The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Done nothing productive this whole goddamn year but I just went outside the depressing world full of depressing people so I can go greggs and get myself a caramel shortbread. Was a sucesss. I asked my sisters to buy it for me and they forgot it in the shop and someone took it so I had to buy another one! Hate human contact. Hate strangers. But I lurrrrve me sum caramel shortbread. Yumadocious.
Blesaed and stressed :colonhash:

Spoiler

Original post by Airmed

Spoiler

Congrats!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airmed

Spoiler

Share the details.

Got a few coming up. Nervous tbh.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Feeling demotivated. Messed up my exam. I am apparently retarded enough to not know how to prove the statement 'A or not A' even after 10 mins of thought, which could've been spent correcting my worst mistake which was in translations (this was a logic exam) where I completely forgot to use a certain one of the symbols given in every sentence. Funnily enough I miraculously managed to do a whole proof I was stuck on for ages in literally the last half a minute of the exam, which apparently 'no one could do' (or so I heard from the post-exam chatter). But still a bad performance.

So that's my first year mark out the window.

I mean by the sounds of it you could still get in like the high 80s. It's just the one proof and then I don't even know if they'd penalise the same translation error multiple times. If they did, you'd probably only lose like 1/4 of the marks from that anyway.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I mean by the sounds of it you could still get in like the high 80s. It's just the one proof and then I don't even know if they'd penalise the same translation error multiple times. If they did, you'd probably only lose like 1/4 of the marks from that anyway.

Maybe, but high 80s is still quite bad for a 15 CAT 'easy' module...
Original post by trustmeimlying1
Share the details.

Got a few coming up. Nervous tbh.

It was nothing especially fancy, just coffee, but it was just ridiculously nice
Original post by queenofswords
Very happy and at peace with myself :h:

I secured my dream job today.
What job?
Original post by trustmeimlying1
What job?

Civil servant :smile:
Maybe, but high 80s is still quite bad for a 15 CAT 'easy' module...

Sure you may have hoped for better, but it's not going to change the characteristic of your grade, i.e. say you got 10% more, well, that'd be 1.5 more CATS worth of credit, adding 1.25% to your score, assuming that your final module selection is of minimal size. You can certainly put this down to a bad day and it doesn't really reflect on your ability at all.
Sure you may have hoped for better, but it's not going to change the characteristic of your grade, i.e. say you got 10% more, well, that'd be 1.5 more CATS worth of credit, adding 1.25% to your score, assuming that your final module selection is of minimal size. You can certainly put this down to a bad day and it doesn't really reflect on your ability at all.

Eh, I guess that's true. I'd say I can make up with Analysis, G&M and Discrete Maths but the latter is very volatile, could go ok or horribly.

Btw could you help with a quick analysis Q? I'm guessing it's trivial, but for some reason I've forgot all about series convergence or something:

2.(d) 'Deduce that...' http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/lecturers/ma131t2/ma131-2014-ws.pdf
Original post by queenofswords
Civil servant :smile:
Hard work pays off.

Delighted for yeh tbh. Glad the tide has turned for yeh.
Eh, I guess that's true. I'd say I can make up with Analysis, G&M and Discrete Maths but the latter is very volatile, could go ok or horribly.

Btw could you help with a quick analysis Q? I'm guessing it's trivial, but for some reason I've forgot all about series convergence or something:

2.(d) 'Deduce that...' http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/lecturers/ma131t2/ma131-2014-ws.pdf

Think you just show that it's Cauchy via comparison with the geometric series.

Aha I forgot that Cauchy sequences were a thing, thanks.
happy, stable and in love :smile: xxxx
i hope you're all having a pleasant day x
Original post by CoolCavy
in pain
my back always hurts and has been for about a month now and my whole pelvis just feels like it's burning and like my legs dont fit into their sockets properly
tbh i feel like im just disintegrating lately

sorry to hear this, hope it gets sorted soon :hugs:

K I've tried triangle inequality and all but I can't show that the right side of |x_n-x_m| <... becomes arbitrarily small for arbitrarily large n,m. Do you mind telling me how to do it? Sorry to be a bother but there are no solutions and I'm worried something similar will come up tomorrow.
K I've tried triangle inequality and all but I can't show that the right side of |x_n-x_m| <... becomes arbitrarily small for arbitrarily large n,m. Do you mind telling me how to do it? Sorry to be a bother but there are no solutions and I'm worried something similar will come up tomorrow.

The RHS is (might be n-1 in the upper but it doesn't really matter) x0x1k=mnαk<k=mαk \displaystyle \vert x_0 - x_1 \vert \sum_{k=m}^n \alpha^k < \sum_{k=m}^\infty \alpha^k which necessarily tends to zero as m goes to infinity (so of course as m and n do) since it is the remainder sum of a convergent series.
(edited 6 years ago)
Dragging myself through revision, and unhealthily procrastinating, but what else is new

Latest