The Student Room Group

STEM help

Hi

My daughter has been working really hard over the last couple of weeks on questions for I believe something called STEM (while also doing mocks). There is a course coming up that she wants to attend and needs to submit responses to questions by tomorrow 31st.

She is stuck on the final questions and has really,really tried to research answers.

I can't find a maths teacher/tutor near me -the one I contacted through tutor hunt hasn't contacted me yet.

Can anyone advise if there is someone she can contact (safely!) to chat online with, who might point her in the right direction of how to approach the questions.

Many thanks and wishing all undergoing any form of exam , the very best of luck .

Cheers
Cars

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eclecticepping
Hi

My daughter has been working really hard over the last couple of weeks on questions for I believe something called STEM (while also doing mocks). There is a course coming up that she wants to attend and needs to submit responses to questions by tomorrow 31st.

She is stuck on the final questions and has really,really tried to research answers.

I can't find a maths teacher/tutor near me -the one I contacted through tutor hunt hasn't contacted me yet.

Can anyone advise if there is someone she can contact (safely!) to chat online with, who might point her in the right direction of how to approach the questions.

Many thanks and wishing all undergoing any form of exam , the very best of luck .

Cheers
Cars

What are the questions?

TSR is pretty good at helping with advice.
Original post by uberteknik
What are the questions?

Wow, that was quick,many thanks. Sorry I'm new to this .What is TSR ?
Wow, that was quick,many thanks. Sorry I'm new to this .What is TSR ?

Duh - it's been a long day.

Di I just ask her to post up the questions , or do I direct her to a particular place on the site ? Thanks
Duh - it's been a long day.

Di I just ask her to post up the questions , or do I direct her to a particular place on the site ? Thanks

Apologies, I was away for a while.

Post them here and I will try to help. :smile:
What are the questions?

Hello l here. All of the questions that are left to do are beyond what we have been taught but I would like to try and complete as many as I can to give myself a chance of being selected on the course ,so any help as to how to approach the question would be great.

First question :

Steel balls of mass 0.1kg are dropped from a height of 5m onto a smooth steel plate inclined at 45 degrees to the vertical. Acceleration can be assumed as 9.81m/s^2.
If the balls are dropped one at a time at a rate of 100/s, what is the average force on the plate? You may assume that the collisions between the ball and the plate are elastic and that each ball hits the plate only once.

Many thanks
L
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi again

L here .Some of the questions seem to cover areas we haven't been taught yet ,so any help you can give in approaching the questions would be great. I've sent the link to the first question:

Many thanks
L
(edited 6 years ago)
Apologies, I was away for a while.

Post them here and I will try to help. :smile:

Hi just to let you know she's posted up but going through moderation. Are you allowed to give personal E-mails (mine as parent ) if that's easier?
Hi just to let you know she's posted up but going through moderation. Are you allowed to give personal E-mails (mine as parent ) if that's easier?

Hi,

Thanks for posting. Please post up your questions here so the community can help you. You can either give a screenshot of the questions, type them out or provide a link to the question on the exam board website. Your posts have been edited to remove these links (this is what the moderation is)

Please do not post up full papers, as they are copyrighted resources. Similarly, please do not post a link which points to a full paper on an external website, for similar copyright reasons. We do not allow the sharing of personal email addresses on the public forums for reasons of privacy and safeguarding.

Just post back, quoting my thread if I can help further :smile:

PS: have you looked at our sister site, GetRevising?
Thanks for all the info. I've attached screenshots .Is that ok?

Thanks L
Thanks for all the info. I've attached screenshots .Is that ok?

Thanks L

Perfect - that's absolutely fine. I'm afraid I'm not an expert on physics, otherwise I'd try to help you. However, I'm quoting in a Community Assistant, @RDKGames who might either be able to help directly or know of someone who can.
Original post by Reality Check
Perfect - that's absolutely fine. I'm afraid I'm not an expert on physics, otherwise I'd try to help you. However, I'm quoting in a Community Assistant, @RDKGames who might either be able to help directly or know of someone who can.

Great thanks. I really appreciate your time in helping me. L.
Great thanks. I really appreciate your time in helping me. L.

That's fine - you're welcome. You might not get an instant response I'm afraid because everyone is volunteers here, but you will get a response shortly.

Hi.

The very first step which needs to be done is to work out the velocity of the falling steel balls when they hit the steel plate. This can be done with the use of SUVAT formulae - which your daughter will no doubt be familiar with.

Your daughter should also be familiar with the concept that force is defined as the rate of change in momentum:

ΔF=Δ(mv)Δt\Delta F = \dfrac{\Delta (mv)}{\Delta t}.

Sum up the momentum imparted by the 100 falling balls and divide that by the time interval over which this occurs to give the average force.
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
Hi.

The very first step which needs to be done is to work out the velocity of the falling steel balls when they hit the steel plate. This can be done with the use of SUVAT formulae - which your daughter will no doubt be familiar with.

Your daughter should also be familiar with the concept that force is defined as the rate of change in momentum:

ΔF=Δ(mv)Δt\Delta F = \dfrac{\Delta (mv)}{\Delta t}.

Sum up the momentum imparted by the 100 falling balls and divide that by the time interval over which this occurs to give the average force.

Really appreciate your help. I've done this step now and I get 99 N to two sig fig. The answer system says I am close to the right answer but remember that it is a 45 degree angle.I'm stuck with this bit?
thanks L
Really appreciate your help. I've done this step now and I get 99 N to two sig fig. The answer system says I am close to the right answer but remember that it is a 45 degree angle.I'm stuck with this bit?
thanks L

The force which you have calculated is the magnitude of the force. This can be decomposed into the two components perpendicular and parallel to the plate.

The force component required is defined as that perpendicular to the plate. You need to resolve the magnitude of the force to obtain the perpendicular component. Since the angle is 45 degrees, you will find that the perpendicular and parallel components have the same magnitude.

On a semi-related note, could I ask which website this question is from?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
The force which you have calculated is the magnitude of the force. This can be decomposed into the two components perpendicular and parallel to the plate.

The force component required is defined as that perpendicular to the plate. You need to resolve the magnitude of the force to obtain the perpendicular component. Since the angle is 45 degrees, you will find that the perpendicular and parallel components have the same magnitude.

On a semi-related note, could I ask which website this question is from?

Hi

The answer I have come up with is 70.036N but they are telling me that is wrong but I'm not sure why This is the ISAAC PHYSICS site. tx L
Hi

The answer I have come up with is 70.036N but they are telling me that is wrong but I'm not sure why This is the ISAAC PHYSICS site. tx L

Your value is half of the actual value. Do you know why?
Original post by Eimmanuel
Your value is half of the actual value. D

Thank you so much to you both. 140 is the correct answer .The only thing I can think of is that I forgot to take into account the normal reaction but I don't think it's that? If you can explain getting to the answer from the first step answer 99, i'd really like to understand.

I have managed to answer 18 out of the 20 questions set . One is a level 5 on the site which is well above my year 12 knowledge, so I don't think I'll get that one , but perhaps I could ask for some guidance on the 19th one. Best L.
[QUOTE="eclecticepping;71793900"]
Original post by Eimmanuel
Your value is half of the actual value. D

Thank you so much to you both. 140 is the correct answer .The only thing I can think of is that I forgot to take into account the normal reaction but I don't think it's that? If you can explain getting to the answer from the first step answer 99, i'd really like to understand.

I have managed to answer 18 out of the 20 questions set . One is a level 5 on the site which is well above my year 12 knowledge, so I don't think I'll get that one , but perhaps I could ask for some guidance on the 19th one. Best L.

Can you post your working? I am outside now, so I can't really type out the explanation. It is a pain to type maths eqn in this forum using phone.

Quick Reply

Latest