The Student Room Group

Help regarding applying to Uni!

ive been offered a part time job at 16 and they also do a course that i need/want so i dont need to go college but im really scared because my sister said go to a real college because ucas only have REAL certficates and they only accept it from sixth form or colleges. and my sister said that what if at the end when i get my qualification, its a fake one and you cant get into university! and if i ask them if it is real and genuine they will immediately say yes.

what can i do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by raindroptop
ive been offered a part time job at 16 and they also do a course that i need/want so i dont need to go college but im really scared because my sister said go to a real college because ucas only have REAL certficates and they only accept it from sixth form or colleges. and my sister said that what if at the end when i get my qualification, its a fake one and you cant get into university! and if i ask them if it is real and genuine they will immediately say yes.

what can i do?

Well what is the job and course, and what qualification are they offering?
Reply 2
Original post by Glassapple
Well what is the job and course, and what qualification are they offering?

caring for kids and the elderly. health and social care.
Reply 3
hello? anyone?
Reply 4

what can i do?

Sorry I was busy on another thread. You need to id the exact course and what qualification it is that you will get. Find out who the exam board is.

You can then verify whether its just a made up qualification or is actually recognised and official. It might be an NVQ, which you can do on the job.

If its University you want then official qualifications are what will be needed. BTECS and A levels or an Access course mostly.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Sorry I was busy on another thread. You need to id the exact course and what qualification it is that you will get. Find out who the exam board is.

You can then verify whether its just a made up qualification or is actually recognised and official. It might be an NVQ, which you can do on the job.

If its University you want then official qualifications are what will be needed. BTECS and A levels or an Access course mostly.

So it has to be like edexcel ocr and all those exam boards?
yeah im doing it for nursing in uni. im lost.

how do i found out if ucas accepts their exam board? because at college, their examination board is edexcel and i dont think the part time job does edexcel so idk?
So it has to be like edexcel ocr and all those exam boards?
yeah im doing it for nursing in uni. im lost.

how do i found out if ucas accepts their exam board? because at college, their examination board is edexcel and i dont think the part time job does edexcel so idk?

Normally what I would do is select the unis I was interested in and look at their admission requirements for nursing courses. They will have a selection of qualifications they will accept including A levels , Btec and Access.

You then need to make sure you have one of these sets of qualifications as anything else will not be accepted. You can then decide whether the course you go on will be any good or not. You havent told us what the qualification is (full title) plus whoever issues it (exam board) and what level it is.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/I-am/considering-or-university/studying-nursing
Reply 8
Normally what I would do is select the unis I was interested in and look at their admission requirements for nursing courses. They will have a selection of qualifications they will accept including A levels , Btec and Access.

You then need to make sure you have one of these sets of qualifications as anything else will not be accepted. You can then decide whether the course you go on will be any good or not. You havent told us what the qualification is (full title) plus whoever issues it (exam board) and what level it is.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/I-am/considering-or-university/studying-nursing

child nursing and the course the part time job offered is btec level 3 hsc.
i dont know which exam board they're doing. so i see.. they need pearson health and social c?
child nursing and the course the part time job offered is btec level 3 hsc.
i dont know which exam board they're doing. so i see.. they need pearson health and social c?

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-nationals/health-and-social-care-2016.html#tab-1

So you need to find out whether its just the certificate, extended cert, foundation diploma, diploma or extended diploma as they are worth different amounts and involve different amounts of work from 1-3 A levels equivalent.

The good thing is they are recognised qualification for nursing
, but you will need to ensure you have enough qualifications or you need to do more. i.e if you did the extended diploma that would be enough, but a btec on its own would only equal 1 A level so youd need to do additional.

So I just looked at Nursng for you and Leeds uni came up first it says

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF): Distinction/Distinction/Distinction in: Health and Social Care (Health Sciences); Health and Social Care (Health Studies).
All BTEC modules must be listed on your UCAS form or else your application will be rejected.

Sheffield Hallam

2017 entry requirements

You must have some experience of delivering care in a professional or voluntary capacity, and a reference from a current or recent employer or educational institution.
Normally five GCSEs at grade C or grade 4 or above, including English language or literature, mathematics and a science (single or double) or equivalent*, plus one of the following
112 UCAS points with at least 48 points from two A levels or equivalent BTEC National qualifications. We do not accept AS levels.

Southampton

QualificationGradeGCSE
GCSE Maths and English Language (A*-C or 4-9) or IELTS 7.0 (with no component below a 7). GCSE Science (A*-C or 4-9) also required if not offered as a level 3 qualification.
Certain GCSE equivalent qualifications will be considered.

BTEC
BTEC Extended Diploma Health & Social Care (D*DD).
BTEC Diploma and BTEC Subsidiary Diploma will be considered when offered in combination with other relevant qualifications.
Reply 10
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-nationals/health-and-social-care-2016.html#tab-1

So you need to find out whether its just the certificate, extended cert, foundation diploma, diploma or extended diploma as they are worth different amounts and involve different amounts of work from 1-3 A levels equivalent.

The good thing is they are recognised qualification for nursing
, but you will need to ensure you have enough qualifications or you need to do more. i.e if you did the extended diploma that would be enough, but a btec on its own would only equal 1 A level so youd need to do additional.

So I just looked at Nursng for you and Leeds uni came up first it says

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF): Distinction/Distinction/Distinction in: Health and Social Care (Health Sciences); Health and Social Care (Health Studies).
All BTEC modules must be listed on your UCAS form or else your application will be rejected.

Sheffield Hallam

2017 entry requirements

You must have some experience of delivering care in a professional or voluntary capacity, and a reference from a current or recent employer or educational institution.
Normally five GCSEs at grade C or grade 4 or above, including English language or literature, mathematics and a science (single or double) or equivalent*, plus one of the following
112 UCAS points with at least 48 points from two A levels or equivalent BTEC National qualifications. We do not accept AS levels.

Southampton

QualificationGradeGCSE
GCSE Maths and English Language (A*-C or 4-9) or IELTS 7.0 (with no component below a 7). GCSE Science (A*-C or 4-9) also required if not offered as a level 3 qualification.
Certain GCSE equivalent qualifications will be considered.

BTEC
BTEC Extended Diploma Health & Social Care (D*DD).
BTEC Diploma and BTEC Subsidiary Diploma will be considered when offered in combination with other relevant qualifications.

i need a uni in london

thanks a lot!!!! so let me get this straight, the qualification has to be from pearson? and yeah im hoping to do the extended diploma
i need a uni in london

thanks a lot!!!! so let me get this straight, the qualification has to be from pearson? and yeah im hoping to do the extended diploma

Pearson run the Heath and Social Care btec.

Southbank

BTEC National Diploma DMM

City

Child Nursing

BTEC - DDM (Health and Social Care or Science-related subject only).

In addition, the following is required:

GCSE: A minimum of five passes grade 4 (C) at GCSE, including English and Mathematics. Please note: we will not accept any equivalent qualification, only GCSEs. GCSE requirements for applicants studying an Access to HE Diploma are detailed below.

You are going to have to do some research or talk to a careers advisor.
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home
Reply 12
Pearson run the Heath and Social Care btec.

Southbank

BTEC National Diploma DMM

City

Child Nursing

BTEC - DDM (Health and Social Care or Science-related subject only).

In addition, the following is required:

GCSE: A minimum of five passes grade 4 (C) at GCSE, including English and Mathematics. Please note: we will not accept any equivalent qualification, only GCSEs. GCSE requirements for applicants studying an Access to HE Diploma are detailed below.

You are going to have to do some research or talk to a careers advisor.
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

thanks so much!
thanks so much!

You do understand if you wish to do nursing and you are using BTEC (Health and Social Care then you will need the extended Diploma and you will need at least DMM grades plus 5 GCSE's to gain entry to most nursing degrees?

You will also need to get work experience plus do an interview. If you have that it will allow you to make a competitive application.
Reply 14
You do understand if you wish to do nursing and you are using BTEC (Health and Social Care then you will need the extended Diploma and you will need at least DMM grades plus 5 GCSE's to gain entry to most nursing degrees?

You will also need to get work experience plus do an interview. If you have that it will allow you to make a competitive application.

Btec health and social care already provides work experience
Btec health and social care already provides work experience

Then if you meet the criteria you will be able to make a competitive application
Reply 16
Then if you meet the criteria you will be able to make a competitive application

people have said that doing just that means theres a much lower chance of getting into nursing and its better if i do an a level but i don't want to.
people have said that doing just that means theres a much lower chance of getting into nursing and its better if i do an a level but i don't want to.

You dont appear to listen to what I tell you.

Ive shown you that Southbank require DDM in an extended BTEC Diploma. They dont put that on their website for no reason.

RING THEM UP AND TALK TO THEM YOURSELF FOR PEACE OF MIND.

Contact information

Course Enquiries - UK/EU
Tel: 0800 923 8888
Reply 18
You dont appear to listen to what I tell you.

Ive shown you that Southbank require DDM in an extended BTEC Diploma. They dont put that on their website for no reason.

RING THEM UP AND TALK TO THEM YOURSELF FOR PEACE OF MIND.

Contact information

Course Enquiries - UK/EU
Tel: 0800 923 8888

Oh wow okay.....sorry:/
Oh wow okay.....sorry:/

You just need to talk to the people who control admissions and when you hear from them BTEC is ok you can stop worrying. DDM is what you need and that will require hard work plus your 5 GCSE's as well. Then you can ignore the other people or make your mind up f youd prefer A level.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest