The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would have considered it, i m dyslexic and dyspraxic so not exactly "normal brained" myself so it'd be veyr hypocritical for me not to
I don't really care.
Reply 3
I wouldn't even know how to open up to a woman about my problem , I can only think the majority would walk away. Hence my question, I am not sure I could ever have a long term relationship and that's my major issue. Short term flings don't give you a lot of happiness in life just temporary pleasure and I am at a stage in life were I feel I would want something long term but it seems impossible.
Reply 4
Original post by feministy
I don't really care.

Why do you say you don't care?

Have you got experience dating people with disability or do you just feel inside you really don't care and that such issues do not bother you easy?
Original post by Mancini
Why do you say you don't care?

Have you got experience dating people with disability or do you just feel inside you really don't care and that such issues do not bother you easy?

I haven't dated anyone lol. But no, it wouldn't bother me.
I think most women nowadays don't care. At least I don't. I'm not gonna think about the disability and then decide if I like that person or not. If anyone thinks that way either they have no heart or are just plain stupid.
It's the 21 century so you would think that people have broadened their horizons.
Reply 7
Original post by Birdie Hoo
I think most women nowadays don't care. At least I don't. I'm not gonna think about the disability and then decide if I like that person or not. If anyone thinks that way either they have no heart or are just plain stupid.
It's the 21 century so you would think that people have broadened their horizons.

Some people have visible disabilities which are clearly seen like say a wheel chair user or maybe they may have behavioural type disabilities.

I have neither but for honesty and a healthy relationship which I would want , I would wish to tell a partner but this seems like a mountain to overcome.

I can't really agree with your bold statement , I just don't see it myself everyone seems materialistic and obsessed with superficial aspects of life. If you are a bit different you suddenly become a loser, a monster.
Reply 8
Original post by feministy
I haven't dated anyone lol. But no, it wouldn't bother me.

Why doesn't it bother you?

Does it not affect the image you have of yourself ? Would you not feel like, 'why should I settle for this disabled person, when I can get a non disabled person who will give me no issues?'

Or maybe you simply may feel disgusted.

( I mean no offence to disabled people , being one myself ) the only way to get answers to questions is to ask them and so I am asking.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mancini
Why doesn't it bother you?

Does it not affect the image you have of yourself ? Would you not feel like, 'why should I settle for this disabled person, when I can get a non disabled person who will give me no issues?'

Or maybe you simply may feel disgusted.

( I mean no offence to disabled people , being one myself ) the only way to get answers to questions is to ask them and so I am asking.

No, it wouldn't
Reply 10
Original post by abc_123_
I would date a guy with a disability ... but if he couldn't have kids it might be a problem because I really want children :frown: x
But if I really loved him we would work around that ... we'd adopt or something x

Having children is something I can do , though on and off during my life I have never totally had a strong urge and being disabled sort of wiped the idea from my mind altogether because I would think to myself ' how will I ever keep a woman, why would she stay with me'.

I have had relationships in the past but recently my confidence is just gone, seeing family members having kids though has reignited my desire to one day have a family of my own.
Someone being disabled wouldn't be an automatic dealbreaker for me. As long as we got on and had feelings for each other, then that would come first. Sure, dating someone with a disability isn't always easy but neither is any relationship and when it's the right person, you see the person and not the illness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mancini
Question for the female sex of TSR

Do you think you could date a person with a disability ?

Or is a disability a straight no, a red mark when it comes to meeting and dating guys?

Depends on the disability and the severity of it
Reply 13
I don't know what the future will hold, I will either die a single men or find a woman who will accept me.

No idea.
Physical disability yes. Mental disability would really be dependent on the specifics.
Original post by Mancini

Or is a disability a straight no, a red mark when it comes to meeting and dating guys?

Yep. I'm deaf - one ear (have a disability) myself .

However I wouldn't date anyone(disabled or not) who would harm myself or harm others(on purpose and not in self defense) verbally, mentally and physically though.

It also depends on the type and level of disability too and how it 'affects or affected' someone's personality etc. <3
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mancini
Some people have visible disabilities which are clearly seen like say a wheel chair user or maybe they may have behavioural type disabilities.

I have neither but for honesty and a healthy relationship which I would want , I would wish to tell a partner but this seems like a mountain to overcome.

I can't really agree with your bold statement , I just don't see it myself everyone seems materialistic and obsessed with superficial aspects of life. If you are a bit different you suddenly become a loser, a monster.

Bold statment? Really? First I'm not saying that every women is like that
Second we´re talking about British people here and as far as I know, they are the most open-minded people you'll ever meet.

You are first and foremost Mancini (or whatever your name is). You're you, then you're a friend/brother/son/whatever, then you're a student/teacher/biologist/whatever and lastly you're a person with a disability. No one needs to love/date your disability, they just have to love/date who you are.

Don't let your disability define you otherwise everyone else will just label you as that person with that problem.
If someone really loves you then they will see you not your disability.

Yeah yeah society has brainwashed us to have certain standards when it comes to beauty and perfection. A girl is only beautiful if she's thin, has big boobs, a nice butt and doesn't have any disability either it be physical or mental. The same goes for a guy, he can only be perfect if he has muscles and abs and of course, he can't have any disease.
Fortunately, times have changed. The mentality of people have evolved and nowadays people are more careful with the way they want to portray beauty (in France it's now illegal for models to be too skinny) and that was due to those ''losers'' or ''monsters'' that you so lightly called.

I don't know what's your disability or how much you've been through and I don't have any but if you happen to like someone and you tell them about it and they just dump you or something then just move on. It's not worth it.
(edited 6 years ago)
I guess it depends on the disability. I couldn't date a guy who couldn't walk or talk!

I'm considered disabled, but I look perfectly healthy on the outside and behave perfectly normally, so dating someone like me wouldn't be an issue.
A guy with a pretty bad physical disability (can't move arms properly and limps on one leg that's permanently bent) who was my best friend, really liked me and I did consider it, but there were parts of his personality (nothing to do with his disability) that got in the way for me and I only saw him as a close friend by that point. Taking it to the next level would've been odd for me.

I've dated guys with mental illnesses like ADHD and bad depression.

But when you meet someone and learn who they are, you very quickly overlook their disability.

Original post by Mancini

I don't think that I would have an issue with it - love is love 😄
Reply 19
all depends on the disability really

stuff like deafness, tourettes, using a crutch etc is no problem to me. without sounding shallow i don't think i'd be too comfortable dating someone who was going to be in a wheelchair for life though. i know that sounds harsh but its just a preference. as for mental health problems, again it would depend on how they were handling it. I've suffered from my own problems in the past so i wouldn't be too harsh towards someone else with issues so long as it didn't interfere with our relationship. for example i worked with people who had schizophrenia and some were happily married whilst others lost their marriage due to their illness because it made them violent some days. so its all down to the person

Latest

Trending

Trending