The Student Room Group

Cancer warning on sunglasses.

I've never owned a pair of sunglasses as I've always thought they accentuate my already somewhat large nose. However, lately I haven't been able to bear squinting anymore and my eyes have started to hurt under strong light so I finally found a pair of shades that I don't hate on myself.

The only issue I have with the is the warning label which I noticed after purchase:

"This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm".

If they were unsafe, surely they wouldn't be allowed to sell them? I'm not sure if I should just return them and carry on squinting in the sun for the mean time.

Edit:
I don't know if this is relevant but the brand is Oscar De La Renta, although I purchased them from TK Maxx. I would have thought a reputable brand would at least produce good-quality products that don't contain cancer-causing chemicals.
(edited 6 years ago)
Pretty sure that's a blanket warning, that is to say if a chemicals were used that could cause reproductive harm, they'd still include the full warning. You're also missing how big the risk is or how you'd be exposed to these risks.

You'd be better off contacting the manufacturer and seeing what they say rather than taking a blanket warning at face value. It's also worth noting that a warning label like this isn't needed outside of California... The product, being sold in the UK, will meet CE standards, and likely meets the US' FDA standards.

I mean, I'd just like to point out California laws also require similar warnings for:
Alcohol
Canned/Bottled foods and beverages
Coffee, Baked goods and Snak food
(these are just a few examples)

Take that as you will, but personally, I wouldn't take this kind of warning all that seriously. Whether you want to is another matter, but you'd get more information from the manufacturer than you would here.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheMcSame
Pretty sure that's a blanket warning, that is to say if a chemicals were used that could cause reproductive harm, they'd still include the full warning. You're also missing how big the risk is or how you'd be exposed to these risks.

You'd be better off contacting the manufacturer and seeing what they say rather than taking a blanket warning at face value. It's also worth noting that a warning label like this isn't needed outside of California... The product, being sold in the UK, will meet CE standards, and likely meets the US' FDA standards.

I mean, I'd just like to point out California laws also require similar warnings for:
Alcohol
Canned/Bottled foods and beverages
Coffee, Baked goods and Snak food
(these are just a few examples)

Take that as you will, but personally, I wouldn't take this kind of warning all that seriously. Whether you want to is another matter, but you'd get more information from the manufacturer than you would here.

I thought it might be something like that, I just hadn't come across it before for something that is an accessory.
Thank you for the reply.
Don't care personally
The key words here are 'State of California'...
I don't care, I'm still going to wear sunglasses. :cool:
Reply 6
Hello, I just purchased sunglasses with same warning from tkmaxx and saw the label upon reaching home. Just asking, did you return yours? I have researched on the prop 65 but no clear answer. Thanks
They're likely because they say it's the state of California. California is way over zealous about this stuff.
Companies in the US and many other places aren't required to test chemicals for safety before putting them on the market. So I honestly wouldn't trust most things (and no 'reputable' brand cares if customers get cancer down the road, they won't have to pay for it... unless it's a brand whose whole ethic is health/sustainability, and even then, you'd need to have a critical eye to see if they are for real). California was heavily pressured by contaminated communities to warn people about the risks they faced from exposure to certain chemicals. You can get exposed even if you aren't eating things - just like the flu, there are particles we can't see. Putting that warning is a great way to make industries avoid certain chemicals in production (which hurt workers, environments, and customers). They don't want a warning label on their products, so it's actually a step in the right direction. Sunglasses can be made without these chemicals, just look for ones without that warning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending