The Student Room Group

Health anxiety...

how do you deal with it? any success stories?

Scroll to see replies

I used to experience chest pain, headaches, dizziness, nausea, electric shock sensations etc on a daily basis as a result of my anxiety (which then enhanced my anxiety:redface:). It got to the point where this just became my body's natural response to everything and there were many times where I thought I was having a heart attack or had something like a brain tumour.
A couple of weeks ago, I went to the doctors about my anxiety and they gave me some beta-blocker tablets. Since I started taking the tablets, I haven't experienced any of those symptoms and I no longer worry about having deadly diseases all of the time!
I'm currently going through a pretty intense episode of mortality anxiety with looping obsessive thoughts. I worry about getting cancer in the far future and when i see people who die young/middle aged/60s or 70s it convinces me I will too. I feel that if I was guaranteed to die at a very old age I'd be okay.

I have to keep trying to remember that it's just anxiety. I often get cancer dreams where I'm diagnosed and then feel like I have it.

The thing I try to remember is that if I had cancer, I would know about it. My mum told me that the symptoms are VERY obvious and not only is it rare in young people, I would KNOW if I had, say, a brain tumour because I'd be having intense headaches, blurry vision and feel very poorly indeed.

Another thing that helps is to be able to relax and accept that you feel the way you do about your health. Don't fight the thoughts, accept that you have health anxiety. Having health anxiety won't cause you to die or become ill from stress. Stress and anxiety simply cannot kill you. Often people who have health anxiety feel the way they do because they have a lack of control in their personal life, very true for me because of my family situation.

Drinking chamomile tea, sitting with people you trust and hugging them and having them hold you close, getting into a good bedtime routine and staying off screens an hour before bed are all very helpful to me during this time.

SSRI antidepressants, such as sertraline (which i've started a few days ago! wish me luck!) have been known to help obsessive anxious thoughts. I know people who have taken sertraline have found it very very helpful and stopped obsessive thoughts from triggering panic, allowing a clearer mind. If you haven't considered SSRIs, they are worth a try. Stay away from benzodiazapenes (such as diazepam) as they cause horrific withdrawals and are actually damaging drugs. Beta-blockers also help reduce increased heart rate with panic attacks and can ease physical symptoms. I take them for my heart (I have a non-life threatening heart condition), but personally they don't take away my anxious thoughts.
Reply 3
Original post by LeCroissant
I used to experience chest pain, headaches, dizziness, nausea, electric shock sensations etc on a daily basis as a result of my anxiety (which then enhanced my anxiety:redface:). It got to the point where this just became my body's natural response to everything and there were many times where I thought I was having a heart attack or had something like a brain tumour.
A couple of weeks ago, I went to the doctors about my anxiety and they gave me some beta-blocker tablets. Since I started taking the tablets, I haven't experienced any of those symptoms and I no longer worry about having deadly diseases all of the time!

sounds exactly what I am experiencing. I've been having chest pain throat pain crazy heart rate and vertigo to the point where I was rushed to A&E twice to find absolutely nothing. gp then diagnozed me with generalised anxiety disorder and it still gives me pains. it sucks i understand your pain, but im trying to stay off those type of drugs because of their side effects... :confused: glad to know you're doing well though keep it up!

I've been on beta blockers for ages and I still get this stuff :lol: What dosage are you on per day?
Reply 5
Original post by killercars
I'm currently going through a pretty intense episode of mortality anxiety with looping obsessive thoughts. I worry about getting cancer in the far future and when i see people who die young/middle aged/60s or 70s it convinces me I will too. I feel that if I was guaranteed to die at a very old age I'd be okay.

I have to keep trying to remember that it's just anxiety. I often get cancer dreams where I'm diagnosed and then feel like I have it.

The thing I try to remember is that if I had cancer, I would know about it. My mum told me that the symptoms are VERY obvious and not only is it rare in young people, I would KNOW if I had, say, a brain tumour because I'd be having intense headaches, blurry vision and feel very poorly indeed.

Another thing that helps is to be able to relax and accept that you feel the way you do about your health. Don't fight the thoughts, accept that you have health anxiety. Having health anxiety won't cause you to die or become ill from stress. Stress and anxiety simply cannot kill you. Often people who have health anxiety feel the way they do because they have a lack of control in their personal life, very true for me because of my family situation.

Drinking chamomile tea, sitting with people you trust and hugging them and having them hold you close, getting into a good bedtime routine and staying off screens an hour before bed are all very helpful to me during this time.

SSRI antidepressants, such as sertraline (which i've started a few days ago! wish me luck!) have been known to help obsessive anxious thoughts. I know people who have taken sertraline have found it very very helpful and stopped obsessive thoughts from triggering panic, allowing a clearer mind. If you haven't considered SSRIs, they are worth a try. Stay away from benzodiazapenes (such as diazepam) as they cause horrific withdrawals and are actually damaging drugs. Beta-blockers also help reduce increased heart rate with panic attacks and can ease physical symptoms. I take them for my heart (I have a non-life threatening heart condition), but personally they don't take away my anxious thoughts.

Sounds exactly like my situation, i've had constant chest and throat pains as well as odd cancer signs according to google to think that I have some sort of cancer because of my smoking and alcohol abuse to relieve my thoughts ( i too have been going through some horrible times ), been to doctors and been given all clear but told i have this generalized anxiety disorder and depression though but still somewhat obsessed... its crazy, especially when its taking over your life :frown: i've always had a bit of anxiety but recently its been uncontrollable.

thanks for the tips i'll try to add them. i'm laying off the smokes and alcohol too which has been really helpful as well as including exercise in my routine, still a long way to go but some progress > no progress. :smile:

good luck with the SSRIs, i have been prescribed drugs but been hesitant due to their side effects, but hopefully it goes well for you :smile:
till you become addicted to one or both of them. They aren't M and M's you know.Should you really be on the TSR support team if you're posting rubbish like this?
But you can't assume that everyone else is prescribed these drugs by their GP and they certainly don't know that you are, so the implication is that they go out and buy benzodiazepines or strong painkillers to take for their anxiety and that that is a safe and sensible thing to do. If you need them for pain then so be it, but they are highly addictive and shouldn't generally be taken together especially if someone is going to drive or operate machinery. Even taken separately they can impair judgenment and slow reactions etc.
You said
"Pop a benzo or a strong painkiller"
You say you take them for chronic muscle spasm and skeletal pain, but a doctor would never prescribe strong pain killers for anxiety and it would be very rare nowadays that a GP would prescribe Benzodiazepines for anxiety because of their addictive properties and side effects.
You used the slang or street name for benzodiazepines rather than the correct medical term or the name of the drug is worrying too.
Benzodiazepine and stronger pain killers (eg codeine) abuse(ie when not prescribed by a doctor and for recreational purposes) poses risks of dependence, withdrawal and other long-term effects.
If someone suffers from anxiety to a degree that it's interfering with their relationships, work or normal leisure activity etc then they need to see a doctor and try and get some counselling. Sometimes Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can help.Other things to try apart from medication that the doctor might prescribe are mindfullness and yoga. Anxiety is a horrible thing. I know as I suffer from it and it's got worse as I've got older. All GP's have done is prescribe anti-depressants, which as you say aren't without side effects and though not classified as addictive, can lead to dependance and do have withdrawal symptoms. They might help with the anxiety and can be a "life-saver" in reducing symptoms of anxiety, but they don't deal with the underlying cause or help people to manage the anxiety. Recently after an even triggered very bad anxiety I was offered counselling, but there was a 12 week wait! I eventually saw a counsellor privately for 6 visits over 6 weeks.They used Gestalt which i designed to focus on the "here and now" rather than allowing your mind to be focused on "what if" that might be years down the line and might never happen! Gestalt also helps people to start living their life again ie resumimg and focusing on their usual activities. It might also be helpful to contact MIND or a student counsellor at the University.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
sounds exactly what I am experiencing. I've been having chest pain throat pain crazy heart rate and vertigo to the point where I was rushed to A&E twice to find absolutely nothing. gp then diagnozed me with generalised anxiety disorder and it still gives me pains. it sucks i understand your pain, but im trying to stay off those type of drugs because of their side effects... :confused: glad to know you're doing well though keep it up!

You don't need to worry about side-effects with beta-blocker tablets. They are not addictive and they don't alter the chemistry of your brain at all. All they do is stop the effects of adrenaline. :smile:
Original post by WoodyMKC
I've been on beta blockers for ages and I still get this stuff :lol: What dosage are you on per day?

I take 40mg tablets and can have up to three per day depending on how anxious I feel. I'm on propanalol if that helps? They work wonders for me :smile:
Both of which are highly addictive narcotics - very irresponsible post from someone who should know better.
I take 40mg tablets and can have up to three per day depending on how anxious I feel. I'm on propanalol if that helps? They work wonders for me :smile:

I'm on propranolol also, two 40mg tablets a day as a base dose but I can take more as needed. When I take more it does help a bit and I'm reluctant to actually increase the dose permanently because of the side effects.
You don't need to worry about side-effects with beta-blocker tablets. They are not addictive and they don't alter the chemistry of your brain at all. All they do is stop the effects of adrenaline. :smile:

That's not strictly true. Beta blockers are used to manage high BP and can cause angina,heart block (where the top chambers of the heart beat very slowly but the impulses can't get through to the lower chambers) low BP, dizziness, burred vision. dry mouth, problems concentrating and tiredness/fatigue. Over time you will get used to having them in your system to control anxiety. Then you'll need more and then you can't do without them. That may not be addiction, but it's dependance
MOST IMPORTANTLY- they are contra-indicated in Asthma because blocking the beta receptor sites leads to bronchospasm ( constriction of the tubes that the oxygen passes through inside the lungs) and in diabetics they can mask the signs of low blood sugar. Tell you what for a group of what I would think are supposed to be moderately intelligent people you must never read the patient infornation leaflet in the box or lookup the drugs you're taking except on sites that are about recreational drug use.

For a lot of people, beta-blockers have no side-effects. However, you can actually become dependant on them. I was on 25mg and moved up to 50mg. They make me very achey and tired and depressed, and when I went back down to 25mg my anxiety went through the roof. They can have withdrawal effects in some cases and, though they are just beta-blockers, they shouldn't be taken as lightly as you say. I thought the same as you before though.
Original post by whatsthenews
That's not strictly true. Beta blockers are used to manage high BP and can cause angina,heart block (where the top chambers of the heart beat very slowly but the impulses can't get through to the lower chambers) low BP, dizziness, burred vision. dry mouth, problems concentrating and tiredness/fatigue. Over time you will get used to having them in your system to control anxiety. Then you'll need more and then you can't do without them. That may not be addiction, but it's dependance
MOST IMPORTANTLY- they are contra-indicated in Asthma because blocking the beta receptor sites leads to bronchospasm ( constriction of the tubes that the oxygen passes through inside the lungs) and in diabetics they can mask the signs of low blood sugar. Tell you what for a group of what I would think are supposed to be moderately intelligent people you must never read the patient infornation leaflet in the box or lookup the drugs you're taking except on sites that are about recreational drug use.

I'm not athsmatic or diabetic so the latter side effects are irrelevant to me. I used to experience dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth etc on a daily basis before taking these tablets but now I don't.
Also, I have read the patient leaflet but the side effects you have brought up only effect around 1 in 100 people.
Maybe in the future, I'll become dependant on them like you said but hopefully I'll be able to have CBT before then. Mental health services are terrible these days due to government cuts so drugs are the only thing I can rely on.

Just seen this, and I must agree with @whatsthenews here - although there aren't the same side effects as actual mental health medications in terms of altering brain chemistry, there are certainly side effects generally. Especially the longer you take them. I got almost no side effects at first, but after taking them for a couple of years I've noticed that they make you tired and fatigued a lot more easily, due to stress and adrenaline-like hormones being blocked; they're basically the exact opposite of asthma drugs, and they can both decrease exercise capacity and basically make you feel less "fit"; when you come off them you might be worse than you were before, unless you come off very gradually, due to both emotional dependence and a rebound effect on your beta adrenergic receptors bouncing back and overcompensating; and they can also have an affect on your blood sugar levels (lower them) which can make you feel sluggish a lot of the time and actually causes diabetic-like hypos which I get semi-regularly now.

They can also cause fat gain. Some people like to disagree with this, but when you look at how they work, it's inarguable. The beta adrenergic receptors stimulate the release of fat stores into the blood stream to be used - same reason that clenbuterol and ephedrine, classed as beta adrenergic agonists/stimulators and originally designed as treatments for asthma, are two of the most commonly abused drugs by bodybuilders and physique athletes for fat loss, because stimulating the beta receptors causes an increase in the breakdown of fat tissue in the body and an increase in energy levels so that you generally want to move more and burn more calories. So, blocking those receptors will decrease the use of stored bodyfat as energy and decrease your energy levels, so not only do you burn less calories through less activity and become more likely to gain fat as a result of that, but also that gained fat is less likely to come off. This is likely the reason why blood sugar levels tend to be lower when beta blockers are used - the body, using less stored fat, has to turn to glucose and blood sugar for energy instead.

Honestly, if I could go back in time I'd never have started them, but of course there's always the option to slowly come off and I'd be fine after a while so it's not all bad. I certainly would educate yourself on the side effects before taking them, though, because doctors tend to be incredibly blasé about doing so.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by WoodyMKC
Just seen this, and I must agree with @whatsthenews here - although there aren't the same side effects as actual mental health medications in terms of altering brain chemistry, there are certainly side effects generally. Especially the longer you take them. I got almost no side effects at first, but after taking them for a couple of years I've noticed that they make you tired and fatigued a lot more easily, due to stress and adrenaline-like hormones being blocked; they're basically the exact opposite of asthma drugs, and they can both decrease exercise capacity and basically make you feel less "fit"; when you come off them you might be worse than you were before, unless you come off very gradually, due to both emotional dependence and a rebound effect on your beta adrenergic receptors bouncing back and overcompensating; and they can also have an affect on your blood sugar levels (lower them) which can make you feel sluggish a lot of the time and actually causes diabetic-like hypos which I get semi-regularly now.

They can also cause fat gain. Some people like to disagree with this, but when you look at how they work, it's inarguable. The beta adrenergic receptors stimulate the release of fat stores into the blood stream to be used - same reason that clenbuterol and ephedrine, classed as beta adrenergic agonists/stimulators and originally designed as treatments for asthma, are two of the most commonly abused drugs by bodybuilders and physique athletes for fat loss, because stimulating the beta receptors causes an increase in the breakdown of fat tissue in the body and an increase in energy levels so that you generally want to move more and burn more calories. So, blocking those receptors will decrease the use of stored bodyfat as energy and decrease your energy levels, so not only do you burn less calories through less activity and become more likely to gain fat as a result of that, but also that gained fat is less likely to come off. This is likely the reason why blood sugar levels tend to be lower when beta blockers are used - the body, using less stored fat, has to turn to glucose and blood sugar for energy instead.

Honestly, if I could go back in time I'd never have started them, but of course there's always the option to slowly come off and I'd be fine after a while so it's not all bad. I certainly would educate yourself on the side effects before taking them, though, because doctors tend to be incredibly blasé about doing so.

Thank you for this information. My doctor said that the only concern she had about me going on them is that they might make me short of breath sometimes. She also mentioned the possibility of having low blood sugar but she said I should just eat something salty if that happens.
When I started taking them, I was in a bit of a desperate situation so I would have taken any drug, regardless of its side effects, if I knew it would reduce my anxiety. I know that sounds stupid and reckless but honestly, that's how desperate I was.

I'm hoping not to be on them for a long period of time but right now they're helping me get through exams :s-smilie:.
Thank you for this information. My doctor said that the only concern she had about me going on them is that they might make me short of breath sometimes. She also mentioned the possibility of having low blood sugar but she said I should just eat something salty if that happens.
When I started taking them, I was in a bit of a desperate situation so I would have taken any drug, regardless of its side effects, if I knew it would reduce my anxiety. I know that sounds stupid and reckless but honestly, that's how desperate I was.

I'm hoping not to be on them for a long period of time but right now they're helping me get through exams :s-smilie:.

Well, anxiety makes us make rash decisions sometimes, I know that first hand :lol: I don't think they're horrific and to be avoided at all costs, but just to clarify that there are potential side effects and they should always be looked out for, and if it becomes a problem then talk to the doc about discontinuing the medication. I guess the good thing is that there's a very low likelihood of actual long term negative health effects and especially if one comes off of the meds in a safe way.
I'm not athsmatic or diabetic so the latter side effects are irrelevant to me. I used to experience dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth etc on a daily basis before taking these tablets but now I don't.
Also, I have read the patient leaflet but the side effects you have brought up only effect around 1 in 100 people.
Maybe in the future, I'll become dependant on them like you said but hopefully I'll be able to have CBT before then. Mental health services are terrible these days due to government cuts so drugs are the only thing I can rely on.

So it's not correct to say "you don't have to worry about side effects or dependance". I agree about mental health services, well at least for people who suffer from anxiety and depression. Seems to be no shortage of services and support for people who are alcoholic or addicted to class a drugs. CBT never made a jot of difference to me, mind they only gave me 2 sessions. The NHS seems to like it because it's seen as a quick fix.

Quick Reply

Latest