The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Focus on the course (summer school programme), rather than the university :smile:
Reply 2
Use all your words to show your interest for the course. You will not get a place by just flattering them and their institution. Good luck with your application

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eam0ss
Hi,

I'm applying for the UCL Year 11 summer school at the moment and I'm required to write a 250 word statement about why I'd like to attend the summer school but I'm struggling to articulate exactly why it interests me aside from the usual "prestigious name", "reputation for excellence in humanities", "gain experience of student life in London" etc (I've not written any of that by the way) so please could someone who's got experience help me out? Thanks!

Did you get in? I am going to UCL Young Researchers in the summer
Reply 4
Original post by GCSE_LKSK
Did you get in? I am going to UCL Young Researchers in the summer

Hi i got in too
Reply 5
Original post by f_2000
Hi i got in too

I got on to the Explore UCL summer school, not the Young Researcher since I'm not London based. Exciting times innit. What does the Young Researcher programme entail?
Original post by f_2000
Hi i got in too

That's so cool! See you at Young Researchers! Excited?
Original post by eam0ss
I got on to the Explore UCL summer school, not the Young Researcher since I'm not London based. Exciting times innit. What does the Young Researcher programme entail?

Yeah I'm London based so I expected the research program; The summer schools look so much fun tho! The Young Researcher programme is when you are paired with a mentor in the field of study you would like to go into and do a research project with them, tbh not much detail was given. Are you doing the STEM or arts summer school?
Original post by eam0ss

Hey I'm from Cornwall so went for Explore UCL as well! Doing arts, humanities and social sciences strand (from reading your post i take it you're doing the same?) :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
That's so cool! See you at Young Researchers! Excited?

Really exited but for now just have to focus on these GCSES
Reply 10
Original post by ZakMinett
Hey I'm from Cornwall so went for Explore UCL as well! Doing arts, humanities and social sciences strand (from reading your post i take it you're doing the same?) :smile:

Yes I am omg! See you there :biggrin:
Reply 11
Yeah I'm London based so I expected the research program; The summer schools look so much fun tho! The Young Researcher programme is when you are paired with a mentor in the field of study you would like to go into and do a research project with them, tbh not much detail was given. Are you doing the STEM or arts summer school?

Young Researchers sounded so good! Shame I'm not in London. And I'm doing the arts strand!
Original post by eam0ss
Yes I am omg! See you there :biggrin:

That's awesome!! :biggrin: I'm hoping we might get to do a bit on anthropology/archaeology - sounds hella interesting! What about you??
(also congrats on getting in!)
Reply 13
Original post by ZakMinett
That's awesome!! :biggrin: I'm hoping we might get to do a bit on anthropology/archaeology - sounds hella interesting! What about you??
(also congrats on getting in!)

I get the impression we'll be doing sessions on every humanity and social science (the English lit one will bore me to tears I'm sure... but I love anthropology too- it sounds so fascinating but it's not something we do at school :frown: ) My primary interest is in modern languages though. I speak semi fluent French and German (and I'm doing them for A-Level) and I'm aiming to study them at university so I applied to the summer school knowing UCL had a good rep for modern languages.
Original post by eam0ss
I get the impression we'll be doing sessions on every humanity and social science (the English lit one will bore me to tears I'm sure... but I love anthropology too- it sounds so fascinating but it's not something we do at school :frown: ) My primary interest is in modern languages though. I speak semi fluent French and German (and I'm doing them for A-Level) and I'm aiming to study them at university so I applied to the summer school knowing UCL had a good rep for modern languages.

Guess we'll be pretty busy then! :biggrin: And ikr? I was going to do it for A-level until they axed it, then I was going to do archaeology - except they axed that aswell!

BTW I love languages too, and i'm also planning to study them at uni!! :biggrin: I've gone for french a-level and italian (for beginners).
Original post by f_2000

Yeah same
Just wondering, has anyone from the residential recieved an enrolment form yet? I thought we had to return them by June 9th but I haven't been sent mine yet?
Have you chosen your module yet?
Original post by f_2000
Reply 18
Have you chosen your module yet?

I chose chem first and then bio hbu?
Is anyone else doing the STEM one because I just got my acceptance email.

Latest

Trending

Trending