The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

I did terrible on my Oxford skype interview

I'm really disappointed in myself. I had prepared a lot about a specific research proposal that would be well suited to my interviewer's research interests, however after speaking to a PhD student she suggested not deviating too much from the ideas I mentioned in my personal statement so when asked what my most interested topic is, I immediately said mental health (which was briefly mentioned in my personal statement when I applied) and due to nerves, I elaborated on that and completely did not mention the very thought through plan I had about language development (this is for a child development & education MSc).

I know that their main research interests is language and literacy and this is why I am so annoyed with myself! I guess there's nothing left I can do now right?

Has anyone had any experience with doing badly on an interview? Did they immediately reject you or asked to speak to you again? Would it be appropriate to email them explaining my actual research proposal?

I can't stop overthinking this, I just need to let it go right?

Thanks so much!
It may be worth a short but well thought-out e-mail (do not ramble!). Explaining due to nerves you failed to mention your actual research plan and would they mind taking a look at it.

Be professional and succinct and remember to thank them for their time.

Basically they may not appreciate it and get a bad impression of you. However, you may decide it is worth the risk. Just check to see if you have actually already given them your proposal as part of your application, you don't want to send redundant information!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by monkyvirus
It may be worth a short but well thought-out e-mail (do not ramble!). Explaining due to nerves you failed to mention your actual research plan and would they mind taking a look at it.

Be professional and succinct and remember to thank them for their time.

Basically they may not appreciate it and get a bad impression of you. However, you may decide it is worth the risk. Just check to see if you have actually already given them your proposal as part of your application, you don't want to send redundant information!

Thanks for your opinion! Yeah I'm thinking I should go ahead with sending a well thought out email as I will remain annoyed about this for a while if I don't haha. Also it was just brief research ideas and not a proposal in the application so this would definitely be an elaboration of such ideas. Thanks!
Original post by igcsecrazy
Thanks for your opinion! Yeah I'm thinking I should go ahead with sending a well thought out email as I will remain annoyed about this for a while if I don't haha. Also it was just brief research ideas and not a proposal in the application so this would definitely be an elaboration of such ideas. Thanks!

Good luck!
I can't really offer any help, but can offer conciliatory words - don't get too down on yourself. Skype interviews in my opinion are awful, and after completely bombing one this year I have resolved to never do one again. It was for PhD funding at Bristol, and the committee of 3 interviewers (or was it 4?) were all huddled over a single iPad. Incredibly weird and it made the entire thing into a bit of a farce. I performed horribly. I've resolved in the future to just suck up the cost and go to these things.

Under these circumstances, I can't see any harm in sending a quick email as the previous poster recommended. But don't get too worked up about it - Skype makes interviews all kinds of weird and nerve-wracking, IMO. My advice would be to learn from this and always go face-to-face if you can. Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by tomv46
I can't really offer any help, but can offer conciliatory words - don't get too down on yourself. Skype interviews in my opinion are awful, and after completely bombing one this year I have resolved to never do one again. It was for PhD funding at Bristol, and the committee of 3 interviewers (or was it 4?) were all huddled over a single iPad. Incredibly weird and it made the entire thing into a bit of a farce. I performed horribly. I've resolved in the future to just suck up the cost and go to these things.

Under these circumstances, I can't see any harm in sending a quick email as the previous poster recommended. But don't get too worked up about it - Skype makes interviews all kinds of weird and nerve-wracking, IMO. My advice would be to learn from this and always go face-to-face if you can. Good luck :smile:

Thanks! I really appreciate your advice :smile: Yeah skype interviews are weird and uncomfortable but I guess I just have to get used to them so whatever happens its all a learning experience! I emailed one of the interviewers and she said she appreciated the email and said not to worry about my performance as nerves are expected.

Quick Reply

Latest