The Student Room Group

Qualifications needed to be a teacher in UK

What A levels do you require and what degree do you need to become a primary school teacher in UK?
I did do research on it but can't get it specific.
Original post by Sam S.
What A levels do you require and what degree do you need to become a primary school teacher in UK?
I did do research on it but can't get it specific.

It doesn't really matter what A level you do though national curriculum subjects may be preferred.

As for degrees, if you know you only want to be a primary school teacher then you can either do a BEd or BA in Primary Education with QTS.

Or if you want to widen your career choices, you can do any undergraduate degree you're interested in followed by a year of PGCE to gain the QTS. This is personally the route I'm going in.
Reply 2
The most common route, and what I did, is a degree in the subject you want to teach (so for primary this could be anything) and a teacher training qualification (usually one year), most common would be a PGCE or similar however you can do various teacher training programmes including "schools direct" or "teach first" but my knowledge of these is next to zero.

As @1secondofvamps suggests you can do a degree in education if you want but be warned if teaching is not for you I am not sure what careers you could do after your degree. Doing a PGCE opens up the door for a masters in education, I am not sure how many people do this, I was the only one in my class!

Generally, A-levels do not matter, but if you do have an A-level in shortage subject (notably maths and physics) you can teach it solely in secondary schools or colleges.
Reply 3
Hi..

I will study Special Educational Needs and Disability in UoB. My background was a Bachelor Degree in Psychology and I had 6 years of experience in teaching Special needs children (No qualification or certification). With my background, can I work (part time) as a teacher assistant or a teacher?

Thanks.
Reply 4
You can as a TA, but to Teach you will need a PGCE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by bob0079
You can as a TA, but to Teach you will need a PGCE

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought you needed QTS to teach in England and Wales, not PGCE?
Original post by Mizbiz1
I thought you needed QTS to teach in England and Wales, not PGCE?

QTS is Qualified tTeacher Status = the 'registration' qualification

PGCE/PGDE - post grad certifcate / diploma in education is oneofthe main routes of getting QTS ( there are also none QTS PGCEs which are designed for educational roles in FE or professional practice - ap GCE for a health professional might be towards their '2nd level' teaching qualification - the first level teaching Q for a Health professional beign Supporting Learning in Plractice aka Mentorship )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending