The Student Room Group
Original post by Spratty
Would a 15.6 inch laptop be too big for university? I want a lightweight laptop that is not too bulky to carry around, but I'm also concerned that a 14 inch laptop would be too small for university life.

I'm going to be studying Computer Science so lots of coding will be done on this laptop

Go to a shop like John Lewis, Currys or PC World. Dont buy , just look but see the difference between 14 and 15.6, plus the weight. make up your own mind. !4 is more popular these days if you carry it a lot.
Both are fine, the resolution is more relevant really. Also screen size doesn't necessarily correlate to significant weight increase, as this tends to be more due to the frame and internals.

Best bet would be to measure your day to day bag, and see if it would fit in comfortably to there. If it would only just fit in, then a smaller sized one may be a better option. Even a much smaller netbook would likely be sufficient for basic use, if you'd like to do programming on it a larger screen (and more importantly, higher resolution) helps. You'll also want sufficient RAM and a decent CPU if you plan on actually compiling and running your code.
I've just graduated as a computer science major and I used a 13 inch apple MacBook for the whole course. I found this size good because it was easy to carry, and fast to unpack and put away too. I never found the screen too small to code on, or complete the majority of my assignments.

However, the only time I found it maybe a slight problem was graphics. If you're into graphics and will be taking graphics modules on your computer science course, then get a 15 inch, because the extra screen makes all the difference, and isn't too much heavier either.

The main thing is to see the laptop you're buying in person, to make sure you're comfortable with the keyboard, that you like the screen and the materials used, that type of thing.

We all have preferences, and having a laptop you'e comfortable with makes all the difference when you're doing work, in my opinion. Check the laptop at a currys or pc world, and then buy it cheaper online :wink:.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
@Spratty You could always go for a small screen for portability (I second the 13" @thatguy170296) and then maybe add a secondary monitor for those times you need/want a big screen.
Original post by Doonesbury
@Spratty You could always go for a small screen for portability (I second the 13" @thatguy170296) and then maybe add a secondary monitor for those times you need/want a big screen.

That's a great point Spratty, I do actually connect my small MacBook to a monitor too. That way, you can have the portability for lectures and those long hauls at uni, and a larger screen for when you relax at home or need a larger screen for other work. If I'm honest, I couldn't go back to a 15 inch laptop now, and would seriously recommend a macbook too.
Might be helpful of you tell people what your budget is.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Might be helpful of you tell people what your budget is.

My budget is 600 quid.
Reply 8
Original post by Spratty
Would a 15.6 inch laptop be too big for university? I want a lightweight laptop that is not too bulky to carry around, but I'm also concerned that a 14 inch laptop would be too small for university life.

I'm going to be studying Computer Science so lots of coding will be done on this laptop

Go to a shop like John Lewis, Currys or PC World. Dont buy , just look but see the difference between 14 and 15.6, plus the weight. make up your own mind. !4 is more popular these days if you carry it a lot.

Yup, you would definitely if you actually try out the laptop if you are unsure with the screen size.

Go to PC world and go on the web browser, and go on an in-browser IDLE so you can see whether you would prefer a 14" or a 15.6".
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Spratty
My budget is 600 quid.

Which puts Apple macs out of the picture unless you go second hand.

If you just nip into a store as I said or just get yourself some scales and fill up a bag with the relative weight of 3/2.5/2/ 1.5kg then you get a feel for the weight.

Testing in real life also shows you thinks like how the pointer works, keyboard vuild quality etc.

Lots of modest laptops are now HD 1920x 1080.

Processor no less than an I5
pref 8gb ram
pref 256gb ssd for speed.pf loading atlhough 128gb + externa HDD is manageable.
Discrete graphics if you like games or use graphics.

If you dont mind re-certified or an tolerate a small scratch then id look at Dell outlet as you would get plenty of power in excess of those specs. Also ask for s student discount- normally 10-15%
http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=7&c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh&dgc=IR&cid=296386&lid=5667687

Hot deals UK as well normally a good place to track bargains.
http://www.hotukdeals.com/computers/deals/hot

JL gives you an extra years warranty for free.
Reply 10
x

Thanks for the advice
Original post by Spratty
Thanks for the advice

I found an I7 7700, with 16gb ram, 256gb ssd and 1TB HDD, HD screen and dscrete graphics card for just over £600 and possible student discount. at the cost of a scratch which might be nothing.
Reply 12
I found an I7 7700, with 16gb ram, 256gb ssd and 1TB HDD, HD screen and dscrete graphics card for just over £600 and possible student discount. at the cost of a scratch which might be nothing.

I'll check it out, thanks again :h:
The resolution is I'd say more important than screen size. I've used Visual Studio on a 14.1" 1280x800 laptop and on a 13.3" 1920x1080 laptop and the smaller higher resolution screen is miles easier to read while also getting more on screen.

But that's within reason, I tried using Visual Studio on a 10.8" 1920x1080 screen as well and it was just plain unusable.

As for specs, my device is a Core M-5Y71 with 8gb ram and a 256gb SSD and I've yet to find it lacking in performance but it has a distinct battery life advantage being able to last all day and without any fan noise.

I also find a touch screen is really handy when working on the go if I'm without a mouse.
Reply 14
The main thing is to see the laptop you're buying in person, to make sure you're comfortable with the keyboard, that you like the screen and the materials used, that type of thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending