The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

what do you know/your opinion of computer science at the university of nottingham?

It is supposed to be great but it ranks so low
YouTube has a video on this very thing.
Basically: Universities are partly ranked on their offers.

If a university gives an offer of A*A*A, but then lets in everyone regardless of grades, that helps their ranking. UNotts doesn't do that(For CompSci, anyway - I don't know about other faculties).

I'm sure if you do a search on YouTube for Nottingham computet science, you'll see it. Part of my research into universities found that.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I am currently revising in a Nottingham lab for first year exams... ask me anything :smile:
Reply 3
Hi, I have applied to study Comp Sci in Nottingham. I am a little concerned that although Nottingham is a Russell Group Uni, the entry requirements is considerably low. Any reason for this.. Also, could you give me a brief idea about the teaching and other opportunities for the students.. Are there enough opportunities for students to apply for jobs in big MNCs. Your reply would greatly help me and put my mind at rest that I have chosen the right uni.Many thanks
Original post by ssat108
Hi, I have applied to study Comp Sci in Nottingham. I am a little concerned that although Nottingham is a Russell Group Uni, the entry requirements is considerably low. Any reason for this.. Also, could you give me a brief idea about the teaching and other opportunities for the students.. Are there enough opportunities for students to apply for jobs in big MNCs. Your reply would greatly help me and put my mind at rest that I have chosen the right uni.Many thanks

Nottingham AAA or AAB with computing, Leeds AAA, Exeter AAA ABB, Warwick AAA. Just to name a few. You have to remember a lot of the universities are guilty of inflating their entry requirements but will accept people with much lower grades than the entry requirements. Nottingham don't do this there are you tube videos on this too. Nottingham doesn't ask for Maths but favours those with computing because the reality is every degree has one maths module in first year which tent to be very similar at most top universities regardless of if maths is an entry requirement. Doing A level maths helps a little but the content is completely different to A level maths.
The school of Comp Sci has won awards numerous times for the best school at the university and is one of the best universities for grad employment. I cannot tell you about teaching and opportunities yet but I will let you know in September :smile:
Being a student at Nottingham myself, I can tell you that the only way you'll leave without a job is if you do literally nothing for 3 years outside your degree. There are events and opportunities daily, it's up to you to be proactive and take them. Rankings are flimsy and as others have pointed out, there are videos explaining the entry requirement situation.
Original post by Exceptional
Being a student at Nottingham myself, I can tell you that the only way you'll leave without a job is if you do literally nothing for 3 years outside your degree. There are events and opportunities daily, it's up to you to be proactive and take them. Rankings are flimsy and as others have pointed out, there are videos explaining the entry requirement situation.

Hey, How is your first year going? Have you finished your exams?
Original post by Aidan.reed
Hey, How is your first year going? Have you finished your exams?

Hey! Final exam is tomorrow. It's been challenging at times but highly enjoyable overall. Looking forward to second year. Excited to start?
Original post by Exceptional
Hey! Final exam is tomorrow. It's been challenging at times but highly enjoyable overall. Looking forward to second year. Excited to start?

Good luck!, I'm excited yes, are you staying in halls or private house next year?
Reply 9
Thank you so much for your reply.. This really helped me to put my mind at ease. I am an IB student and my Higher maths exam did not go as wel las i had hoped. Hence my firm choice of Warwick is out of the window. Nottingham has made me an offer for Higher Maths level 5, which i am hoping I am going to achieve. Nottingham is my insurance.. So i am not going to be disappointed going to Nottingham.. Yay !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending