The Student Room Group

SAT Subject Tests

Hi all,

I hope to take the SAT Subject Tests. For GCSE, I have taken Maths, English Language, English Literature, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, French, Business, History, RE, Statistics and ICT. Are there are any specific SAT Subject Tests that have a similar content to that of any of my GCSEs?

Another thing, I hope to major in Economics at an American college. Are there any specific SAT Subject Tests that would look good on my college application?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Take a look at the CollegeBoard website and look at the subject tests offered. There's also the list of things tested in each exam, so you can see how much you might have to teach yourself.

Maths is good for Econ. Take level 2 if you can.
Original post by feyy
Take a look at the CollegeBoard website and look at the subject tests offered. There's also the list of things tested in each exam, so you can see how much you might have to teach yourself.

Maths is good for Econ. Take level 2 if you can.

Okay thanks! Will A levels help in any of this?
Reply 3
For languages, definitely. You'd definitely have to check to see what is on each test and whether they match up with the AS syllabus though.
Original post by feyy
For languages, definitely. You'd definitely have to check to see what is on each test and whether they match up with the AS syllabus though.

Alright, thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by londoncricket
Hi all,

I hope to take the SAT Subject Tests. For GCSE, I have taken Maths, English Language, English Literature, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, French, Business, History, RE, Statistics and ICT. Are there are any specific SAT Subject Tests that have a similar content to that of any of my GCSEs?

Another thing, I hope to major in Economics at an American college. Are there any specific SAT Subject Tests that would look good on my college application?

Thanks!

If your applying as a economics major take maths level 2 and another subject of your choice. I'm doing my IGCSE this year and plan to take biology/chemistry/maths level 2. I have the biology and maths level 2 books and all I can say is that the content is much more than anything we've learn't so far. It similar to AS level so if you are willing to self study most of the content you can take the exams in October/November of Year 12. I'm only going to do that for biology because it's essentially just memorisation.

PS: I recommend you get the barrons books for maths/sciences as they're great!
Original post by pbunny
If your applying as a economics major take maths level 2 and another subject of your choice. I'm doing my IGCSE this year and plan to take biology/chemistry/maths level 2. I have the biology and maths level 2 books and all I can say is that the content is much more than anything we've learn't so far. It similar to AS level so if you are willing to self study most of the content you can take the exams in October/November of Year 12. I'm only going to do that for biology because it's essentially just memorisation.

PS: I recommend you get the barrons books for maths/sciences as they're great!

May I ask how much in advance do you recommend studying for the subject tests to get 800. Would November and December be enough time?
Reply 7
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
May I ask how much in advance do you recommend studying for the subject tests to get 800. Would November and December be enough time?

That depends on how much you already know. For history and the sciences you'd probably have quite a bit to self study which takes a while. Maths Level 1 is a joke and would honestly only require practice, Level 2 may require you to recap somethings depending on your current level of maths.

Best thing to do is to take the diagnoses tests at the start of the review books so that you can pinpoint how much you know and what topics you need to learn/review. Depending on the book, you may score significantly lower than a 800 but still get an 800 in the real thing because the practice tests are much harder (I'm talking about barrons). Usually low/mid 700s on the practice tests in barrons review books will warrant you an 800 if you know all the material sufficiently. If you prefer an accurate representation of your current level order the SAT II subject tests book by collegeboard - it contains several official practice tests.

When are you intending on taking the tests? I'd say studying hard core for a week is more than enough if you've completely AS and have done well as it's essentially AS/GCSE material.
Reply 8
im confused. Do sat subjects tests still have negative marking?like the new SAT 1 does not.
im doing the exam on 3rd june and really need to know but cannot get info on this anywhere.
Original post by Bliss_
im confused. Do sat subjects tests still have negative marking?like the new SAT 1 does not.
im doing the exam on 3rd june and really need to know but cannot get info on this anywhere.

Yes they have negative marking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by wolfmoon88
Yes they have negative marking

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you so much! and please could you tell me how biology e/m works?
if i solved both how do i calculate the raw score? and whether or not i have to solve both if i am trying to get into med school.
Original post by Bliss_
thank you so much! and please could you tell me how biology e/m works?
if i solved both how do i calculate the raw score? and whether or not i have to solve both if i am trying to get into med school.

In SAT 2, for every answer you get wrong you lose an additional 1/4 marks (get one wrong and you lose 1 +1/4 points). For every answer you leave blank you lose no additional marks (leave one blank and you lose one point)

For Biology E/M, the first 60 questions are the core questions and the last 20 are speciality questions (E or M). E is more focused on ecology and M is more focused on the molecular portion. - I took E

While you might be tempted to choose M because it seems like it is easier to get higher marks according to percentile charts, I implore you to choose the one that you are more comfortable with (for pre-med (unless you are US system applying to places with undergrad med) usually M is more looked favourably on but a high score is the most important. - No, you don't have to take both tests, I think they would prefer if you take another science subject (like physics compared to doing another SAT II Biology exam). Chemistry is something that I would recommend all prospective premed/med students take as a SAT II if it is required.

For raw score calculation, I used this chart to calculate it, I am not sure if it is completely accurate though: http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/biology/chapter2section6.rhtml

I hope this helps and good luck
Generally they will be broadly equivalent to the AS level of that subject; Math 2 might have some AS FM topics (complex numbers and/or matrices? or is that ACT only? I forget), and US History is 100% off limits. It's done in a very specific way and if you haven't taken US history in a US education system, you will do poorly. They don't really care what you choose usually; MIT requires Math and a science iirc, and many will offer credit/placement/exemption from language courses/requirements for relevant language subject tests with a minimum score (this is not true of any other subject test, in general).

Also as noted they have negative marking, so be careful. You should definitely try and get some study resources for SAT exams (either the SAT 1/ main SAT or subject tests/SAT 2s) to get used to the style, as it's quite different to how UK things are examined. In particular, I found the maths questions on the main SAT really weird compared to the GCSE maths (and beyond) that we did. Very odd wordy questions. If it's available as a subject test, you should take the writing test. This used to be required by most top schools, then was added into the main test, then taken out; I'm not sure if it's a separate subject test now or if it's just gone completely. GCSE English Language and Lit is sufficient for both the writing (if applicable) and critical reading on the main SAT, although any additional experience in essay subjects at GCSE or beyond is obviously helpful. Maths on the main one is GCSE level, but as noted weirdly questioned.
Original post by artful_lounger
Generally they will be broadly equivalent to the AS level of that subject; Math 2 might have some AS FM topics (complex numbers and/or matrices? or is that ACT only? I forget), and US History is 100% off limits. It's done in a very specific way and if you haven't taken US history in a US education system, you will do poorly. They don't really care what you choose usually; MIT requires Math and a science iirc, and many will offer credit/placement/exemption from language courses/requirements for relevant language subject tests with a minimum score (this is not true of any other subject test, in general).

Also as noted they have negative marking, so be careful. You should definitely try and get some study resources for SAT exams (either the SAT 1/ main SAT or subject tests/SAT 2s) to get used to the style, as it's quite different to how UK things are examined. In particular, I found the maths questions on the main SAT really weird compared to the GCSE maths (and beyond) that we did. Very odd wordy questions. If it's available as a subject test, you should take the writing test. This used to be required by most top schools, then was added into the main test, then taken out; I'm not sure if it's a separate subject test now or if it's just gone completely. GCSE English Language and Lit is sufficient for both the writing (if applicable) and critical reading on the main SAT, although any additional experience in essay subjects at GCSE or beyond is obviously helpful. Maths on the main one is GCSE level, but as noted weirdly questioned.

US History was good :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending