The Student Room Group

Fp2 series confusion

I don't understand when to use the maclaurins/Taylor series and when to use the series with the differentials when x=0. They don't always say which series to use and sometimes just say in the question use series to find the expansion for something. Can someone tell me a general rule of when to use maclaurins/Taylor and when to use the differential series. I know you use the latter when f (x) doesn't 'expand' but it's not always obvious e.g. e^tanx I would've done e^sinx/cosx but the mark scheme uses the differential expansion with x=0
Original post by Carman3
I don't understand when to use the maclaurins/Taylor series and when to use the series with the differentials when x=0. They don't always say which series to use and sometimes just say in the question use series to find the expansion for something. Can someone tell me a general rule of when to use maclaurins/Taylor and when to use the differential series. I know you use the latter when f (x) doesn't 'expand' but it's not always obvious e.g. e^tanx I would've done e^sinx/cosx but the mark scheme uses the differential expansion with x=0

Maclaurin's expansion is the same expansion as Taylor's except it's not as general and it is always about x=0x=0. They're essentially the same thing.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Maclaurin's expansion is the same expansion as Taylor's except it's not as general and it is always about x=0x=0. They're essentially the same thing.

I guess I should ve worded it better, I get the difference between maclaurins and Taylor but the last series in the book which talks about diffetentials when x =0 which is from page 118 onwards, I don't know when to use that and when to use maclaurins. So for a question like expand e^tanx I wouldve split it into e^sinx/cosx and used maclaurins on that but the mark scheme shows them using the last series from the book on that question
Original post by Carman3
but the last series in the book which talks about diffetentials when x =0 which is from page 118 onwards,

That IS Maclaurin's expansion though...
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
That IS Maclaurin's expansion though...

Oh I see. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest