The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster College Choices.

I am going to Lancaster uni in Sep (2017) for psychology, and as the opening for accom is coming up shortly i thought to make this post.

I have looked through the uni's website about the collegiate system, but i was hoping to get some 'real' student experience and thoughts about colleges from here (and obviously the Uni isnt going to say bad points / biases about each college)

So, what are your true opinions about each college (location, bars, social life e.t.c) and what are the type of people that fit in where?
(i know there is no 'best' college, and you're bound to make friends where ever, but which colleges are typically known for certain things?)
Hi if you are interested in a house-share, off campus with 5 x 2nd year students, let me know we have a furnished, double room available for £95 per week including bills and £99 deposit. 48 week contract from September 2017. Thanks.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by mollyhenthorn
I am going to Lancaster uni in Sep (2017) for psychology, and as the opening for accom is coming up shortly i thought to make this post.

I have looked through the uni's website about the collegiate system, but i was hoping to get some 'real' student experience and thoughts about colleges from here (and obviously the Uni isnt going to say bad points / biases about each college)

So, what are your true opinions about each college (location, bars, social life e.t.c) and what are the type of people that fit in where?
(i know there is no 'best' college, and you're bound to make friends where ever, but which colleges are typically known for certain things?)

I'm starting Psychology at Lancaster this autumn too! You want adding to our group chat on Facebook?

And, while not a current student, from what I've heard student experience in each college is just basically the same. Just go for whichever has the accommodation that appeals most to you. Fylde is known to be sporty and a current student told me Grizedale has a bit of a party reputation but don't adhere to that too much. As for the bars, you can go in whichever bars you want to anyways, regardless of what college you're in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheMightyAugur
I'm starting Psychology at Lancaster this autumn too! You want adding to our group chat on Facebook?

And, while not a current student, from what I've heard student experience in each college is just basically the same. Just go for whichever has the accommodation that appeals most to you. Fylde is known to be sporty and a current student told me Grizedale has a bit of a party reputation but don't adhere to that too much. As for the bars, you can go in whichever bars you want to anyways, regardless of what college you're in

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, great thanks!
I'll message you about the facebook chat :smile:
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I be added to this group chat too? I've firmed Lancaster for Psychology too:smile:
Original post by yoitsdyl
Can I be added to this group chat too? I've firmed Lancaster for Psychology too:smile:

PM me a link to your profile and I'll add you 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

I'm in Cartmel but I'll try to keep my views as neutral as possible.

As you've already mentioned, regardless of where you go, you'll make friends. There are many people in fact meet friends on courses or in colleges and don't spend much time with their flatmates. Obviously its pot luck who you get put with but chances are you'll meet people you like in your college, they are too big not to. The terms like 'party college' don't really exist other than people trying to hype one college over another. It's really down to you and how involved you get. You'll find a vibrant social life whatever college you go to so long as you make the effort and that's what the whole university experience is about. The more you put in, the more you get out.

Cartmel is great. Modern accommodation, rooms are huge, scenery is nice, the common room has been recently (Easter just gone) updated with new sofas, pool tables etc, got a Starbucks :biggrin: (bad for the wallet). The social life is great, quite often gets the reputation for 'quiet college' but not seen it myself. I think years back perhaps it was seen this way but from my experience being here a couple of years, its far from it. It's certainly not party 24/7 either. The thing I like about Cartmel is how its for everyone. It's easy to have a party or head down to the bar for a drink but at the same time you can just chill in your room without being disturbed as its pretty quiet even if other people are partying. Only downside is location for Cartmel, being the furthest from center of campus, but I see it as a good thing. The morning walk to lectures certainly wakes you up after a night out haha

Fylde focuses on sport, where as Grizedale is focused on their bar. County is huge, Furness is small. Pendle is about live music, Bowland and Lonsdale, I'm not really sure what their selling points are. It's important to remember that regardless of college, you can use any other colleges facilities!

If I got to pick again, I'd go Cartmel, it feels like home now, but that's just my opinion. Hope this helps!
Reply 7

Is there a lot of people in this group chat? I've also accepted my offer to study psychology this autumn :smile:
Hey, I don't know whether this will still be relevant as I can't remember when accommodation choosing opened from last year. But here is some honest advice about choosing your college:

1) Ignore the college 'reputations':
If you're worried about the type of people who are in each college because of reputation - don't. These reputations essentially come from the theme of that college's bar. For example; Fylde's bar is sports themed, but it doesn't make all college members so. You get a real mix of characters in each college, so don't worry about not fitting into a stereotype.

2) Location is key:
Depending on what you're going to study may be the greatest factor on which college you should pick. If you're going to study any subjects in the LICA building, I strongly advise against picking Cartmel as your college unless you like long walks across campus. The most central are Bowland, Furness and Fylde. Depending on what you're going to study, have a look at the campus map to see what accommodation is close to your main lecture building.

3) You may not get any of your college choices:
Heads up, the college I ended up in was not one of my two I originally applied for. I'm happy where I ended up because I made good friends there. But based on 'reputation' I was originally not happy about being placed there. So don't fret too much if you don't end up where you originally planned!

4) Embrace where you end up:
Take full advantage of Fresher's Week to build friendships with your flatmates and have an amazing time! Your fresher reps will be there to support and advise you no matter what your personality is. If you love to party, great! If you're more reserved or not into drinking, then you'll be supported just the same! You'll find people just like yourself in your college, on your course and in the societies you join.

In conclusion:
- Location is pretty significant.
- Reputations (in my opinion) are not real. You're not limited to just your own college bar, you can go to any to experience different 'themes'.
- Make the most out of wherever you end up!

If you have any questions about first year, campus or uni life in general feel free to ask or message me:smile:
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there a lot of people in this group chat? I've also accepted my offer to study psychology this autumn
Having been there a lot it's not a big deal. Just choose somewhere to stay, walk into the Uni to where you need to study and you'll be fine. The campus isn't so big that being in one place is particularly advantageous since all areas of study and shops are close by.

Colleges don't matter. Just go for one that sounds good / looks nice. HF
Original post by dinaahmed
Is there a lot of people in this group chat? I've also accepted my offer to study psychology this autumn

I just checked, there's 28 of us atm
I just checked, there's 28 of us atm

Any chance I can be added?:smile:
Original post by dinaahmed
Any chance I can be added?:smile:

Sure! PM a link to your fb profile and I'll add you in
Reply 14

All the colleges are quite similar, the main differences between them are the room types available, the distance from the centre of campus, and the facilities that they have in their bars.
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending