The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE History B *Official Exam Thread*

AQA GCSE History B *Official Thread* 2017
Exam Dates are *5th and 14th June*
The countdown begins...

Hey! I realised we didn't have an official thread for history this year so thought I would make it for everyone. Its not long before our actual GCSE exams and time goes really fast.

How is everyone finding History so far?

Have you got any good tips for revision?

If anyone has got any good resources, please put them in the discussion to help everyone

I am currently doing the following topics for GCSE History:

Origins of the First World War

Peacemaking and the League of Nations

Hitlers Foreign Policy and the Origins of the Second World War

The Roaring 20s: USA

Hitlers Germany

Race Relations in the USA

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anybody got any predictions of what questions could come up for those topics? x
Reply 2
I'm studying:

-Peacekeeping and the League
-Origins of WWII
-The Early Cold War

-1920's USA
-1930's USA
-US in Vietnam

What I've been doing is making notes and really consolidating knowledge etc, for the origins of WW11 and Cold War I've found it really useful to sum things up into causes, events, results/reactions, facts & figures. I've also made timelines of events for those two units and then drawn lines to link every single event so I know how I could link them in a ten marker.

This was a little harder to do for the peacekeeping unit since that was more treaties and structure compared the the other two which was more a series of events. But, I've consolidated knowledge with notes, highlighted the responses and how it failed in keeping the peace, and wrote out a list of things and linked them all again for ten mark prep.

Best of luckkkk!
Original post by STUDENT2K17

The countdown begins...

Hey! I realised we didn't have an official thread for history this year so thought I would make it for everyone. Its not long before our actual GCSE exams and time goes really fast.

If anyone has got any good resources, please put them in the discussion to help everyone

Hitlers Germany

Yes, someone finally... i'm doing the exact same.:colondollar:

The countdown begins...

Hitlers Germany

Yes, I am doing the same but am struggling a bit with revision as there is so much to learn.
Guys can you please help me with how to answer the question! Like what's the best way to structure a 4,6,10,8 and 12 marks???? thanks
Original post by hogfe001
I made these revision notes on the topics i'm studying, so feel free to use them if you find them useful! :smile:

just looked at the first one... it looks really good! thanks x
Original post by hogfe001
I made these revision notes on the topics i'm studying, so feel free to use them if you find them useful! :smile:

These are amazing , thank you! I cant seem to notice that there is a "session 5" missing, would you be able to post that one too!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by orange565
Guys can you please help me with how to answer the question! Like what's the best way to structure a 4,6,10,8 and 12 marks???? thanks

UNIT 1

4 Mark - Describe
3/4 points
Brief, relevant comments
DON'T WRITE TOO MUCH

6 Mark - Explain (source)
Para 1 - What the Source says (Provenance, Purpose, content etc...)
Para 2 - Own Knowledge, Agree/Disagree? (Point, Evidence, Explain, Link to Question)

10 Mark
Question on two bullet points
Write at least 1 paragraph on both
Explain in terms of the question
2/3 explanations on both
CONCLUSION (Make a solid decision - don't sit on the fence)

UNIT 2

4 Mark - Explain
Same as unit 1

6 Mark - Explain
Own Knowledge only (no source)
Two Paragraphs with two reasons

10 Marks (No SPaG) - Source
3 Paragraphs Utility and conclusion
Content (Own Knowledge)
Provenance, Purpose, content etc...
Conclusion

8 Mark (Source?)
Own Knowledge + Source
Detailed description of several aspects (Include use of source)
Cause, event, impact on each paragraph

12 Mark (Plus 3 SPaG)
Interpretation - Agree/Disagree (Make a solid decision - don't sit on the fence)
How far? - Challenge it
Detailed Own Knowledge
JUDGEMENT in conclusion

This is the writing frame my teacher gave us, hope it's useful :smile:
Original post by matthew689
These are amazing , thank you! I cant seem to notice that there is a "session 5" missing, would you be able to post that one too!

Sorry! Here you go!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Princess_K
Yes, I am doing the same but am struggling a bit with revision as there is so much to learn.

I'd look at the spec (http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-9145-W-SP-15.PDF) and find the topics you're doing. Put the specification points into a table and research what aspects of it you don't know/are weakest on. I've done that so today (the day before my exam) i'm just looking through to see what it is in need to focus on remembering
Reply 12
What was the 4 mark question on Origins of the Cold War?
Agreements made at the Yalta Conference
Reply 14
Original post by alexcruickshank
Agreements made at the Yalta Conference

My friend said it was specifically what they agreed on about Germany but I wrote about the USSR joining the war against Japan and free elections. The only problem is that no one can remember whether Germany was mentioned in the question
How did you all find the exam????
I did topic 4, 5 and 6
I wrote the same as you! But I mentioned the division of Ger into 4 states too.
I don't think you had to though :smile:
Original post by Lreid12
My friend said it was specifically what they agreed on about Germany but I wrote about the USSR joining the war against Japan and free elections. The only problem is that no one can remember whether Germany was mentioned in the question
Original post by Lreid12
it was definitely about germany, i had to change my answer when i realized.

i said germany in 4, berlin in 4, mentioned who owned each sector, and i mentioned the fact that stalin wanted more reparations (i know that last bit might be wrong but thought was worth a shot)

The countdown begins...

Hitlers Germany

I am studying the same topic except "Race Relations in USA". I am doing "War in Vietnam" instead
Original post by Princess_K

how did you find paper 1?

Quick Reply

Latest