The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Biology Unit 2 (2017)

Does anybody have predictions as to what'll come up on Tuesday's paper? Unit 1 was hellish so I need to do well on the upcoming exam.

Given that neither made an appearance (or a small appearance - I may be wrong) last year, I suspect the heart (cardiac cycle, cardiography etc.) and the human digestive system will be on there, among other things. How do other people feel?

Ruminants and mass flow came up last year so I can't imagine the WJEC recycling those this year.

Scroll to see replies

I'm going to time myself and do last year's paper later tonight so that's one of the only BY2/Unit 2 papers I've not given a look as of yet. My best guess is that they'll ask maths questions whenever they can, i.e. Simpson's index, any of the heart graphs, etc. I think I'm fairly well prepared, but I have no clue how to go about revising the biodiversity/evolution stuff. Most questions for that just seem as if they could be done without having gone through the topic.
Cool, thanks. I hate the maths aspect of the course so much. The Simpson's index came up last year, so I'm hoping they'll give it a miss. Last year's BY2 paper sucked. 2016's BY1 was great compared to this year's awful BY1 paper, don't you think? :frown:

I agree about being able to answer classification/evolution questions without proper revision.
Original post by allfunandjames
Cool, thanks. I hate the maths aspect of the course so much. The Simpson's index came up last year, so I'm hoping they'll give it a miss. Last year's BY2 paper sucked. 2016's BY1 was great compared to this year's awful BY1 paper, don't you think? :frown:

I agree about being able to answer classification/evolution questions without proper revision.

I thought the same about BY1 2016 being harder than this year. Provided the grade boundaries are the same as last year for BY1 I think I'll do okay, but you never know because the questions are worded so weirdly on the new spec so you hardly know what they're asking and what answer you're supposed to give most of the time. The maths is my saving grace on these papers, though.

I'm hoping that a lot of heart questions (chloride shift, vessel structures or maybe tissue fluid) do come up, also xylem transport and dentition. I second your doubt that phloem will come up given that it was in last year's Eduqas paper too. Are you doing CH2 this Friday?
No CH2 for me. The wording is tough and feels like biology wrapped in layers of pointless crap. I do think I flopped BY1, unfortunately. Last year's boundaries were low but I'm not sure if that's enough. 2016's BY2 paper seemed to love plants, which would've had a big no from me. :s-smilie:

I'm hoping for parasitism (my favourite), blood vessels, kingdoms (probably too easy), gas exchange in fish, and digestion of carbs, proteins, or lipids. Gas exchange is, all in all, a nice topic.
Original post by allfunandjames
No CH2 for me. The wording is tough and feels like biology wrapped in layers of pointless crap. I do think I flopped BY1, unfortunately. Last year's boundaries were low but I'm not sure if that's enough. 2016's BY2 paper seemed to love plants, which would've had a big no from me. :s-smilie:

I'm hoping for parasitism (my favourite), blood vessels, kingdoms (probably too easy), gas exchange in fish, and digestion of carbs, proteins, or lipids. Gas exchange is, all in all, a nice topic.

As for plants, hate phloem stuff but I'm okay with xylem. Definitely prefer the human part of the transport topic than the plant part though. The only thing that ever seems to be asked frequently for parasitism is the definition. Agreed, gas exchange in fish would be good if it came up, anything else then waffling about surface area would suffice :biggrin:
Good luck all!!
Original post by plaguemutt
Good luck all!!

Thank you. Much appreciated. :yy:
Reply 8
Wtf , anyone else hate digestive system??
Need to go over it today tbh
Need to go over it today tbh

Nah I love digestion, I need to learn all of gas exchange by tomorrow 😦
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by em_lj
Nah I love digestion, I need to learn all of gas exchange by tomorrow 😦

Ommmg good luck, have you got the small books? (They've got the green insect on the front)
Ommmg good luck, have you got the small books? (They've got the green insect on the front)

Thanks you too! And nah I've been using all my school's notes they're pretty decent and basically just summarise the revision guide.
Original post by em_lj
Thanks you too! And nah I've been using all my school's notes they're pretty decent and basically just summarise the revision guide.

Ahhh sounds good!! Not gonna do much today, I'll probably look at the teachers guidance notes online as a recap tonight and hope for the best 😢🔫
Ahhh sounds good!! Not gonna do much today, I'll probably look at the teachers guidance notes online as a recap tonight and hope for the best 😢🔫

Fe, imma learn all of plants and then do quickfire questions our teachers made for us to make sure that we know the basics. Might skip lessons tomorrow morning to prepare
Original post by em_lj
Fe, imma learn all of plants and then do quickfire questions our teachers made for us to make sure that we know the basics. Might skip lessons tomorrow morning to prepare

Ahh good luck!! To be honest I might just come in for 1.30 if I don't manage to sleep, if I do sleep you bet I'll be coming in for 8.40 to revise LOL
Original post by em_lj

Crash course is good if you want to just watch something but sometimes it's too detailed and can be a bit fast :P
Crash course is good if you want to just watch something but sometimes it's too detailed and can be a bit fast :P

Thanks, might check it out
Reply 18
Good luck everyone, let's hope it all goes fineee😅😂😂
Anyone got good resources for the evolution & biodiversity topic? Preferably videos as I can't find anything specific to our course (assessing biodiversity etc.) on youtube

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending