The Student Room Group

My journey to AAA/ A*AA

I’ve recently seen these around and decided to create one to help motivate myself for my a levels :smile:

Currently aiming for AAA-A*AA :biggrin:

GCSEs: A*A*AAAAAAAAAB

Update 23/08:
AS results so far ^-^

EPQ: A
Maths: A (C1 - 100UMS, C2 - 82UMS, M1 - 98UMS)

Spoiler

AS predictions/ aiming for:

Spoiler

First year linear mocks:

Spoiler

Aiming for:

Maths (edexcel): A*
Physics (AQA): A
Chemistry (edexcel): A
EPQ (edexcel): a

Will update this with details of past papers etc :redface:

Past Papers:

Chemistry

Spoiler

Physics

Spoiler

Maths

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
University applications/ offers:

None yet :biggrin:

Hoping to study Computer Science :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
You can't get an A* at as level and to get an A* in maths you only need 90% ums in c3 and 4 and an A at as level. Also yeah physics is definitely harder than maths and chemistry, I feel you there bro.
Reply 3
Original post by black1blade
You can't get an A* at as level and to get an A* in maths you only need 90% ums in c3 and 4 and an A at as level. Also yeah physics is definitely harder than maths and chemistry, I feel you there bro.

Yeah, I'm just really setting my maths goals as preparation for next year and predicted grades :tongue: do you do chem and physics? I've been struggling with the new syllabus - trying to get my mind round it at the moment :smile:
Original post by Erdon
Yeah, I'm just really setting my maths goals as preparation for next year and predicted grades :tongue: do you do chem and physics? I've been struggling with the new syllabus - trying to get my mind round it at the moment :smile:

Yeah I'm doing ocr B for chemistry and edexcel for physics.
Reply 5
Yeah I'm doing ocr B for chemistry and edexcel for physics.

Ohh okay, have you got any exams this year/ doing the new/ old syllabus? If you have good luck with those :h: don't really know much about OCR as a board itself - i'm doing AQA/ Edexcel ^-^
Original post by Erdon
Ohh okay, have you got any exams this year/ doing the new/ old syllabus? If you have good luck with those :h: don't really know much about OCR as a board itself - i'm doing AQA/ Edexcel ^-^

Yeah my school is doing as-levels still although they don't count towards my a-level still.
Reply 7
Update 30/05-31/05

Spoiler

Aims for tomorrow:

- Chemistry practical write up homework (for Chemistry practical competence certificate)

- Two physics past papers (unit 1/ unit 2) after revising particle physics :biggrin:

- Learn a couple of chemistry definitions

- Work on my personal statement :smile:
Reply 8
Yeah my school is doing as-levels still although they don't count towards my a-level still.

Ohh okay, I guess it's good for the experience :smile: our internal exams were the equivalent- although we have another chance to improve our grades if we need it ^-^
Nice gl. Lucky you're still in old-spec for maths. Past paper galore so is the easiest A* if you put in the work :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by pereira325
Nice gl. Lucky you're still in old-spec for maths. Past paper galore so is the easiest A* if you put in the work :biggrin:

Thanks! :biggrin: yeah, pretty relieved about that hearing about the new GCSEs - going to try and do as many past papers as possible (especially when I get to c3/4)

Do you study maths? :smile:
Original post by Erdon
Thanks! :biggrin: yeah, pretty relieved about that hearing about the new GCSEs - going to try and do as many past papers as possible (especially when I get to c3/4)

Do you study maths? :smile:

Yes. Currently doing A2 maths- C3, C4 and M2.
Did AS and AS further last year - C1,C2,M1 and FP1,S1,S2. Ended up with an A and B overall.
Mechanics is a module I'm still not perfect at though!

I've planned out how many more past papers I need to do before the exams (it's a lot), like below. Good to be organised :biggrin:
Sneak peak below

Third column is how many days till exam, the far right is how many more hours I predict I'll need to spend to complete all what I plan/hope to do.
Reply 12
Yes. Currently doing A2 maths- C3, C4 and M2.
Did AS and AS further last year - C1,C2,M1 and FP1,S1,S2. Ended up with an A and B overall.
Mechanics is a module I'm still not perfect at though!

I've planned out how many more past papers I need to do before the exams (it's a lot), like below. Good to be organised :biggrin:
Sneak peak below

Third column is how many days till exam, the far right is how many more hours I predict I'll need to spend to complete all what I plan/hope to do.

Oh wow - looks like you're very on top of things! :biggrin: How far ahead of the exams did you start doing past papers? :smile:

Good luck in those exams, looks like you deserve to do well! :smile:
Yeah I've done my past paper table now for my a2 maths. Well I've done p much all the past paper but using mostly Solomon so I do 1 paper a day 2 weeks before each exam.
Original post by Erdon
Oh wow - looks like you're very on top of things! :biggrin: How far ahead of the exams did you start doing past papers? :smile:

Good luck in those exams, looks like you deserve to do well! :smile:

Cheers. First one I did was in January and that was for C3. To be fair I'm actually less on top of things than it may seem. Atleast I know what I need to do, even though there is a lot left :biggrin: Direction is key to have eh :smile:
Certainly I do get more confident in my maths ability the more papers I do. Kind of becomes funner too!? haha.

Yeah I've done my past paper table now for my a2 maths. Well I've done p much all the past paper but using mostly Solomon so I do 1 paper a day 2 weeks before each exam.

Nice that's a good technique. Will keep all of the modules fresh for ya
Reply 15
Update 01/05-02/05

Spoiler

Aims for 03/05-04/05:

- At least one M1 Solomon paper
- Chem homework (a write up)
- A chemistry past paper
- Watch YouTube video(s) on physics projectiles

Also possibly getting a diagnosis tomorrow (for AD(H)D) so I'm really hoping something will be done to help with that :biggrin:
Reply 16

Good luck! When are your exams? :smile:

Cheers. First one I did was in January and that was for C3. To be fair I'm actually less on top of things than it may seem. Atleast I know what I need to do, even though there is a lot left :biggrin: Direction is key to have eh :smile:
Certainly I do get more confident in my maths ability the more papers I do. Kind of becomes funner too!? haha.

Nice that's a good technique. Will keep all of the modules fresh for ya

Yeah - c1 was more fun as I got to know it better 😂 Are you aiming for an A or A* at A2? :smile:
Original post by Erdon
Good luck! When are your exams? :smile:

Yeah - c1 was more fun as I got to know it better 😂 Are you aiming for an A or A* at A2? :smile:

Half way into science and I also have a2 maths in a couple weeks.
Original post by Erdon

Dunno, both are on the table and I'd be pleased with an A but an A* would of course be awesome.

Quick Reply