The Student Room Group

Student finance & freshers

I just logged onto the SF website to check if it had been updated and it's saying that my first payment of ANY money will be the 18th of October 2017 yet my freshers week starts around a month before then. Does anyone know why we get it a month after we start our courses? I'm worried I won't have enough money for freshers now, as lame as that sounds xD

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Will you have a job over the summer? I'm saving up a bit of money to cover me for the first couple of weeks until the loan comes in.
Original post by weathergirl96
I just logged onto the SF website to check if it had been updated and it's saying that my first payment of ANY money will be the 18th of October 2017 yet my freshers week starts around a month before then. Does anyone know why we get it a month after we start our courses? I'm worried I won't have enough money for freshers now, as lame as that sounds xD

Any ideas?
Thanks!

For everyone I've known, it's come in around a week or so after you get registered at the uni (so a week after freshers)

If you're concerned, call them up and ask about the situation.
Original post by DJ98
Will you have a job over the summer? I'm saving up a bit of money to cover me for the first couple of weeks until the loan comes in.

No I won't, I have a little one so don't have the time!

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Did you submit your finance application before the deadline? Usually you'd get paid in September.
Reply 5
No I won't, I have a little one so don't have the time!

The uni has to confirm that you're actually there, and then student finance pay you. So the earliest you can get your loan is a week after you start.

You need to figure out a source of money. This may need to be an overdraft, or a loan from family
The date student finance is paid is set by your uni. But as mentioned, this is usually a few days - a week after you enrol.
Original post by Glassapple
Did you submit your finance application before the deadline? Usually you'd get paid in September.

Hi yes, I did it really on, as soon as I applied for uni!
Original post by Juno
The uni has to confirm that you're actually there, and then student finance pay you. So the earliest you can get your loan is a week after you start.

You need to figure out a source of money. This may need to be an overdraft, or a loan from family

I currently have income support as i'm a single parent, but at some point this will stop due to uni money :L
Reply 9
I currently have income support as i'm a single parent, but at some point this will stop due to uni money :L

Well, you'll have to save some for fresher's week then
Get a student bank account with an interest free overdraft.

Have you been told it will all stop?
Reply 12
The date quoted on the SF paperwork, is the earliest date on which SF will release your funding. If your uni holds on campus enrolment/registration earlier than that, you will still not get the money any earlier than the SF date.

It's usually related to the official start date of your course - Oxford and Cambridge tend to have later start dates than most.
Reply 13

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Are you sure you haven't mistaken the tuition fee payments with the maintenance loan. I did the same thing when I reviewed the letter failing to realise that the instalment which was in October turned out to be the payment to the university for the tuition fee loan.

As far as I am aware they haven't told anyone the maintenance loan payment dates?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by bhfn
Are you sure you haven't mistaken the tuition fee payments with the maintenance loan. I did the same thing when I reviewed the letter failing to realise that the instalment which was in October turned out to be the payment to the university for the tuition fee loan.

As far as I am aware they haven't told anyone the maintenance loan payment dates?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been told mine and I can see them on the Student Finance website. As soon as it said Payments Scheduled, I was able to click on view payments and see when I'll get the money - 25th September and 18th October for the maintenance and tuition loan, respectively. The 25th September is my course's start date, so I can understand why I'll get the money then. It's kinda annoying that I'll be in halls for a week or two before that though.
Reply 15
Original post by DJ98
I've been told mine and I can see them on the Student Finance website. As soon as it said Payments Scheduled, I was able to click on view payments and see when I'll get the money - 25th September and 18th October for the maintenance and tuition loan, respectively. The 25th September is my course's start date, so I can understand why I'll get the money then. It's kinda annoying that I'll be in halls for a week or two before that though.

Is it maybe because I haven't added my bank details yet?

I have a little bit saved that'll get me through hopefully, if not I'll just be relying on an overdraft.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is why I am living at home so I don't have to worry about this ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by bhfn

I have a little bit saved that'll get me through hopefully, if not I'll just be relying on an overdraft.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It might be. I might have to use my overdraft too, I should have some work over the summer but nothing concrete yet.

Original post by samzy21
This is why I am living at home so I don't have to worry about this ****

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lucky. I'd still have to worry about it if I was at home, so that I could pay rent.
Original post by bhfn

That won't have anything to do with the date.
Reply 19
Original post by Tiger Rag
That won't have anything to do with the date.

How do you check?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending