The Student Room Group

Let's have a look at the state of YOUR education system

With reference to our very own in-house poll of voting intentions, there is a wide discrepancy between its results and that of public opinion in general. Life experience will always create a divide, it is natural to be more idealistic when young but a poll among non-students looks very different. How to explain that?

Our education system is there to equip people with an ability to understand the world and what makes it tick, a thinking ability they can use in discussion forums and to form and discuss ideas with. We want to promote a free-thinking society where people can go on TSR and healthily engage in vigorous debates on the issues of the day, with well thought out arguments and opinions, the ability to listen to and understand different views, a healthy free society depends on the free flow, debate and exchange of ideas. That is what we want, isn't it?

So, allowing for the youtful drag and that this is Potter generation, and based on TSR's poll and public debate...

Is your education sysytem doing a good job at equipping our youngsters with a thinking ability, an analytical and inquisitive sound mind to carry with you into society? Because the gulf between them and their elders in their perception of the world is probably more pronounced than ever before. Are you happy with the direction that trend is going?

Who is wrong and what does the TSR poll tell us about YOUR education system?
(edited 6 years ago)
Probe into efficiency in YOUR education system at delivering thinking units generates... no thoughts. Sounds like a tabloid header, dunnit?

Never a question has been answered so conclusively and swiftly in this forum, proud of it! :biggrin:
Original post by zhog
Probe into efficiency in YOUR education system at delivering thinking units generates... no thoughts. Sounds like a tabloid header, dunnit?

Never a question has been answered so conclusively and swiftly in this forum, proud of it! :biggrin:

Can you ask your question again please? It seems you aren't being very clear.
Is the idea that education is supposed to be having the most profound effect on the difference between old and young in the polls? Your OP isn't very clear.
Original post by SonoLuma
Can you ask your question again please? It seems you aren't being very clear.

Our TSR poll puts Labour (last time I looked) on over 50%, Con were on less than 20 and weren't even second. That is well out of step with general polls including non-students. Making allowances for traditional youngsters' idealism and the amount of time spent by this generation in Potter world... how to account for that discrepancy? Non-students have a rather different perception of the world and we must query an education system that delivers units with a distorted perception of the world. If that is the cas, that is what we want to find out..

Q: Is the system doing something wrong or is it non-students who don't 'get' the real picture?

A:

ps, just before someone asks, that void after A means you must think the matter through, analyze it thoroughly, arrive at a conclusion you will be able to back up in a cogent and coherent manner, answer in your own words, anything between 20 and a thousand. It's not that I supplied the answer and forgot to put in options for you to pick one but something went wrong. No time limit or compulsion to answer (although that may be recorded in the findings of the survey). NO USE OF C&P!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by zhog
Our TSR poll puts Labour (last time I looked) on over 50%, Con were on less than 20 and weren't even second. That is well out of step with general polls including non-students. Making allowances for traditional youngsters' idealism and the amount of time spent by this generation in Potter world... how to account for that discrepancy? Non-students have a rather different perception of the world and we must query an education system that delivers units with a distorted perception of the world. If that is the cas, that is what we want to find out..

Q: Is the system doing something wrong or is it non-students who don't 'get' the real picture?

A:

ps, just before someone asks, that void after A means you must think the matter through, analyze it thoroughly, arrive at a conclusion you will be able to back up in a cogent and coherent manner, answer in your own words, anything between 20 and a thousand. It's not that I supplied the answer and forgot to put in options for you to pick one but something went wrong. No time limit or compulsion to answer (although that may be recorded in the findings of the survey). NO USE OF C&P!!!

I am sure you are aware that is a very complex question. One thing I feel I should ask first is about this TSR poll about students political leanings. How large was the sample on this TSR poll? And what do you mean by "potter world"?

General polls take a massive sample compared to TSR's poll. You can't honestly compare a nationwide poll with a single TSR poll... Not all students use TSR, so it is nowhere near representative, as well as the fact that more young people use this site than older people.

For some reason I feel like you are asking a bit of a loaded question...
I don't know why you fluff this question out when you're intention seems pretty clear to me.

For those that couldn't decipher this, the OP wants to know if you think young people are stupid and uneducated because polls on TSR tend to heavily favour left wing parties over right wing one's.
When you have students with £50k debt you will find that they tend not to vote for the people who really ****ed them.

In fact they will vote for the people pledging to make it better.

It isn't rocket surgery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SonoLuma
I am sure you are aware that is a very complex question.

Or a simple question with a complex answer.

And what do you mean by "potter world"?

The fictional world.
Original post by mojojojo101
I don't know why you fluff this question out when you're intention seems pretty clear to me.

You seem to have understood it. Almost.

For those that couldn't decipher this, the OP wants to know if you think young people are stupid and uneducated because polls on TSR tend to heavily favour left wing parties over right wing one's.

It's not like that, it's to find out if it is students who are reading the poliical picture 'right' or is it their elders who are 'wrong' in their significantly different perception of the real world. I'm not necessarily apportioning 'stupidity' to either party but at the same time we can't just put it down to youth. Mrs, T was reading political and economic philosophy in her mid-teens, that's how you get to go places.
(edited 6 years ago)
You claim that the youth are more likely to be idealistic and vote a certain way.

You use a TSR poll on voting intentions to demonstrate the gulf between TSR and 'real-world'.

You neglect to point out that the people who would vote on a TSR poll about electoral preference are those who are already more engaged in politics than the majority of their counterparts.

You neglect to point out that there's likely a high proportion of those who voted in the TSR poll who can't vote in the election.

Your presumption that the TSR poll tells us anything is where you fall down. It doesn't. It just tells us that the more politically active amongst the younger generation are left leaning.
As they always have been.
5 paragraphs of BS could've been settled in 5 words. Please come back when you decide to stop beating around the bush hun :smile:
Original post by zhog
It's not like that, it's to find out if it is students who are reading the poliical picture 'right' or is it their elders who are 'wrong' in their significantly different perception of the real world. I'm not necessarily apportioning 'stupidity' to either party but at the same time we can't just put it down to youth. Mrs, T was reading political and economic philosophy in her mid-teens, that's how you get to go places.

There's no such thing as right or wrong in this context. That's a fundamental error on your part. You completely misunderstand the nature of politics.
Original post by Drewski
Your presumption that the TSR poll tells us anything is where you fall down. It doesn't.

Really? So why do we have a TSR poll, why bother with it? Complete waste of time if it tells us nothing. Get rid of it, bin it.

Is there a way this thread can be deleted, my curiosity has been satisfied long ago and nobody is interested anyway. Bin it together with the TSR poll that tells us nothing, both equally useless.
Original post by zhog
Really? So why do we have a TSR poll, why bother with it?

Because people like to feel involved.

Why does Buzzfeed have surveys asking you what kind of cheese you are? Not everything needs a purpose. Some things just 'are' - but you don't need to draw conclusions from them.
Original post by zhog
Or a simple question with a complex answer.

The fictional world.

Ah. It seems you are asking a loaded question. I'm not playing mate. You'll have to lead someone else down to your soapbox.

Maybe you'll find what you seek if you treat people with more respect, and not a figurine in your little engineered scenario.

Don't beat around the bush with dishonourable tactics. Level and be honest with people if you want a true and fair dialogue. As it stands, you are just coming off as pompous and with misguided condescension.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending