The Student Room Group

Hi everyone! I've come seeking guidance

Hello, i'm Owain.
I'm 22 and currently Working at ASDA.
I completed A levels (just about) and then have pretty much been at ASDA ever since.
I'm on here because i'm really starting to worry about my life and thought i try get some help on here, it cant hurt to try.
So my main problem is that i have no idea what i want to do with my life job/career wise. i haven't found anything that i'm passionate about and i'm to afraid to try things for the sake of trying them. I like to think i'm intelligent, got A*'s and A's at gcse's but then flunked A levels somewhat because i lost interest and haven't done any other education since.
So i'm just looking to see if there are people on here in a similar situation or have been and maybe have some helpful tips. Because i'm just throwing my life away. But i'm in an endless loop of being to scared to commit to anything but scared that i'm not doing anything and getting anywhere.

Thanks if you've read this far.
didnt know where else to post this so if there is a better part of the forum please direct me there :smile:
looking forward to peoples insights.

extra info
I studied geography, maths, physics at A level but i'm open to ideas in any field. as i like computers and spend my life on them but i think having a job purely based on them would be extremely boring :biggrin:
Original post by krily
Hello, i'm Owain.
I completed A levels (just about) and then have pretty much been at ASDA ever since.
I'm on here because i'm really starting to worry about my life and thought i try get some help on here, it cant hurt to try.
So my main problem is that i have no idea what i want to do with my life job/career wise. i haven't found anything that i'm passionate about and i'm to afraid to try things for the sake of trying them. I like to think i'm intelligent, got A*'s and A's at gcse's but then flunked A levels somewhat because i lost interest and haven't done any other education since.
So i'm just looking to see if there are people on here in a similar situation or have been and maybe have some helpful tips. Because i'm just throwing my life away. But i'm in an endless loop of being to scared to commit to anything but scared that i'm not doing anything and getting anywhere.

didnt know where else to post this so if there is a better part of the forum please direct me there :smile:

extra info
I studied geography, maths, physics at A level but i'm open to ideas in any field. as i like computers and spend my life on them but i think having a job purely based on them would be extremely boring :biggrin:

It's not unusual to re-evaluate where you are. I think you're far better placed in your twenties to make career choices because you have an idea of what it's like in the real world!

If you have an interest in a particular field could you go do an access course? It would give you the equivalent points to A levels and get you access to uni if you wanted.
Reply 2
OK, newish question.
I'd like to know how people came about finding a job or certain 'field' they wanted to work in.
there isnt any area that right now i feel like i want to go into. which is probably due to limited experience.
Reply 3
Original post by Friffinghell
It's not unusual to re-evaluate where you are. I think you're far better placed in your twenties to make career choices because you have an idea of what it's like in the real world!

If you have an interest in a particular field could you go do an access course? It would give you the equivalent points to A levels and get you access to uni if you wanted.

thanks for the reply.
i've been looking into doing a course in something as i definitely need the extra qualifications for my CV but i'm struggling finding the area i want to do it in. I have an interest in many fields but not passionate about any one field.
Original post by krily
thanks for the reply.
i've been looking into doing a course in something as i definitely need the extra qualifications for my CV but i'm struggling finding the area i want to do it in. I have an interest in many fields but not passionate about any one field.

Ok, well what are your interests?

I worked in Finance for 10 years until I decided 'To hell with it! ' Quit and went to Uni to do History as I've always found it interesting.
Reply 5
Ok, well what are your interests?

I worked in Finance for 10 years until I decided 'To hell with it! ' Quit and went to Uni to do History as I've always found it interesting.

Always good to hear people changing jobs, i'm always worrying i'll be stuck in something i dont like for ages because i need the money.
My Interest are hard so pin down.
i've always been good at subjects like maths but prefered physics which has similarities but it's more interesting as you're learning about the universe. (Brian Cox FTW)
also enjoyed geography, learning about our environment, was never very good at writing, essays sucked but i just like learning interesting facts.
Always had an interest in computers. i have been tempted to get into something like game design or something. as i'm a keen gamer in my spare time. but the more i look into it the more i don't actually like the idea of sitting at a computer every day :biggrin:
but i do play badminton and football and have done for over 10 years in both.

I just think it's hard to see what kind of jobs are out there in the different areas. there are so many different jobs that i've never heard of or seen people do which might be perfect for me. but no idea how to find them :biggrin:

thanks for replying again and taking some time to help me a bit :biggrin:
sorry if it's long winded
Original post by krily
Always good to hear people changing jobs, i'm always worrying i'll be stuck in something i dont like for ages because i need the money.
My Interest are hard so pin down.
i've always been good at subjects like maths but prefered physics which has similarities but it's more interesting as you're learning about the universe. (Brian Cox FTW)
also enjoyed geography, learning about our environment, was never very good at writing, essays sucked but i just like learning interesting facts.
Always had an interest in computers. i have been tempted to get into something like game design or something. as i'm a keen gamer in my spare time. but the more i look into it the more i don't actually like the idea of sitting at a computer every day :biggrin:
but i do play badminton and football and have done for over 10 years in both.

I just think it's hard to see what kind of jobs are out there in the different areas. there are so many different jobs that i've never heard of or seen people do which might be perfect for me. but no idea how to find them :biggrin:

thanks for replying again and taking some time to help me a bit :biggrin:
sorry if it's long winded

That's some very varied interests! Haha! What about doing Geography and Sciences?

I have a friend that has a successful career in game design but he is only one of many that i know that did the course. It's so competitive and there's not a lot happening in the Uk if this is where you want to stay long term?

With regards to future careers... have a look at vacancies boards and see what's out there.

If I were scientifically minded I'd be interested in renewable energy. DFID seems to do a lot of work with renewables and development overseas for example.

And you're so right- it is hard to know what jobs are out there for a general idea. Careers services are usually pants in my experience.

But yeah- take yourself on a wee google wormhole. Check all the different corporations and businesses in your line of interest. See if anything speaks to you.
Reply 7
That's some very varied interests! Haha! What about doing Geography and Sciences?

I have a friend that has a successful career in game design but he is only one of many that i know that did the course. It's so competitive and there's not a lot happening in the Uk if this is where you want to stay long term?

With regards to future careers... have a look at vacancies boards and see what's out there.

If I were scientifically minded I'd be interested in renewable energy. DFID seems to do a lot of work with renewables and development overseas for example.

And you're so right- it is hard to know what jobs are out there for a general idea. Careers services are usually pants in my experience.

But yeah- take yourself on a wee google wormhole. Check all the different corporations and businesses in your line of interest. See if anything speaks to you.

Cheers for the help, just talking to someone about it helps :smile:
i'll see how i get on and hope something pops up soon.
thanks again
and i'll let you leave now :biggrin:
Original post by krily
Cheers for the help, just talking to someone about it helps :smile:
i'll see how i get on and hope something pops up soon.
thanks again
and i'll let you leave now :biggrin:

I was skiving at work :tongue:

I think sometimes we feel like we're the only people having to deal with this stuff as it's pretty isolating. But the reality is that a lot of people are dealing with the same, or feel the same and choose not to deal with it. (Which sucks!)

Go watch some documentaries and keep an ear out for job names/companies. Then check their vacancies/requirements if it floats your boat!
Reply 9
hi I'm going through the same thing your going through not sure what to do you feel lost your wasting your life and everyone is passing you.. the advice i was told was try every thing see what you like and don't like put fear aside and take more risk career wise embrace change ... look into a career with computers since your interested well GOOD LUCK!
Original post by krily
Hello, i'm Owain.

extra info
I don't know much about working with computers, but I'm pretty sure you won't get bored doing a job related to that. What I do know is that at the rate technology and the world are developing your job won't be boring. There are so many new things to try out, and I think you'll be kept on your toes actually. Cliché, yes, but don't be too afraid to TRY, you could just stumble upon the job of your dreams ( heard and seen many cases of this ). Nothing in this world comes easy, this thought could give you the motivation to try something new. It may seem hard at first, but if you love it keep working at it.:smile:

Original post by krily
Hello, i'm Owain.

extra info

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending