The Student Room Group

Switching degree courses in between second and third year

I'm currently in my second year in a Physics degree in University of Leeds. Unfortunately it's taken me this long to realise where my lack of motivation to apply myself to this degree stems from, I'm really not that into it! In all honesty I feel like the only reason I picked it is because of how great the career prospects are on paper. I have just taken my end of year 2 exams and am not confident at all about marks and I'm supposed to be sitting my January exams in august since i broke my wrist over Christmas 2016.

I am seriously considering changing degree courses to something in Philosophy or Psychology because it's much more streamlined to my interests.

I wanted to know how difficult it's been for people in the past to do this and start over on a new degree and if anyone's got any stories of people they know who have gone through a similar process and how difficult it was for them.

Cheers, Luis Dorn
They only give out student loans for up to 4 years, so if after your first year you want to change course and start again you can do that but after your second your pretty stuck. I know some universities let you sort of go from one subject in one year to another in another year e.g you could start off with a history degree and end up with a politics degree. ask if you can do that or even just switch to a joint honours.
Reply 2
Original post by Garlicked
They only give out student loans for up to 4 years, so if after your first year you want to change course and start again you can do that but after your second your pretty stuck. I know some universities let you sort of go from one subject in one year to another in another year e.g you could start off with a history degree and end up with a politics degree. ask if you can do that or even just switch to a joint honours.

What would be the difference in switching to a joint honours course?
Original post by NotLuis
I'm currently in my second year in a Physics degree in University of Leeds. Unfortunately it's taken me this long to realise where my lack of motivation to apply myself to this degree stems from, I'm really not that into it! In all honesty I feel like the only reason I picked it is because of how great the career prospects are on paper. I have just taken my end of year 2 exams and am not confident at all about marks and I'm supposed to be sitting my January exams in august since i broke my wrist over Christmas 2016.

I am seriously considering changing degree courses to something in Philosophy or Psychology because it's much more streamlined to my interests.

I wanted to know how difficult it's been for people in the past to do this and start over on a new degree and if anyone's got any stories of people they know who have gone through a similar process and how difficult it was for them.

Cheers, Luis Dorn

Plenty of people change at the end of their first year, but it's unusual to change after the end of the second. The main reason for this, as has been alluded to, is funding - was your original degree 3 or 4 years? The likelihood is that you will be a year short of funding (3 years for original degree +1 'gift' year, - 2 years already taken, -3 years of 'new' degree = -1) - you'd have to self fund the first year of your new course.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
Plenty of people change at the end of their first year, but it's unusual to change after the end of the second. The main reason for this, as has been alluded to, is funding - was your original degree 3 or 4 years? The likelihood is that you will be a year short of funding (3 years for original degree +1 'gift' year, - 2 years already taken, -3 years of 'new' degree = -1) - you'd have to self fund the first year of your new course.

Thanks for the reply, the degree I'm currently on is a 3 year Physics with Astrophysics course.

You say I would have to self fund my first year, so would that be the £9,000 tuition fees??? There's no chance in hell i'm going to be able to fund that.

((guess i'm voting corbyn))
Original post by NotLuis

Cheers, Luis Dorn

What reality check pointed out that you have a funding issue. the time to move is the end of year 1 as now you are at degree-1 and they will expect you to self fund year 1. Do you have a spare £10 lying around? You can ask your uni if they will let you change it into a joint and that is up to them.
Original post by NotLuis
Thanks for the reply, the degree I'm currently on is a 3 year Physics with Astrophysics course.

You say I would have to self fund my first year, so would that be the £9,000 tuition fees??? There's no chance in hell i'm going to be able to fund that.

It'll probably be £9,250 by that time - and not just self-funding that: you wouldn't be entitled to any maintenance loans/grants or help from your university's funds as a self-funded student. So you'd be looking at needing abut £21,000 in total to fund the year. Of course, only SFE can actually tell you exactly what your position is with regards to funding, but on the information you've given here, you're one year of funding short and no compelling personal reasons or anything to gain that year back.

I think the previous suggestion of seeing whether you could combine your final year's study of physics with something more to your liking is possible - though I suspect this probably isn't possible for just the final year. Have you spoken to your tutor/course leader about any of this?
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
What reality check pointed out that you have a funding issue. the time to move is the end of year 1 as now you are at degree-1 and they will expect you to self fund year 1. Do you have a spare £10 lying around? You can ask your uni if they will let you change it into a joint and that is up to them.

Cheers for the reply, I might have a tenner but im not sure about 9 big ones.

What would be the difference in degree if I were to change it to a joint honours? I'm not very clued up on the different types of degree.
Reply 8
It'll probably be £9,250 by that time - and not just self-funding that: you wouldn't be entitled to any maintenance loans/grants or help from your university's funds as a self-funded student. So you'd be looking at needing abut £21,000 in total to fund the year. Of course, only SFE can actually tell you exactly what your position is with regards to funding, but on the information you've given here, you're one year of funding short and no compelling personal reasons or anything to gain that year back.

I think the previous suggestion of seeing whether you could combine your final year's study of physics with something more to your liking is possible - though I suspect this probably isn't possible for just the final year. Have you spoken to your tutor/course leader about any of this?

I'm having a meeting with my personal tutor tomorrow and I'm dropping into the careers centre today to see if I can talk to someone about it.
The meeting with my tutor was originally going to be about possibly resitting second year but I've had a revelation in the last week or so that I might not be doing what I want to be doing.
Original post by NotLuis
Cheers for the reply, I might have a tenner but im not sure about 9 big ones.

What would be the difference in degree if I were to change it to a joint honours? I'm not very clued up on the different types of degree.

You would have to convince a uni to let you do one and that it was physics + whatever else you chose. Some unis are more flexible and have a more extensive joint honours program than others Maybe lok up and see who is in charge from the website plus you will also need to speak to your tutor and the intended department..

It might not be possible. Your best chance would be with your current uni.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
You would have to convince a uni to let you do one and that it was physics + whatever else you chose. Some unis are more flexible and have a more extensive joint honours program than others Maybe lok up and see who is in charge from the website plus you will also need to speak to your tutor and the intended department..

It might not be possible. Your best chance would be with your current uni.

I've had a phonecall with the Philosopy department at leeds and there might be a possibility of moving to a Joint Honours in Physics and Philosophy, thanks for the advice!
Original post by NotLuis
I've had a phonecall with the Philosopy department at leeds and there might be a possibility of moving to a Joint Honours in Physics and Philosophy, thanks for the advice!

You mentioned that you chose to do a physics degree due to the career opportunities it would give you on paper? Are you still interested in a physics-related career path? If not, do you know what you'd like to do?

I'm saying this because unless your chosen career requires a pysch / phil degree, then I'd personally persevere with your current degree (even if second year results aren't good, you still have third year to make it up), and continue pursuing philosophy as a side interest. This will be better for your finances, and will enable you to avoid having to explain to future interviewers why you finished two years of a degree and then later changed your mind.

However, if you definitely want to go into something pysch/phil related, then it may be worth switching. Would definitely get more opinions from your departmental staff and careers team.
Original post by NotLuis

Self funded students due to previous study are eligible for a maintenance loan.

It's possible in some cases to negotiate a fee waiver or bursary support and a repayment package for the unfunded tuition fees that can make it manageable (and of course if the fees are scrapped then that changes things considerably....). SFE always front load unfunded years - so if you restart on a new course after 2 years previous study then it would be the first year that would be unfunded.

Another alternative route would be to withdraw from your current course, get an early exit award (Diploma of Higher Education, DipHE - equivalent to an HND or a FdSc) so you've got something to show for your time on your CV. Then study your new subject with Open University up to the equivalent of the first year (120 credits/HNC equivalent) while working to cover your living costs. Part time study will attract tuition fee loans for a lot longer and part time study without a qualification awarded doesn't count against your previous study if you go back to full time study.

You could then (assuming you took the right OU modules) take your OU credits and apply for entry onto 2nd year of a new degree and get full funding for 2nd and 3rd year and be awarded a degree from your new university.

The OU route takes a bit longer (ie you're likely to take 2 years to cover the first year content instead of 1) but would be more affordable in many cases that switching to a new full time degree from yr 1.
Original post by PQ
Self funded students due to previous study are eligible for a maintenance loan.

Thanks for that. Does that apply to all self-funded students, i.e. ELQ self-funders?
Thanks for that. Does that apply to all self-funded students, i.e. ELQ self-funders?

No - ELQ is different and gets zero support (unless on specific degree courses). It's only previous study rules that give you students with no tuition loan but maintenance loan.

https://www.westminster.ac.uk/study/prospective-students/fees-and-funding/undergraduate-student-funding/previous-studies is a good summary
Original post by NotLuis
What would be the difference in switching to a joint honours course?

well instead of doing just physics which you hate, you could do physics and something else which you might hate less.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending