The Student Room Group

WJEC ICT 1 AS Level - 5th June 2017

Hi, how did people find the WJEC ICT 1, AS Exam today?

Last year I got a U and was repeating. To find it to be even harder :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Aaron2515
Hi, how did people find the WJEC ICT 1, AS Exam today?

Last year I got a U and was repeating. To find it to be even harder :frown:

I revised loads but I found that really tough
Reply 2
Original post by oliviekr
I revised loads but I found that really tough

Yeah mate it was really hard. I mean last year I found hard, but this was worse. Did so many AS papers and they all had similar questions. But today had questions never seen before and stuff I have never been taught. Hope the grade boundaries are low. Don't worry about A2 next year, if you're not in year 13. It's a lot easier than the AS.
Reply 3
Any of you know if there's an unofficial mark scheme for it??
Reply 4
Original post by ItzMakaa

No, sorry not sure where to find that
Reply 5
No, sorry not sure where to find that

Ok no problem thanks
Reply 6
Original post by ItzMakaa

Yeah would love to see one haha not sure if someone is making one though!
Original post by mayhs98
Yeah would love to see one haha not sure if someone is making one though!

Hi, well here are all of the questions I think off the top of my head:

Q1 - two examples of the relationship between information and knowledge. (4 marks)
Q2 - HCI- A use an advantage, and a disadvantage of touch sensitive and game playing device. (6 marks)
Q3 - How good quality info can add value to an organisation. (4 marks)
Q4 - Three costs of obtaining good quality information (three stages) (6 marks)
Q5 - Use of word processing software, how would: Templates, Macros and Mailmerge benefit a hospital. Q6 - Differences between large scale DTP, and house DTP (4 marks)
Q7 - Define the term validation, give two validation techniques in online banking. (5 marks)
Q8 - Describe three different acts, and explain the malpractice they are designed to prevent (7 marks) Q9 - give four uses of sensors in hospitals (2 marks) Q10 - Two advantages (other than availability) (2 marks)
Q11 - How hospitals use ICT to control the hospital (or something like that can't remember) (4 marks?) Q12 - similarities and differences of MRI and CAT. (5 marks)
Q13 - Give other methodologies that are used currently, and will be used in the future. (6 marks) Section B:
Q14 - give hardware requirements for weather forecasting, give two physical quantities it measures and two advantages. (4 marks)
Q15 - One formula used in spreadsheet from list A or B. (4 marks)
Q16 - Give the purpose of a startup user interface used on a spreadsheet. (2 marks)
Q17 - Give two methods of simplifying data entry used in spreadsheet. (4 marks)
Q18 - State the purpose of: A SORT A SEARCH ABSOLUTE CELL ADRESSSING. (6 marks)
Reply 8
Original post by SinnigoTV

Q1 - two examples of the relationship between information and knowledge. (4 marks)
Q2 - HCI- A use an advantage, and a disadvantage of touch sensitive and game playing device. (6 marks)
Q5 - Use of word processing software, how would: Templates, Macros and Mailmerge benefit a hospital. Q6 - Differences between large scale DTP, and house DTP (4 marks)
Q7 - Define the term validation, give two validation techniques in online banking. (5 marks)
Q8 - Describe three different acts, and explain the malpractice they are designed to prevent (7 marks) Q9 - give four uses of sensors in hospitals (2 marks) Q10 - Two advantages (other than availability) (2 marks)
Q11 - How hospitals use ICT to control the hospital (or something like that can't remember) (4 marks?) Q12 - similarities and differences of MRI and CAT. (5 marks)
Q13 - Give other methodologies that are used currently, and will be used in the future. (6 marks) Section B:
Q14 - give hardware requirements for weather forecasting, give two physical quantities it measures and two advantages. (4 marks)
Q16 - Give the purpose of a startup user interface used on a spreadsheet. (2 marks)

You have a great memory. Thanks for this.

Found Q6 , Q11 , Q14, Q16 (though simple) and Q18 very odd
Reply 9

Thanks - well remembered!

For the HCI question I might have messed up because I didn't state that a game playing device was an example of a GUI? Is that required? I also put a disadvantage of a game playing device was addiction + social isolation and the advantage as fun to use / colourful.

For the touch sensitive device i put for use: buying tickets at a train station, advantage: quicker to enter information than typing as you dont need a keyboard, disadvantage: you might not have all the options you need and dirt can cause problems

How many marks do you think I'd get for that question (out of 6)

Also for Q16 I put the startup user inference would be user-friendly for the user as they are novice users of spreadsheet software. Would that get me a mark perhaps?

For Q13 I talked about expert systems, blood tracking and body scanning??

For Q8 (acts and crimes) I was talking about allocation of access levels to users by managers (i didn't put auditors as I forgot to use that word), investigating instances of bug abuses of the system?
Reply 10
I got 91% on my coursework, how many marks would I need to get a C overall im wondering cause today i thought i failed yo :frown: feelsrealbadman
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by mayhs98

For the HCI question I might have messed up because I didn't state that a game playing device was an example of a GUI? Is that required? I also put a disadvantage of a game playing device was addiction + social isolation and the advantage as fun to use / colourful.

For the touch sensitive device i put for use: buying tickets at a train station, advantage: quicker to enter information than typing as you dont need a keyboard, disadvantage: you might not have all the options you need and dirt can cause problems

Also for Q16 I put the startup user inference would be user-friendly for the user as they are novice users of spreadsheet software. Would that get me a mark perhaps?

For Q8 (acts and crimes) I was talking about allocation of access levels to users by managers (i didn't put auditors as I forgot to use that word), investigating instances of bug abuses of the system?

Think you did quite well on those questions. However, Q8 is the only one which may have not went as well. Thought it was more on the DPA, Computer Misuse Act and Copyright, Design and Patents Act
Reply 12
Think you did quite well on those questions. However, Q8 is the only one which may have not went as well. Thought it was more on the DPA, Computer Misuse Act and Copyright, Design and Patents Act

Definitely yeah, one mark scheme talks about this which is what I wrote in the exam (ish):

and another other mark scheme talks about DPA, copyright act, misuse act etc. as you've stated:

and then you've got a slightly different MS to the other 2 posted above:

So yeah and in terms of the other questions, I know from personal experience as I've sat this paper before the WJEC examiners are really really harsh markers and basically ***** so that's why even if i've answered a question thats nearly there but just one or two words of the MS then I'll probably not get a mark for it like for example not saying a game playing device for an example of GUI. I just put the name of a game playing device like playstation / xbox.
Original post by mayhs98

Hi! I wouldn't worry it seems you've done alright. For a game playing device, a simple use of saying a "joystick" on a flight sim would get you the mark there.
The start up interface I think was to do with navigational macros. If you've mentioned user friendliness I think you'll be alright.
Q16, I'm not too sure, I think it's to do with PET, Blood tracking with bar codes ext.
For Q8, I reckon it's naming the three acts, giving an example of malpractice then an extension mark. This probably being gained by adding two malpractices for an act).
I think this in all was an okay paper, however the health care was completetly unusual to any past paper resources I have seen...

Yeah, I think simply naming an act would give you at least one mark
Reply 15
Hi! I wouldn't worry it seems you've done alright. For a game playing device, a simple use of saying a "joystick" on a flight sim would get you the mark there.
The start up interface I think was to do with navigational macros. If you've mentioned user friendliness I think you'll be alright.
Q16, I'm not too sure, I think it's to do with PET, Blood tracking with bar codes ext.
For Q8, I reckon it's naming the three acts, giving an example of malpractice then an extension mark. This probably being gained by adding two malpractices for an act).
I think this in all was an okay paper, however the health care was completetly unusual to any past paper resources I have seen...

Yeah fingers crossed. Are you in year 12 or 13?
Also for my spreadsheet i dont think i actually have evidence of sort but i remember using it on my price column to display the most expensve prices first and then i just said the purpouse was the shop owner to identify what the most expensive product was and leaat expensive but yeah like i said i dont have it clearly on my spreadsheet.

Same with the user interface. I just said its user friendly but my spreadsheet just goes straight into it with all the cells etc.
Yeah mate it was really hard. I mean last year I found hard, but this was worse. Did so many AS papers and they all had similar questions. But today had questions never seen before and stuff I have never been taught. Hope the grade boundaries are low. Don't worry about A2 next year, if you're not in year 13. It's a lot easier than the AS.

Wow is it? That's encouraging sorry for the short answers on new to this
Reply 17
Original post by oliviekr
Wow is it? That's encouraging sorry for the short answers on new to this

A2 is in a way easier as there are less topics and no spreadsheet faffle with section B but the actual content is argubly a little harder to make up for the less topics on A2 so yeah.
Original post by mayhs98
Yeah fingers crossed. Are you in year 12 or 13?
Also for my spreadsheet i dont think i actually have evidence of sort but i remember using it on my price column to display the most expensve prices first and then i just said the purpouse was the shop owner to identify what the most expensive product was and leaat expensive but yeah like i said i dont have it clearly on my spreadsheet.

Same with the user interface. I just said its user friendly but my spreadsheet just goes straight into it with all the cells etc.

I'm in year 12 😀 If you said what page it's on, and why you required the data to be sorted. At least one mark hopefully.
For the user interface, if you mentioned user friendliness than you could get a mark.
What year are you in? And I've literally spent days learning the mark scheme word for word as I've heard about how badly people do on the course!!
You have a great memory. Thanks for this.

Found Q6 , Q11 , Q14, Q16 (though simple) and Q18 very odd

Yeah I completely agree with you! They seemed to throw a lot of question that I couldn't answer properly because I didn't recognise the question. (And that's what you have to do to do well on this course right, because the examiners are very harsh :frown:)
Glad it helpled! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending