions (1921) meant everyone had to agree; so Trotsky was probably forced to take the majority view that it shouldn't be read out! That's what I assumed anyway :tongue:

That's right...things were quite tense back then...speaking of testament we could also see it as the USSR's own funeral..no Lenin no progress, without NEP the country struggled perpetually

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending