The Student Room Group

Article: Can you eat well on £10 a week?

Well can you?

From pancakes to aubergine curry, have read to see what two UEA students cooked up.

What are some of your penny pinching cooking tips? How much do you typically spend on food per week?
Reply 1

I believe anyone can eat well and healthily for £1 a day (minus the fuel charges for cooking) gaining all the required vitamins/nutrients et al.
A very sad lack of meat.

You can plenty of meat free thanks to bounty of the countryside.
Reply 3
Original post by Meany Pie
A very sad lack of meat.

You can plenty of meat free thanks to bounty of the countryside.

Nothing wrong with either...

1. Being a Vegetarian

2. Road kill or 'kill your own' which is a bit like 'pick your own' with fruit but requires a little more steel and effort...
I used to do it as an undergrad (2009-2012), now I still shop as economically as possible, but I have a larger income. Shopped at Aldi or Lidl, or Tesco/ Sainsbury's basics range; if you compare the ingredients and their ratios for supermarket range stuff and more expensive branded stuff, a lot of the time what your actually paying more for is the nicer packaging and brand. It's often also cheaper to buy loose fruit and veg - and that way you can get as much or little as you need so you're not overbuying, and you don't waste food. If you're saavy - especially in the reduced section, you can get decent but going-out-of-date bread, meat, etc. very cheaply, and then put them in the freezer the same day, and defrost and use as required.

Cook from scratch, and in bulk (tupperware and the freezer are your friends). Cooking from scratch is healthier too.
Original post by Drez999
Nothing wrong with either...

1. Being a Vegetarian

2. Road kill or 'kill your own' which is a bit like 'pick your own' with fruit but requires a little more steel and effort...

1. If they like it then crack on

2.Kill your own, better selection. Less effort, you can do it from the comfort of a deck chair
Ignoring the lack of meat:

That sounds a bit boring to me! I have a friend who did "Living below the line" (I think) challenge where you live on £1 a day. She went to the supermarket a lot and bought a lot of foods from the reduced section and cooked things from scratch. Some of the things she cooked were quite interesting.
Reply 7
Original post by Find_elsewhere
I used to do it as an undergrad (2009-2012), now I still shop as economically as possible, but I have a larger income. Shopped at Aldi or Lidl, or Tesco/ Sainsbury's basics range; if you compare the ingredients and their ratios for supermarket range stuff and more expensive branded stuff, a lot of the time what your actually paying more for is the nicer packaging and brand. It's often also cheaper to buy loose fruit and veg - and that way you can get as much or little as you need so you're not overbuying, and you don't waste food. If you're saavy - especially in the reduced section, you can get decent but going-out-of-date bread, meat, etc. very cheaply, and then put them in the freezer the same day, and defrost and use as required.

Cook from scratch, and in bulk (tupperware and the freezer are your friends). Cooking from scratch is healthier too.

Wow!

I could have written that!

KUDOS amigo...:biggrin:

One thing I would add is that buying vegetables from a local market can be cheaper than in any supermarket and reduce our carbon/diesel footprint...

Quick Reply

Latest