WJEC Information & Communication Technology IT3 (LEGACY) 1243/01 - 16 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Oh sorry my textbook says how it works! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jasmine_Bunn
Oh sorry my textbook says how it works! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes that good old textbook haha.

That's a dangerous thing you know:biggrin: - most of it is just filler, doesn't it cost like £25 as well?

(though it might be handy if you strictly use it for the questions that have never been asked as I'd imagine that would be the examiner's source for a mark scheme)
(edited 6 years ago)
I have no idea school have them we just borrow them! But it does waffle on about thing a lot😂 good at explaining though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 283
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/18716530_10212939392349754_957810505_n.jpg?oh=f99a87e0fb2a161fd78e7e5cdbd7d8d3&oe=592A08C9
are these questions on dbms and its definition good ?
its from the 2005 mark sheme ... i think
Original post by AA923
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/18716530_10212939392349754_957810505_n.jpg?oh=f99a87e0fb2a161fd78e7e5cdbd7d8d3&oe=592A08C9
are these questions on dbms and its definition good ?
its from the 2005 mark sheme ... i think

Be aware that the specification changed in 2009 so any exams forward of Summer 2010 (inclusive) for IT3 are using the new spec.

In our current specification, all it says for this is "The purpose of Database Management Systems (DBMS), query languages and data dictionaries".

While it certainly wouldn't hurt to learn the features of a DBMS like you have there (just in case) - I would certainly use the question from the IT3 specimen to learn the definition, advantages and disadvantages - purely because it is the most recent publication of answers to this. I think its quite unlikely for this to come up as it is SO OLD, but it might who knows.

Since "features of a DBMS" has never been up (it isn't strictly on the spec anyway), I think he would be lenient on the mark scheme for it plus you could probably just think "What can I do with Microsoft Access?" and answer something like that.
IT1 predictions?
Original post by User0011
IT1 predictions?

I'm not sitting it but I reckon car crash analysis for the little 4 mark theory thing on section b

Also for essay: either home entertainment (uses, advantages, disadvantages, health concerns) or healthcare (blood tracking, sensors, body scanning and MAYBE expert systems)

Healthcare seems most likely out of the two though.

Good quality information will likely be there.

Legislation will likely be there.

I have a weird gut feeling that there will be a mix of topics for the 8 mark and 10 mark essay pair, as seen in 2015.

There is a lingering suspicion that online shopping will be there, but that's due for IT3 so it will be one or the other.

I might be wrong, but I'm just going with my gut and my memory of the potential pattern.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
what about CAD and CAM?, hasn't come up in the last 2 years
Original post by PedanticStudent
I'm not sitting it but I reckon car crash analysis for the little 4 mark theory thing on section b

Also for essay: either home entertainment (uses, advantages, disadvantages, health concerns) or healthcare (blood tracking, sensors, body scanning and MAYBE expert systems)

Healthcare seems most likely out of the two though.

Good quality information will likely be there.

Legislation will likely be there.

I have a weird gut feeling that there will be a mix of topics for the 8 mark and 10 mark essay pair, as seen in 2015.

There is a lingering suspicion that online shopping will be there, but that's due for IT3 so it will be one or the other.

I might be wrong, but I'm just going with my gut and my memory of the potential pattern.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by User0011
what about CAD and CAM?, hasn't come up in the last 2 years

yes that is another one which is likely
Reply 289
yes that is another one which is likely

Heeyy , do u have questions/answers to the question you thought might come up that havent come up yet
Original post by AA923
Heeyy , do u have questions/answers to the question you thought might come up that havent come up yet

Haven't had time yet sry. If I find time to do it then it will be put here as soon as it's done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jan 14 Q14
Give three reasons why relational databases are more secure than a flat file approach.

For the answer do I literally just write:
-Hierarchy of passwords, passwords to see separate parts
-Storage of data separate to programs
-Access rights to parts of the program.
Yes the question specifies give as opposed to describe so you would get away with that
Haven't started revising any tips?
Original post by zoemary
Haven't started revising any tips?

Have a read of the first post of this thread. While that advice applied to those who started revision well in advance in the main, the concept overall is the same.

For a decent grade, I recommend literally sitting and learning a solid full mark mark scheme answer for every question on the following papers

IT3 January 2014
IT3 June 2014
IT3 June 2015

IT3 June 2016 (if you have time)

At this point I thoroughly understand that the process of going through every single question in existence is not practical considering the exam is like a week or so away.

Learn your answers and learn them well, then you will be fine. ICT is full of repeats and those of us who do well are the ones who can regurgitate the answers from past exam questions. Just the way it is.

Best of luck to yourself and anyone else who may be reading.

Be aware that the examiner seems to be taking the approach of recycling the same questions but just making it harder by asking for many more points than usual. Something to look out for...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Have a read of the first post of this thread. While that advice applied to those who started revision well in advance in the main, the concept overall is the same.

For a decent grade, I recommend literally sitting and learning a solid full mark mark scheme answer for every question on the following papers

IT3 January 2014
IT3 June 2014
IT3 June 2015

IT3 June 2016 (if you have time)

At this point I thoroughly understand that the process of going through every single question in existence is not practical considering the exam is like a week or so away.

Learn your answers and learn them well, then you will be fine. ICT is full of repeats and those of us who do well are the ones who can regurgitate the answers from past exam questions. Just the way it is.

Best of luck to yourself and anyone else who may be reading.

Be aware that the examiner seems to be taking the approach of recycling the same questions but just making it harder by asking for many more points than usual. Something to look out for...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much. For networks one of the old questions is 'draw and label a star network' will they ask that again do you think? And how confident are you in your prediction paper?
Original post by zoemary
Thank you very much. For networks one of the old questions is 'draw and label a star network' will they ask that again do you think? And how confident are you in your prediction paper?

First reports from those who sat IT1 are in.

Seems this year he is throwing curveballs and asking things which have not come up before for some questions and/or lifting parts of the mark scheme out and going into much more detail in these parts as I had suspected.

Very interestingly, two friends who sat the paper say that "weather forecasting" came up in a different way and asked for the hardware required to use simulation modelling.

Further, as predicted, the use of ICT in health came up, but requested the things that sensors can measure in healthcare except temperature and (something else) eg: intravenous pressure, pulse, blood sugar, respiratory rate and brain activity. It also wanted a comparison between MRI and CAT (which has been up before but folded into an essay) and also a discussion of the future developments of ICT in healthcare.

Biology students would have been at a clear advantage haha:biggrin:

Very obscure and not seen before especially for the latter.

Another really weird one was something about "the differences between professional and home DTP software" but it is on the specification so well within their rights to ask about it.

I think we would all be well advised to know the answers to the papers above and also gain some knowledge about these things: http://jacktilson.net/dl/IT3-untouched-questions.pdf

Clearly after this turn of events, we would be well served to learn a few things about those specification areas listed in the PDF above.

As for the predictions paper as well now, I have about 60% confidence in it, but this IT1 has been a bit of a wake up call for all of us that anything can happen and that 'curveballs' are very possible indeed.

We need to remember that we are coming to the end of the specification's life now so I'd imagine that the examiner is trying to get in the things which he hasn't asked yet where he can.

And regarding the star network diagram etc, I don't think there is much potential for it to come up again as it is too straightforward.

Good luck.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 297
First reports from those who sat IT1 are in.

Seems this year he is throwing curveballs and asking things which have not come up before for some questions and/or lifting parts of the mark scheme out and going into much more detail in these parts as I had suspected.

Very interestingly, two friends who sat the paper say that "weather forecasting" came up in a different way and asked for the hardware required to use simulation modelling.

Further, as predicted, the use of ICT in health came up, but requested the things that sensors can measure in healthcare except temperature and (something else) eg: intravenous pressure, pulse, blood sugar, respiratory rate and brain activity. It also wanted a comparison between MRI and CAT (which has been up before but folded into an essay) and also a discussion of the future developments of ICT in healthcare.

Biology students would have been at a clear advantage haha:biggrin:

Very obscure and not seen before especially for the latter.

Another really weird one was something about "the differences between professional and home DTP software" but it is on the specification so well within their rights to ask about it.

I think we would all be well advised to know the answers to the papers above and also gain some knowledge about these things: http://jacktilson.net/dl/IT3-untouched-questions.pdf

Clearly after this turn of events, we would be well served to learn a few things about those specification areas listed in the PDF above.

As for the predictions paper as well now, I have about 60% confidence in it, but this IT1 has been a bit of a wake up call for all of us that anything can happen and that 'curveballs' are very possible indeed.

We need to remember that we are coming to the end of the specification's life now so I'd imagine that the examiner is trying to get in the things which he hasn't asked yet where he can.

And regarding the star network diagram etc, I don't think there is much potential for it to come up again as it is too straightforward.

Good luck.

Yeah thank god i got 157 ums last year i cant thank god enough! This paper was horrible 6 new formed questions i wonder what grade boundaries would be ?
Original post by AA923
Yeah thank god i got 157 ums last year i cant thank god enough! This paper was horrible 6 new formed questions i wonder what grade boundaries would be ?

God knows.

Thank god I only need a D in IT3 for A overall. If this IT1 is anything to go by then all hope of an A* has gone haha - not to worry, my offer for uni is AAA.

I will likely be producing "mark schemes" for each of those little things in that PDF which haven't come up yet - probably will just scan some of the textbook and lift some stuff off google where the textbook isn't sufficient.

Keep an eye out for that later.
God knows.

Thank god I only need a D in IT3 for A overall. If this IT1 is anything to go by then all hope of an A* has gone haha - not to worry, my offer for uni is AAA.

I will likely be producing "mark schemes" for each of those little things in that PDF which haven't come up yet - probably will just scan some of the textbook and lift some stuff off google where the textbook isn't sufficient.

Keep an eye out for that later.

Just interested what other A levels are people doing alongside ICT?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending