The Student Room Group

BT apprenticeship scheme 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itzconnorx
What role/location have you applied for, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, earlier posts in this thread has details about the assessment day. :smile:

Thanks.

IT in Leeds
Reply 161
Thank you so much for taking the time out for this information it helped me greatly in my video interview
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 162
Original post by jadeyfletch
IT in Leeds

I also applied for a place in Leeds, got an assessment day on the 30th. Which role in IT have you applied for? I applied for the TSO Software degree apprenticeship.
Original post by Jyork94
I also applied for a place in Leeds, got an assessment day on the 30th. Which role in IT have you applied for? I applied for the TSO Software degree apprenticeship.

Business and Public Sector IT but on the 1st June
Reply 164
Would anyone mind explaining what happens at the assessment centre?
Thank you :tongue:
Reply 165
Original post by _J4ck_
Would anyone mind explaining what happens at the assessment centre?
Thank you :tongue:

Hi there,

Just literally got home after my assessment day.

Basically you get there and get a visitors pass from the reception. Then you wait about for everyone else and eventually get taken away by a member of staff.

You will then be shown where the bathrooms are and what to do incase of a fire ect.

You will then be taken to a area where you will be seated (for me we were taken to the cafeteria).

From there the assessment day truly begins. You may find (Depending on how many there are, for me there were around 10 of us) that you are taken away to do your interview (1 on 1) or presentation (1 or 2 on 1) or you will be taken away in a small group to do your group exercise. Other than that it is just sitting around and casual talk.

For me it was great and very fun. Sure you might be nervous at first (Heck even the assessors told me they were nervous) but trust me it is great fun and BT really looks like a great company to work for.

And that is really it. Nothing too different. Just be yourself and have fun, best piece of advice anyone can give you.
Reply 166
I applied for an apprenticeship in my area a couple of months back and have been getting the standard 'keep you updated' emails.
I've now been offered a place at an assessment centre but for a different apprenticeship, is this a common thing?
Reply 167
Original post by MagicR
I applied for an apprenticeship in my area a couple of months back and have been getting the standard 'keep you updated' emails.
I've now been offered a place at an assessment centre but for a different apprenticeship, is this a common thing?

I cant say for sure but what probably happened is that there are no vacancies for the apprenticeship you have applied for at your chosen location but they still want you to go to the assessment day.

You may find they have put you onto a similar apprenticeship, or it could simply be that they want you to come to the assessment day to see how you are and if they like you they might actually create a position at your chosen location for you/they might offer you a job at another location.

Just go to the assessment day and talk to them. Who knows, your application might be the best one they have ever seen and they really want to hire you :P
Original post by MagicR

Hey, I don't want to disappoint you but I kept getting these emails about 3 or 4 times. I then got an email saying they couldn't invite me to an assessment centre.

What role/location did you apply for?
Reply 169
Offered a spot for Radio and Rigging.
Just need to figure out what to a presentation on now!

Did anybody get any technical questions or exercises?
Reply 170
Original post by MagicR
Offered a spot for Radio and Rigging.
Just need to figure out what to a presentation on now!

Did anybody get any technical questions or exercises?

Got a phone call this morning saying I have been successful! Start in October. Thank god.

And no, I did not get asked any technical questions. As long as you meet the standard education requirements (Such as you need a B in Maths for the engineering apprenticeships) you should be ok.
Hey, Ive applied for HR too. But still waiting for my video interview results 😢😢
Original post by multiverser
HR in South Shields:smile:

Hey, ive applied for HR too but still waiting for vudeo interview results 😢😢😢
I passed a Video interview for Openreach trainee engineer based in liverpool in early March but still waiting to hear back about an assessment centre. Iv recieved 4 emails now saying 'we haven't forgotten about you' Praying I get the assessment!!
Original post by Clara725
Hey, ive applied for HR too but still waiting for vudeo interview results 😢😢😢

The recruitment process seems to be notoriously slow for all locations, but they do get in touch either way. Try and forget about it the best you can so the suspense doesn't eat away at you, but also Keep your head held high because you've done amazing by getting to the video interview stage. Think of how many thousands of applications they must get:smile: xx
Original post by multiverser
The recruitment process seems to be notoriously slow for all locations, but they do get in touch either way. Try and forget about it the best you can so the suspense doesn't eat away at you, but also Keep your head held high because you've done amazing by getting to the video interview stage. Think of how many thousands of applications they must get:smile: xx

😢😢😢 Honestly Ive been thinking about it all day today 😢😢😢 worst part is I havent heard anything at all, even an email saying they hventbforggoten abojt me etc. Like what other on here got 💔💔
Reply 176
Does anyone have any advice on the presentation.
How big/small scale an idea are they looking for?
What sort of tech do they expect you to reference and to what extent?
Reply 177
Original post by MagicR

Its not really a presentation, more of a discussion between you and 1 or 2 assessors.

As for the scale, it does not really matter. What they want is to get to know more about you. So choose something you are passionate about. It can be anything, really anything. It could be about how your favorite sport can be improved with the power of communication or how communication can help a certain group of people. Anything like that.

And they dont really expect you to know all the tech they use ect. Just remember to talk about how BT can help you. (My idea revolved around a website and so I mentioned that BT has the resources to host and create it). Also talk about what kind of people you would want to help you, people who maybe share similar views as you ect.

So all in all dont worry about it. It is just a casual chat and it was really fun for me. It was also probably the easiest part of the day. Just think of it like you are talking to a friend about an idea. It is recommended to make notes just to make sure you dont forget anything due to nerves ect.
Hi Guys

I have been invited to BT Apprenticeship Service Operations - Assessment Centre on 11th July Manchester

Can someone please tell me what to expect? What is the best way to prepare? etc.

Thanks
Original post by MagicR

When I did it I literally sat at a desk with one of the assessors in front of me so it really doesn't need to be that big. You only need to keep talking for a few minutes and then they'll ask you some generic questions off of a piece of paper.

Quick Reply

Latest