The Student Room Group

Why did Hitler stage the Munich Putsch?

Please give me two developed points as I am confused, thank-you.
Hitler was taking advantage of the:
- Weakness in governmental reactions to other uprisings (Sparticist: Too harsh punishment/relied on Freikorps/Kapp: Lenient with punishment, showing their leniency on extremist right-wing politics in comparison to extremist left/reliant on the public to help crush revolt)
- Hyperinflation/Invasion of the Ruhr (remember he launches the Putsch like a few months into hyperinflation)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by saharan_skies
Hitler was taking advantage of the:
- Weakness in governmental reactions to other uprisings (Sparticist: Too harsh punishment/relied on Freikorps/Kapp: Lenient with punishment, showing their leniency/reliant on the people to help crush revolt)
- Hyperinflation/Invasion of the Ruhr (remember he launches the Putsch like a few months into hyperinflation)

Thank-you so much! But, how did the hyperinflation impact his decision? Is it just because of the weakness of the economy and how Hitler was taking advantage of how weak the government was?
Yeah, definitely, think about the conditions during hyperinflation, people were burning money to keep warm, talk about the starvation that the people faced and how in extreme times people turn to extreme measures :smile:
Original post by ?Hannah?
Thank-you so much! But, how did the hyperinflation impact his decision? Is it just because of the weakness of the economy and how Hitler was taking advantage of how weak the government was?
Reply 4
Yeah, definitely, think about the conditions during hyperinflation, people were burning money to keep warm, talk about the starvation that the people faced and how in extreme times people turn to extreme measures :smile:

Have you already done the history gcse?
Nah, I'm sitting it this year too haha; I just have a lot of space for history stuff in my brain
Have you already done the history gcse?
Reply 6
Please give me two developed points as I am confused, thank-you.

The goal of the Munich Putsch (aka the Beer Hall Putsch) was for the Nazi Party to take over the government of Bavaria in November 1923. Hitler, along with his storm troopers who he had his up-most faith, marched on Munich and expected to create a spontaneous revolution that would allow him to take over the Bavarian government. Hitler modeled his coup attempt directly on what happened in Italy when Mussolini took control over Italy, as you can tell Hannah, Adolf Hitler was inspired by Mussolini's (another dictator) ideologies. The coup attempt was very unorganised and amateurish. There was very little coordination between the various people and groups involved in the attempted coup. Initially this was supposed to be a spontaneous revolution with support from the people and the government of Bavaria was supposed to give in, or at least that is what Hitler and his supporters thought. When this did not happen the conspirators did not have a plan of what to do next. When Hitler and his supporters marched to the government buildings in Munich state police counterattacked. Several people, including Nazi party members were killed. The coup attempt failed and as a result Hitler and his associates were arrested and charged with treason. Hitler was convicted and sentenced to prison. It was during this prison term that Hitler penned his book Mein Kampf (or however you spell it).

Albeit Hitler was not successful in taking over the government in Bavaria the attempted coup, his trial, and the aftermath brought a great deal of prominence to the Nazi party as Hitler grew to fame outlining all the incompetence of the Weimer Republic at that time.
(edited 6 years ago)
those are really interesting points! :smile: Shame my history teacher didn't really go over Italy in class.
Original post by Phil2000
The goal of the Munich Putsch (aka the Beer Hall Putsch) was for the Nazi Party to take over the government of Bavaria in November 1923. Hitler, along with his storm troopers who he had his up-most faith, marched on Munich and expected to create a spontaneous revolution that would allow him to take over the Bavarian government. Hitler modeled his coup attempt directly on what happened in Italy when Mussolini took control over Italy, as you can tell Hannah, Adolf Hitler was inspired by Mussolini's (another dictator) ideologies. The coup attempt was very unorganised and amateurish. There was very little coordination between the various people and groups involved in the attempted coup. Initially this was supposed to be a spontaneous revolution with support from the people and the government of Bavaria was supposed to give in, or at least that is what Hitler and his supporters thought. When this did not happen the conspirators did not have a plan of what to do next. When Hitler and his supporters marched to the government buildings in Munich state police counterattacked. Several people, including Nazi party members were killed. The coup attempt failed and as a result Hitler and his associates were arrested and charged with treason. Hitler was convicted and sentenced to prison. It was during this prison term that Hitler penned his book Mein Kampf (or however you spell it).

Albeit Hitler was not successful in taking over the government in Bavaria the attempted coup, his trial, and the aftermath brought a great deal of prominence to the Nazi party as Hitler grew to fame outlining all the incompetence of the Weimer Republic at that time.
Reply 8
Original post by Phil2000

That's really interesting and I have often heard Hitler being compared to Mussolini! Thank-you though for increasing my understanding of the event. :smile:
Reply 9
Nah, I'm sitting it this year too haha; I just have a lot of space for history stuff in my brain

Fair enough, have you got any a* history tips?

Was it a response to the government withdrawing their passive resistance in the Ruhr or am I confused? Gosh, I need to start revising this.
no it's about the fact that the government decided to call for a general strike and them overprinting money despite the unstable economy (overprinting lead to money becoming worthless) and therefore prices of essential goods shot through the roof and people were unable to afford much to take care of their family/themselves. (there's a good point how eventually even one million marks(or w/e the currency was then) wasn't enough to buy one loaf of bread). The anger and despair of the german public could have influenced them to start supporting extremist groups like Hitler's
Original post by clumsyorange
Was it a response to the government withdrawing their passive resistance in the Ruhr or am I confused? Gosh, I need to start revising this.
Remember your structure for all the answers. (4 markers: 4 bullet points, 6 marker: 2 points explained, 8 marker: 3 paragraphs, 10 marker: intro, two paragraphs and a critical conclusion.) Preplan a little bit of your answer (but dont forget to cross it out if its on the exam paper) so you roughly know what youre talking about and can keep referring back to it. Go over unfamiliar topics that you've been procrastinating on haha (for me that's the Berlin Blockade v_v ) o

also chronology and dates, make a timeline of all the events so you dont forget them :smile:
Fair enough, have you got any a* history tips?
(edited 6 years ago)
no it's about the fact that the government decided to call for a general strike and them overprinting money despite the unstable economy (overprinting lead to money becoming worthless) and therefore prices of essential goods shot through the roof and people were unable to afford much to take care of their family/themselves. (there's a good point how eventually even one million marks(or w/e the currency was then) wasn't enough to buy one loaf of bread). The anger and despair of the german public could have influenced them to start supporting extremist groups like Hitler's

It is one reason.

image.png
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Remember your structure for all the answers. (4 markers: 4 bullet points, 6 marker: 2 points explained, 8 marker: 3 paragraphs, 10 marker: intro, two paragraphs and a critical conclusion.) Preplan a little bit of your answer (but dont forget to cross it out if its on the exam paper) so you roughly know what youre talking about and can keep referring back to it. Go over unfamiliar topics that you've been procrastinating on haha (for me that's the Berlin Blockade v_v ) o

also chronology and dates, make a timeline of all the events so you dont forget them :smile:

i'm so scared for history because i really want an a*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you doing IGCSE?
Reply 16
I'm heading out but drop me a PM and I will get back to you on this. :smile:
You'll do great! Think back on how much you know and the knowledge you've accumulated through the years, its not all for nothing. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest