The Student Room Group

Why does the left support censorship ?

It appears that the left wing and liberals in general support censorship, especially when it comes to controversial topics such as Islam. I would like to know why on earth people of these political affiliations decide to contradict themselves and restrict freedom of speech.

Scroll to see replies

bcuz 'feelings'
Reply 2
Original post by pastelsloth
bcuz 'feelings'

Oh, hello there troll.
Well stranger I've never met before , This is because the left have always been known as the most tolerant people on earth who accept anyone with any views.................. As far as the views don't disagree with theirs
Original post by aytuiq
Oh, hello there troll.

what.
i just meant bc they care too much about feelings...are you really gonna hold a grudge from the previous thread? quite sad actually.
Reply 5
Original post by LetMeLive
Well stranger I've never met before , This is because the left have always been known as the most tolerant people on earth who accept anyone with any views.................. As far as the views don't disagree with theirs

Thanks you for your profound post and comment 'LetMeLive'.
Reply 6
Original post by pastelsloth
what.
i just meant bc they care too much about feelings...are you really gonna hold a grudge from the previous thread? quite sad actually.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post.

Yes, people do need to take their emotions and feelings out of politics. Politics is about improving lives for the whole population and the greater good, not just making yourself feel satisfied.
i must add that on the oppression olympics.

Muslims and blacks are first

Followed by trannys and Gays

Then coloured Women
Can you provide an example so we know what sort of censorship you're referring to? Given you've generalised and grouped the left wing and liberals, it's hard to understand exactly who and what you're talking about.

Unless of course you wished to create another pointless, political ideology bashing thread, in which case have fun, I shan't partake.
I am a lefty who does not support censorship. None of the lefty buddies I have support censorship, so far as I can tell. So I can't really answer your question. =/
Reply 11
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I am a lefty who does not support censorship. None of the lefty buddies I have support censorship, so far as I can tell. So I can't really answer your question. =/

Good for you, I have nothing against you.

Hardly state censorship. All he did was ban certain websites from his employees in the local governemt. They were able to access them at home.

Heck, it even gives an example of something that the conservatives did that caused them being accused of state censorship.
Reply 13
Well I am not a conservative myself either, I am aware they censor as well.
Any form of censorship is disgusting, government employees should know which websites are appropriate to access safely at work anyway and if they do not they should not have been employed - long live Internet anarchy, the Internet started off as a free and censorship free place, where people could educate themselves on anything they wished but after some time large corporations and governments infiltrated the project and turned it sour.
Gays can force Christian bakeries to bake for them or get fined $100,000 but Islamic cake shops get away scot-free
Original post by aytuiq
It appears that the left wing and liberals in general support censorship, especially when it comes to controversial topics such as Islam. I would like to know why on earth people of these political affiliations decide to contradict themselves and restrict freedom of speech.

because everyone is allowed an opinion. as long as it's their opinion
Doesn't both side support censorship to an extent? :s-smilie:
Original post by aytuiq
Well I am not a conservative myself either, I am aware they censor as well.
Any form of censorship is disgusting, government employees should know which websites are appropriate to access safely at work anyway and if they do not they should not have been employed - long live Internet anarchy, the Internet started off as a free and censorship free place, where people could educate themselves on anything they wished but after some time large corporations and governments infiltrated the project and turned it sour.

So the left doesn't just censor but the right does it as well.

Well... this thread shouldn't be about why the left support censorship, should it?
Reply 18
Original post by LetMeLive
Gays can force Christian bakeries to bake for them or get fined $100,000 but Islamic cake shops get away scot-free

What !
That is terrible, who would have thought they were capable of such terrible acts !

They also smoke 5 cigarette per smoke and then breath tarmac onto lung surfaces just like bakery oven- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Reply 19
Original post by SmileyVibe
Doesn't both side support censorship to an extent? :s-smilie:

Agreed, but it seems to be a bigger problem with the left.

Please people remember that political spectrum is not just left/right there is also libertarianism and authoritarianism.

I am a right wing libertarian, the group probably most opposed to censorship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending