The Student Room Group

Cardiff or Liverpool for Accounting?

I'm really struggling to decide between Cardiff and Liverpool for Accounting.

Cardiff's course has 8 exemptions towards the ACA, while Liverpool's course has 12. They both have the same number of exemptions for the ACCA and CIMA.
Cardiff's course has an optional year work placement in partnership with the ICEAW.
Cardiff's course is also 92% exam and 8% coursework while Liverpool's is 72% exam - I prefer coursework.

Overall though, I am worried about Liverpool's reputation. I've had a lot of people say the university just isn't regarded very highly and that it's a bit 'chavvy'.

Opinions? Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by katiee987

Cardiff's course has 8 exemptions towards the ACA, while Liverpool's course has 12. They both have the same number of exemptions for the ACCA and CIMA.
Cardiff's course has an optional year work placement in partnership with the ICEAW.
Cardiff's course is also 92% exam and 8% coursework while Liverpool's is 72% exam - I prefer coursework.

Overall though, I am worried about Liverpool's reputation. I've had a lot of people say the university just isn't regarded very highly and that it's a bit 'chavvy'.

I can tell you that the university is okay, but Liverpool is really Chav like I would avoid it completely as a place to live it's very run down and depressing in most areas.
Avoid Liverpool it's a horrible place to live, very poor run down and depressing in most areas really.
Cardiff is okay but it kind of wears off after the first year? You read about all these things to do etc but really when you get there, it feels quite small and you get bored (which I guess would be the same anywhere). I've also heard more and more people complain about Cardiff over the last two years which I hadn't really before. My ex best friend went to Liverpool uni and loved it, the people are really friendly etc
Original post by katiee987

Hi @katiee987,

It's great to hear you're considering coming to Liverpool. I don't know much about the Accounting course, but I think it's good that you have considered course structure and placement opportunities. Maybe looking at the course modules will help you compare them more clearly. My general understanding is that the courses in the Management school have a very good reputation, in the UK and internationally. I'm from the School of the Arts, so my knowledge of Accounting is limited!

However, as a current student at the University of Liverpool hopefully I can give you some positives about living and studying in Liverpool. I am now a PhD student and have studied here for my undergraduate and masters degree. I am not originally from Liverpool but have found it so welcoming and great to live in as an undergraduate and postgrad. There is so much to do in the city centre and around the student areas, museums, galleries, sports, theatre, great nightlife, excellent restaurants and cafes. There's always something to do and as the city isn't massive it's really easy to get around. I cycle, and the council has just finished upgrading the cycle lanes on one of the main routes into uni. I live relatively 'far' from campus and it only takes me 15 minutes to cycle into uni, my housemate claims to have cycled the route in 7 minutes! Liverpool is also a really well connected city: Manchester is 30-40mins away, London 2 hours away, 20 minutes to the beach.

Liverpool still has a bad reputation, which is such a shame. Every time my friends and family come and visit me they say how much they love the city, even my Grandad, who is 85, and was hesitant to visit because its 'reputation'! He likes the museums and all the gluten-free options at restaurants! Pretty much all my friends from undergrad have stayed in Liverpool after graduating because they loved living here and Liverpool has one of the highest (if not the highest) graduate recension rates of any UK university city. I know so many people who have moved home or moved away and have come back because they missed being in Liverpool.There's a reason why the welcome video ends with 'Welcome to Liverpool, this is your home now'. :smile:

It's a really affordable city to live in and there's always something happening. Everyone I know has a different experience of Liverpool and had a great time.

Feel free to ask any questions about the city or being a student in Liverpool. Sorry for over-selling! It just makes me sad that people still have this perception of Liverpool.

Madelaine
English Literature Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending