The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Very good, in my opinion. Warwick, the town itself, is rather nice too.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
No anti-Milo riots. 0/10 would apply.
Original post by Dodgypirate

If the university were in Warwick that'd be ideal, then.
Absolutely incredible for things like economics. For other subjects is still very good, but if the set up (i.e. campus) is enough of a deterrent for you then it doesn't have much more than other good Russel groups uni's in my opinion. Socially, sounds like great fun but for some not wild enough and for others too contained - all relative to who you are as a person and what you want from your uni experience
Original post by kangsterf

Warwick's an odd one. If you look at the universities founded together in the early to middle '60s, Warwick is the ugly duckling: Brighton, Bath, Canterbury, York... these are towns in which people will choose to spend a wedding anniversary long weekend. Warwick is in Coventry.

Plainly there has been some shrewd management, but I think a part of what has happened is only dumb luck. While Canterbury was hoovering up posh girls for Art History and Sussex hippies and York was on its enjoyably preposterous bid to be the 'plateglass Oxbridge', Warwick recognised that it had to find a more basic appeal, and found that in mathematical sciences and business studies. No-one could then have predicted the enormous expansion of the international market in teaching and research and how this would bear on university fortunes. But when it came, it was revealed that Business and Maths were what the Chinese and Arabs wanted, and Art History rather was not. And from there the Matthew Principle.

Long and short? Warwick is Reading University with the Imperial maths department and Cass business school bolted-on. And also a standout department of Film (why?). If you're doing any of these it might be worth living in CV4 but I would otherwise prefer to be in e.g. Edinburgh, Exeter or even Durham.
Reply 6
Top Russell Group uni
Ranked 4th for Politics (complete university guide 2017)
Ranked 3rd in Economics after Oxbridge (complete university guide 2017)
Has constantly maintained its position as one of the top 10 unis in the UK
I like it :smile: As someone pointed out Coventry is not that great but Leamington and Warwick are lovely. Plenty of night life if you need it as well. To be honest you never really need to leave the campus. We have everything you would need. GP surgery, shops (including a massive Tesco), banks, hairdressers, cinema, pharmacy etc.

In regards to league tables, it is the only university in the country that has never been outside of the top 10 with the exception of Oxbridge.
Reply 8
Original post by cambio wechsel
Warwick's an odd one. If you look at the universities founded together in the early to middle '60s, Warwick is the ugly duckling: Brighton, Bath, Canterbury, York... these are towns in which people will choose to spend a wedding anniversary long weekend. Warwick is in Coventry.

Plainly there has been some shrewd management, but I think a part of what has happened is only dumb luck. While Canterbury was hoovering up posh girls for Art History and Sussex hippies and York was on its enjoyably preposterous bid to be the 'plateglass Oxbridge', Warwick recognised that it had to find a more basic appeal, and found that in mathematical sciences and business studies. No-one could then have predicted the enormous expansion of the international market in teaching and research and how this would bear on university fortunes. But when it came, it was revealed that Business and Maths were what the Chinese and Arabs wanted, and Art History rather was not. And from there the Matthew Principle.

Long and short? Warwick is Reading University with the Imperial maths department and Cass business school bolted-on. And also a standout department of Film (why?). If you're doing any of these it might be worth living in CV4 but I would otherwise prefer to be in e.g. Edinburgh, Exeter or even Durham.

Not really, it is above reading/exeter etc in several other subjects like law/history too. And maybe arts, life sciences? And for some less known subjects/fields like food science ( according to REF2014 it beats Edinburgh and even Cambridge in that one) . I would say it is a manchester/edinburgh or a kcl + all these you said.
Warwick is superb. Arguably top 5, easily top ten. I love it here. Such a fantastic uni.
Depends on the subject: Economics, Maths and WBS, it certainly is up at the top 5 no question, the other departments are just pretty decent as Russel Groups go but the gap is quite stark. It certainly isn't the next Oxbridge, but if you belong to one of those departments, you pretty much are Oxbridge level (COWI for Mathematics for instance, where only Cambridge stands out a bit above the other 3).
Reply 11
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Depends on the subject: Economics, Maths and WBS, it certainly is up at the top 5 no question, the other departments are just pretty decent as Russel Groups go but the gap is quite stark. It certainly isn't the next Oxbridge, but if you belong to one of those departments, you pretty much are Oxbridge level (COWI for Mathematics for instance, where only Cambridge stands out a bit above the other 3).

Well it might be in the far future, who knows. If they keep up the good work they might reach ucl or even icl in the next 30-50 years in overal rep.
Reply 12
Original post by Jai Sandhu

Hello! what about WMG? and postgraduate study? , I got uncond for Msc Manufacturing system eng and management.. And comparing to shefield which is better for postgraduate courses? thank you in advance
Reply 13
Original post by TitanCream
Warwick is superb. Arguably top 5, easily top ten. I love it here. Such a fantastic uni.

Hello! what about WMG? and postgraduate study? , I got uncond for Msc Manufacturing system eng and management.. And comparing to shefield which is better for postgraduate courses? thank you in advance
Reply 14
Original post by Hamdi26

Warwick. Albeit for engineering you might look into bath?
Original post by Dodgypirate

warwick university is not in the town of warwick.
Reply 16
Original post by Beerus
Warwick. Albeit for engineering you might look into bath?

Thank you.... at bath there is no the course i need...
Original post by Hamdi26

Postgrads is a tricky one for me to answer. I'm not sure, I think you would need to really look into that.

The WMG is really really good....
Reply 18
Original post by Hamdi26
Thank you.... at bath there is no the course i need...

You are welcome :smile:
Well as far as overall rep/quality and prospects (at least in the uk) i believe Warwick is the next big thing after oxbridge and ICL/LSE. On par with Edinburgh, kcl and maaybe ucl. Then comes Durham Bristol Manchester. (Warwick belongs here if we talk about international prospects) And after these is Sheffield, Nottingham, Glascow, Exeter, Birmingham etc. But for postgrad the overall differences are not that huge. Better select the course you like more. If you like Sheffield more, go there. If you go to at least a top 15ish well connected UK Uni it is worth it. (Sheffield is one)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Beerus
You are welcome :smile:
Well as far as overall rep/quality and prospects (at least in the uk) i believe Warwick is the next big thing after oxbridge and ICL/LSE. On par with Edinburgh, kcl and maaybe ucl. Then comes Durham Bristol Manchester. (Warwick belongs here if we talk about international prospects) And after these is Sheffield, Nottingham, Glascow, Exeter, Birmingham etc. But fot postgrad the overall differences are not that huge. Better select the course you like more. If you like Sheffield more, go there. If you go to at least a top 15ish well connected UK Uni it is worth it. (Sheffield is one)

I appreciate this. Really thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending