The Student Room Group

Will I be able to study nursing at uni with a criminal record as a juvenile?

Hi, I am 20 years old and have just been accepted onto an access to HE in nursing course which I am so glad about as becoming a nurse have always been a dream of mine.
However it has only just dawned on me that all this might not even be feisable.
Will I be accepted onto a university course to study a BN in adult or child nursing? And if so will I even be able to land myself a job in the hospital afterwards anyway?
My convictions are for assault (fighting at school) and theft from a shop at about 15 years old and 'possession with intent to supply a class b drug' at about 13 years old which is devistating as that conviction is down to me having my mums bag with my little brother ADHD tablets in, no selling, no giving and no taking of the tablets at all but It's all about what's on black and white. Please help and advise me on becoming a nurse with this behind me or not. Also I worked in care home for a year and a half with these convictions before falling pregnant with my son and only left due to him being born with ongoing illnesses.
Thanks in advance.
Original post by Kash1996
Hi, I am 20 years old and have just been accepted onto an access to HE in nursing course which I am so glad about as becoming a nurse have always been a dream of mine.
Will I be accepted onto a university course to study a BN in adult or child nursing? And if so will I even be able to land myself a job in the hospital afterwards anyway?
My convictions are for assault (fighting at school) and theft from a shop at about 15 years old and 'possession with intent to supply a class b drug' at about 13 years old which is devistating as that conviction is down to me having my mums bag with my little brother ADHD tablets in, no selling, no giving and no taking of the tablets at all but It's all about what's on black and white. Please help and advise me on becoming a nurse with this behind me or not. Also I worked in care home for a year and a half with these convictions before falling pregnant with my son and only left due to him being born with ongoing illnesses.
Thanks in advance.

You will have to disclose and attend a fitness to practice panel. It is important that you have documentary evidence of the surrounding circumstances. Do you have the old case papers? Does your solicitor still have copies?

The drugs conviction is somewhat bizarre in a number of respects. Firstly most tranquilisers are Class C not Class B (although Ritalin is Class B). If you had stolen your brother's medication from your mother with intent either to sell it or give it to others (I appreciate you didn't actually do it, but the offence is "intent to supply"), why was there no theft charge? Were you convicted after trial or did you plead guilty and was this on legal advice?

It strikes me that for less than £500 you could get the opinion of a criminal law solicitor as to whether the facts alleged against you actually amounted to the crime for which you were prosecuted. If not, it may be worth taking the case to the Criminal Cases Review Commission as a miscarriage of Justice. You won't need a lawyer for that. There has always been something of a problem that there is not enough concentration in the Youth Court on guilt or innocence compared with maanaging the tearaway.
Thanks in advance.

Applicants have been accepted to nursing, midwifery and paramedic degrees with previous criminal convictions, however this is reviewed by the university on a case by case basis and universities do have the right to discriminate and not accept the application or reject an applicant (even after interview).
It is important to disclose the information on the UCAS application and when given the opportunity at interview/selection days or if requested to at any other time.
You could always speak to the university admissions department of those you want to apply to or go to an open day to see if you can get an idea of your chances. The college you are doing the access course may be able to advise you too, so worth an ask.
As you got DBS certificate for your position in the care home I don't see why you wouldn't be accepted agin in the future however this doesn't guarantee you will be accepted for a university course and later a position as an RN in a hospital.
Sorry for the waffle and I hope this helps.
Reply 3
Hi, thanks for your reply. I didn't steal them me and my mum always share bags when you start secondary school you want cool handbags not kiddies bags. Nothing was stolen even my mum said it was her fault for not emptying the bag I have no paper work I was about 13 years old there was no solicitor involved either so there is no evidence of this other than it recorded against me on my record and I think it was Ritalin :/. I never got paper work for any of it just simply attests, one did go to court and it wasn't a trial it was about 15 mins in a youth court for me to pay a £50 fine and he the judge just said he can see I'm not a nasty girl and sticks and stone can break my bones but words can never hurt sort of talk as the fighting was in reaction to something nasty which was said to me about a family member, does this help?
Reply 4
Original post by mel_l218
Applicants have been accepted to nursing, midwifery and paramedic degrees with previous criminal convictions, however this is reviewed by the university on a case by case basis and universities do have the right to discriminate and not accept the application or reject an applicant (even after interview).
It is important to disclose the information on the UCAS application and when given the opportunity at interview/selection days or if requested to at any other time.
You could always speak to the university admissions department of those you want to apply to or go to an open day to see if you can get an idea of your chances. The college you are doing the access course may be able to advise you too, so worth an ask.
As you got DBS certificate for your position in the care home I don't see why you wouldn't be accepted agin in the future however this doesn't guarantee you will be accepted for a university course and later a position as an RN in a hospital.
Sorry for the waffle and I hope this helps.

Hi thanks for the reply this is a great help thank you, I really hope my dreams of being a nurse can still happen despite my childhood!
Hi, thanks for your reply. I didn't steal them me and my mum always share bags when you start secondary school you want cool handbags not kiddies bags. Nothing was stolen even my mum said it was her fault for not emptying the bag I have no paper work I was about 13 years old there was no solicitor involved either so there is no evidence of this other than it recorded against me on my record and I think it was Ritalin :/. I never got paper work for any of it just simply attests, one did go to court and it wasn't a trial it was about 15 mins in a youth court for me to pay a £50 fine and he the judge just said he can see I'm not a nasty girl and sticks and stone can break my bones but words can never hurt sort of talk as the fighting was in reaction to something nasty which was said to me about a family member, does this help?

If this does present any sort of problem to you should get advice regarding referring this to the CCRC. On what you were saying you weren't guilty, it looks as though the actions of your family deprived you of the opportunity of a fair trial, and the district judge failed to make sure that you understood what you were pleading guilty to. The CPS clearly charged possession with intent to supply because of the fact that you were not intending it for personal consumption but the only people you intended to supply were your mother and brother who would have been lawfully in possession of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks in advance.

Hi @Kash1996
Don't get me wrong all the points above are correct and many prospective students have been accepted onto nursing courses at university after undergoing a rigorous process, you first have to disclose this on your application via UCAS a simple tick box. After universities receive your application some do reject people after seeing that tick box and some still take you through the normal process and ask for further information either during the interview or after. Since these offences were committed in your youth, I would urge you to make a Subject Access Request through ACAS, there is a charge of £10, you go online and complete the form online, it can take a while to get the info back but this allows you to see the info the police hold on your record, some offences are filtered, you should check the filtering rules online, you said you worked in a care home, did they do a DBS check on you or CRB, this record would show up previous offences. You may not even need to disclose to the university if it doesn't show up on your record anymore, theres also a video on the ACAS website about offences you should watch it, theres no point disclosing something that isnt there. So you firstly need to find out if you have actice record and if so, what it is and so on. If you need clarification, please let me know, I am also talking from experience, I don't know if the people on here have experience in this matter. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
if these where adult offences you would have no chance. dishonesty, drug supply and violence. if your working in a care setting you must have one. its seriously dodgy not to. so it must not show up. however this not the point they are checking your honesty as much as the offences. if you fail to disclose and they dont appear you can still be kicked off if they are ever discovered. disclose explain the situation around them and how you learnt from it and have matured. they want to know your safe around drugs. the charge alone raises worries. that the patient is safe and their property is safe. you could speak to the nmc before hand to see. if there is no newer offences you have a good chance.
Reply 8
Hi,I applied for paramedic science at hertsforshire university and got an offer however I do have a caution for Affray which was 6 years ago and will still show on my DBS. I had to send over a document explaining the nature of the offence and several other things. This has now been sent to my tutor and then on to the DBS panel. I'm awaiting the outcome. Fingers crossed I can accept my offer. I will let you know the outcome
first was this as an adult.to have just a caution for affray is an indication that it was on the minor scale. maximum is 3 years. so you need to explain totally honestly why it happened. accepting your responsibility. explain how it made you review your life. what you learnt and how your avoiding the same issues arising. to be fare its a spent offence. they will be looking at whether you pose a risk to the people you care for and the risk of re offending on what you say and the sentence you dont. so hopefully they should allow you onto the course. not just in your case but be aware they kick folks off the register for minor offences. drink and depression related offences are often the cause.
Thanks forYour reply. My DBS panel hearing is on weds where I have to attend and talk about the offence. Really worried I have a feeling they will not let me on the course. Has anyone attended one?
Original post by Cheyiko1
Thanks forYour reply. My DBS panel hearing is on weds where I have to attend and talk about the offence. Really worried I have a feeling they will not let me on the course. Has anyone attended one?

Honesty is the best policy to an extent your older now she's grown up, you've now been out of trouble for a while now, explain the circumstances around your offences in a negative but positive way not too much detail, and explain that your offences will not affect your course, explain how you have changed for the better and how you will never do something like this again, write a statement and read it out and see what it sounds like, good luck let us know, do some research online too to see what others have also been through, experiences and so on xxx
even id one uni does not allow you others will. however you must never repeat any of the offences either as a student or on the register. a repeating offences will be very very bad.
Good news! I was given the all good to continue and accept my unconditional offer for paramedic science at hertsforshire university but with a first warning on my record. For anyone worrying about being accepted just be honest, admit your wrong doings and explain how you've Changed and what you've done after I.E no further crimianl involvement, maintained a job & worked with vulnerable adults and children etc..
Good news! I was given the all good to continue and accept my unconditional offer for paramedic science at hertsforshire university but with a first warning on my record. For anyone worrying about being accepted just be honest, admit your wrong doings and explain how you've Changed and what you've done after I.E no further crimianl involvement, maintained a job & worked with vulnerable adults and children etc..

I'm so happy to hear that well done you xxx

That's great news!
Thanks guys! X
hello, i need some advice i am almost 20 i. Australian. i have to attend court in july. i have put a statment into the police about how i got assulted from my boyfriend. i went back into the police station and said i lied because i was scared and i thought i was going to get assulted by him again so i made it up so he could get taken away. so now i could be charded for lieing in a statement i want to become a nurse will this effect me becoming one. will i even be allowed to be one. i was scared so i lied i didnt understand you could get in trouble for that
(edited 5 years ago)
Mate, I wouldn’t worry about it honestly. I have affray on my criminal record from 2010 I’m now studying paramedic science at university. I had to attend a DBS panel where they gave me a such to explain and tell them why I was sorry ect.. just be honest when you go to apply and explain the circumstances. They put me on a final warning and let me accept my offer. I’m almost finished with my first year.

But you need to blag it a bit to who ever your applying to about how it wasn’t your fault, your a changed person, was in a bad place at the time ect

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending