The Student Room Group

Re-picking my a-levels?

On results day, I want to change TWO of my 3 A-levels. Will they let me or will there be space problems or what? p.s I want to change sociology and eng lang to history and RS (or maybe eng lit.) Im keeping psychology.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Salma1912
On results day, I want to change TWO of my 3 A-levels. Will they let me or will there be space problems or what? p.s I want to change sociology and eng lang to history and RS (or maybe eng lit.) Im keeping psychology.

Unless you can prove to your college that you are an exceptionally hard worker, I severely doubt that they will let you change two of your a levels. However, it isn't uncommon to change one of your a levels. I do actually have a lot of friends that do history and a friend who does RS. I think RS will be reasonably simple to do within one year- however I do not suggest trying to do history in one year. Some history subjects are more respected than others, but all of them require you to put in a LOT of work. There is a lot you have to remember.

On the other hand, English Language is much more respected than RS so that's something to consider. However, I'd strongly suggest doing what makes you happy. If you enjoy the subject achieving high grades is much easier.

English Literature is one of my A Level subjects (I'm in A2, nearly at exam time) and I think to be honest if you really put the work in, you might be able to get a good grade- but I mean REALLY put the work in, because a lot of A2 knowledge builds on AS. Personally, I couldn't imagine doing English Lit in just one year- but hey, you're probably better at it than me. The real killer was the course work but I managed to get an A* (thank God).

Honestly, I wish I had changed one of my subjects on AS results day. I'd be one hell of a lot happier than I am now. It's imperative to take subjects you like- something that I didn't do, sadly. So here I am two weeks away from my biology exam wanting to die ahahah:P

But seriously, I could be completely wrong about not being allowed to change two subjects. I think it'll be bloody hard either way, but you could always email your tutor and just ask ahead of time :smile: good luck!

Do you mean when you get your GCSE results or have you already done the first year of A levels? Nobody here can possibly know if the school/college will have space on courses if you want to switch in August. If you have already made up your mind I'd recommend you talk to them about it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by cuttlebone
Unless you can prove to your college that you are an exceptionally hard worker, I severely doubt that they will let you change two of your a levels. However, it isn't uncommon to change one of your a levels. I do actually have a lot of friends that do history and a friend who does RS. I think RS will be reasonably simple to do within one year- however I do not suggest trying to do history in one year. Some history subjects are more respected than others, but all of them require you to put in a LOT of work. There is a lot you have to remember.

On the other hand, English Language is much more respected than RS so that's something to consider. However, I'd strongly suggest doing what makes you happy. If you enjoy the subject achieving high grades is much easier.

English Literature is one of my A Level subjects (I'm in A2, nearly at exam time) and I think to be honest if you really put the work in, you might be able to get a good grade- but I mean REALLY put the work in, because a lot of A2 knowledge builds on AS. Personally, I couldn't imagine doing English Lit in just one year- but hey, you're probably better at it than me. The real killer was the course work but I managed to get an A* (thank God).

Honestly, I wish I had changed one of my subjects on AS results day. I'd be one hell of a lot happier than I am now. It's imperative to take subjects you like- something that I didn't do, sadly. So here I am two weeks away from my biology exam wanting to die ahahah:P

But seriously, I could be completely wrong about not being allowed to change two subjects. I think it'll be bloody hard either way, but you could always email your tutor and just ask ahead of time :smile: good luck!

Thank you so much for the advice. However, I take History for GCSE and find it
pretty cool and easy (im confident in getting A* I even got an A for coursework)
but obviously A level is harder, but is it harder than what a GCSE history student can do?

Also, I though RS was highly regarded as a respected subject and honestly im really good at it. Im predicted a 6 for eng lang but im scared i'll fail it. Same with Lit, im interetsted but scared of failing. I dont want to take the risk. Plus eng lang doesnt seem really helpful in life, whereas RS is.

Additionally, Im sure i can somehow persuade them to give me what I want. I need to, i cant be stuck with sociology and eng lang, i'll suffer. I want to try new thing and stuff i enjoy. But i guess the truth will be unvieled on results day.
Reply 4
Original post by abc_123_
If you give them notice they'll let you change ... in my school you could change up until 6 weeks after the course started as long as you were prepared to catch up x

so if i email them, will that work?
Thank you so much for the advice. However, I take History for GCSE and find it
pretty cool and easy (im confident in getting A* I even got an A for coursework)
but obviously A level is harder, but is it harder than what a GCSE history student can do?

Also, I though RS was highly regarded as a respected subject and honestly im really good at it. Im predicted a 6 for eng lang but im scared i'll fail it. Same with Lit, im interetsted but scared of failing. I dont want to take the risk. Plus eng lang doesnt seem really helpful in life, whereas RS is.

Additionally, Im sure i can somehow persuade them to give me what I want. I need to, i cant be stuck with sociology and eng lang, i'll suffer. I want to try new thing and stuff i enjoy. But i guess the truth will be unvieled on results day.

Oh right! You're doing GCSE/ in year eleven? I thought you'd completed your AS levels!
Oh, well, in that case, I would highly recommend doing English Lit! Not only is it very interesting and easy to revise for, but it is very highly respected, as is history. RS is definitely less respected, but still more respected than sociology is. English Language is, like English Lit and History, very highly looked upon. Additionally, I might add, a history or english A level opens far more opportunities for more degree courses than sociology or RS. Lit is easy to revise for- you just need to get into the rhythm of writing essays. After you get those cracked its fab, and you get to be creative and opinionated. Be prepared for a lot of content whether you do history or sociology :smile:
Honestly, if you haven't even started AS, you can change all three subjects if you like! At my college you could change your subjects after the first week- but many people changed on gcse results day. I did. It's totally normal, don't worry! Better to change now than later on!
Additionally, be prepared. I take sciences and English Lit, and my friends who take sciences say that psychology is difficult (there is a lot to learn, but if you love it it's meant to be easier, as with any A Level). Let me know what you decide, and good luck!

Edit: Also you should know that your college will be completely fine with you changing on results day. Most people at my college did. And, as I've said before, you gotta do what makes you happy. If history, english lit, rs and psychology make you happy then achieving high grades in whichever three you pick is 5000 times easier. They're all respected A Levels. I think history is a slight step up when you get to A Level but only because there is more to learn. If youre good with dates etc then it should be fine. Be warned though, Lit and History have coursework in A2. Kinda time consuming but worth it, I think. Takes pressure off exam :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by gdunne42
Do you mean when you get your GCSE results or have you already done the first year of A levels? Nobody here can possibly know if the school/college will have space on courses if you want to switch in August. If you have already made up your mind I'd recommend you talk to them about it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, im still doing my GCSE's and we were sort of rushed when we were picking our A-levels, which is why im reconsidering them. So, I want to change them on results day after my meeting with the college on that same day.
Reply 7
Original post by cuttlebone
Oh right! You're doing GCSE/ in year eleven? I thought you'd completed your AS levels!
Oh, well, in that case, I would highly recommend doing English Lit! Not only is it very interesting and easy to revise for, but it is very highly respected, as is history. RS is definitely less respected, but still more respected than sociology is. English Language is, like English Lit and History, very highly looked upon. Additionally, I might add, a history or english A level opens far more opportunities for more degree courses than sociology or RS. Lit is easy to revise for- you just need to get into the rhythm of writing essays. After you get those cracked its fab, and you get to be creative and opinionated. Be prepared for a lot of content whether you do history or sociology :smile:
Honestly, if you haven't even started AS, you can change all three subjects if you like! At my college you could change your subjects after the first week- but many people changed on gcse results day. I did. It's totally normal, don't worry! Better to change now than later on!
Additionally, be prepared. I take sciences and English Lit, and my friends who take sciences say that psychology is difficult (there is a lot to learn, but if you love it it's meant to be easier, as with any A Level). Let me know what you decide, and good luck!

Edit: Also you should know that your college will be completely fine with you changing on results day. Most people at my college did. And, as I've said before, you gotta do what makes you happy. If history, english lit, rs and psychology make you happy then achieving high grades in whichever three you pick is 5000 times easier. They're all respected A Levels. I think history is a slight step up when you get to A Level but only because there is more to learn. If youre good with dates etc then it should be fine. Be warned though, Lit and History have coursework in A2. Kinda time consuming but worth it, I think. Takes pressure off exam :smile:

Thanks for the fast reply. However, wont Eng Lit, History and psychology be a bit too much for me? Im not really good at remembering quotes and plots and all that (i suffered on my lit gcse exams last week). However, i enjoyed it, but I dont think I can ace it, and I really want to ace all my a-levels in college (unlike high school).
Thanks for the fast reply. However, wont Eng Lit, History and psychology be a bit too much for me? Im not really good at remembering quotes and plots and all that (i suffered on my lit gcse exams last week). However, i enjoyed it, but I dont think I can ace it, and I really want to ace all my a-levels in college (unlike high school).

If you enjoy it, then it puts you at a huge advantage. I think there are two main reasons that are good enough as to why someone would not do an A Level.

1)If you don't like it.
2)If it is a waste of time/ is not respected and won't help you get where you need to go.

I don't think that self-doubt is a good enough reason to not go for something. Belive in yourself. If you love your subjects, you will be happier about life. Therefore you will revise more and your revision time won't be wasted, because you will retain the information easier. Simple as. You're too young to doubt your abilities so much.

However, if you genuinely dislike Lit then don't do it.

Quick Reply

Latest