Does Perfect Competition always result in an efficient allocation of resources?

Watch
Deavk006
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

Could someone help me out, here is the essay question below -

"Critically assess the proposition that perfect competition will always result in an effi cient allocation of resources, no matter what good or service is being produced and consumed?"
mrbr2671999
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Deavk006)
Hi,

Could someone help me out, here is the essay question below -

"Critically assess the proposition that perfect competition will always result in an effi cient allocation of resources, no matter what good or service is being produced and consumed?"
It achieves allocative efficiency because in the SR and LR as MC=AR.

It achieves productive efficiency in the LR as MC=AC.

In the long run they will be dynamically efficient because they will be producing at the lowest cost to remain competitive and make normal profit.

Therefore in the long run perfect competition is always efficient.
AlexS101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mrbr2671999)
It achieves allocative efficiency because in the SR and LR as MC=AR.

It achieves productive efficiency in the LR as MC=AC.

In the long run they will be dynamically efficient because they will be producing at the lowest cost to remain competitive and make normal profit.

Therefore in the long run perfect competition is always efficient.
Not likely to be dynamically efficient (at the a level definition) as there is no motivation for companies to innovate, due to unavailability of protectionism and perfect information meaning other companies could quickly copy.
mrbr2671999
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AlexS101)
Not likely to be dynamically efficient (at the a level definition) as there is no motivation for companies to innovate, due to unavailability of protectionism and perfect information meaning other companies could quickly copy.
Yeah I agree there actually. If it was in your essay maybe you could counterbalance that it depends how far in the long run. The greater the time in the market the less dynamically efficient you'll be.
Deavk006
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Brilliant thats great!, any more disadvantages other than a lack of dynamic efficiency + innovation/invention?
tommartin29
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Deavk006)
Brilliant thats great!, any more disadvantages other than a lack of dynamic efficiency + innovation/invention?
You could mention that due to perfect competition having a lot of firms(and the existence of no barriers to entry) implies there will be no economies of scale - and so although firms may be efficient they may be producing at a higher price than would be possible in a more concentrated market.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (28)
15.91%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (56)
31.82%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (20)
11.36%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
9.09%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (8)
4.55%
I think it's an unfair expectation (45)
25.57%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.7%

Watched Threads